My view of Taisamlu (Alulu) Ukulele's.

anthonyg

Reaction score
I'm not selling anything here. Its a shame that that last thread turned into such a flame fest.

I have 3 Alulu ukulele's now. They're not perfect but they are a step up from Brucewei's instruments.

Yes they are Acacia. He states Acacia Koa as they all do. OK, its Acacia and that's fine. The timber is a a little more mature than other Vietnamese ukulele's. 2 are built perfectly accurately and a baritone I have can do with some adjustment at the nut but the saddle is positioned correctly.

Decorations? I have no idea how he does it and I'm not an expert. They look good. They sound good. They come with hard cases and he ships them VERY quickly.

They're not Kamaka quality. That's just ridiculous and they can do with a setup but they are worth looking at.

Anthony

I think this should be in a different section. Anyway, let the mod decide.
The UU senior members were just very concerned with the careless use of the term "Koa", especially in the UU marketplace, hence many raised their concerns and objections. While we can't control how other sites use this term, the UU members do not want to see that happen here in this forum.

From what I know, the reviews about the the qualities of Alulu uke are inconsistent - so this comes down to a lucky draw.

Last edited:
Yup. Moved this to Uke Talk. :)

I think this should be in a different section. Anyway, let the mod decide.
The UU senior members were just very concerned with the careless use of the term "Koa", especially in the UU marketplace, hence many raised their concerns and objections. While we can't control how other sites use this term, the UU members do not want to see that happen here in this forum.

From what I know, the reviews about the the qualities of Alulu uke are inconsistent - so this comes down to a lucky draw.

I agree and that poster was doing Alulu ukulele's no favours. They are decent ukulele's but they didn't need to be oversold. Seeing as I watch a number of Taisamlu auctions I hadn't remembered seeing that particular design come without a finnish. He sells some kits that people can glue together themselves and finnish.

Anyway he lists his instruments as being made from Acacia Koa or sometimes Hawaiian Koa or Hawaiian Curl Koa. Acacia Koa isn't strictly accurate but I don't think he's being deliberately deceptive.

Here's an original song of mine played on a Alulu ACACIA 8 sting tenor. The song is called, Fire Raging,

Anthony

Last edited:
Very nice, Anthony! Love that style of rhythmic pick'n'strum thing - don't rightly know what it's called and I've never been able to get the hang of it myself.

John

Thanks guys and gals.
My picking style is to alternate between 3 and 4 with my thumb EVERY beat and then one finger each for the 1st and 2nd strings. Often I'm playing thumb, finger 1, thumb, finger 2 but I do mix it up a bit pattern wise. Sometimes I'm pinching. This particular song I'm also hammering on the notes on the fretboard which isn't something I normally do.

Anthony

Last edited:
Top Bottom