Black Friday visit with Mike at Uke Republic

Uke Whisperer

Reaction score
My wife and I spent Thanksgiving and a few extra days with family in Snellville, Ga. Friday, some of the group decided to spend a few hours at the nearest mall and a few of us decided to take a ride across Atlanta to Austell, GA to visit the Uke Republic shop. Glad we did! We spent a few hours visiting with Mike and I got the opportunity to strum a BUNCH of nice Ukes. Found a couple that I wanted to purchase but since I had just purchased a Tenor from Mike (on-line) a few weeks back I decided to fight the UAS and only purchase a few string sets, a Uke strap and some Uke related jewelry (for Granddaughter). I kicked myself all the way back across town for not purchasing at least one of the Ukes! When we arrived back to Snellville the first thing my wife asked was for me to show her the Ukes I had purchased! Guess I will be calling-in an order for one this week. (That will make four from Uke Republic)

I really enjoyed meeting Mike and spending time with him in his really nice shop, which by the way, is located in a beautifully renovated, historically designated thread mill (you can read about it on Uke Republic’s Web Page).

My other half would be carefully casting an eye over my collection for the one I'd sneaked in when I got back ;)

Anyone can buy a ukulele. There are several online retailers who will do you right when buying through them. But I believe an instrument needs to be held, cradled, and played before purchase. How many times have you heard "the pictures don't do it justice"? Two of the same models can sound just different enough to make a difference to you.

By taking the trip, meeting the people face to face (!), and actually playing the instruments, the ukulele has added value. The story makes it better. Now that you've been there, scanned the shelves, and got the green light from the wife, all bets are ON.

That's great and I'd love to visit Mike's shop. But to reply to this post, that's all well and good, but what are those of us who don't have uke shops in their country that even have one single decent uke supposed to do? Whenever people say stuff like this, it always reads as an insult. Some of us can't afford to to leave the country just to buy a uke. It doesn't make our ears, or our hands any worse for putting our trust in reputable online stores.

Of which... Mike is one of those.

Anyone can buy a ukulele. There are several online retailers who will do you right when buying through them. But I believe an instrument needs to be held, cradled, and played before purchase. How many times have you heard "the pictures don't do it justice"? Two of the same models can sound just different enough to make a difference to you.

By taking the trip, meeting the people face to face (!), and actually playing the instruments, the ukulele has added value. The story makes it better. Now that you've been there, scanned the shelves, and got the green light from the wife, all bets are ON.

Oh Oh I wish I could visit Mike...he is one real nice guy....and I would like to visit his new shop....if I go, I know I would not be leaving without a couple ukes...
for sure....thank you for sharing your story and one day I will get there...until then, I will have to order from the phone or online..

Ah, reminds me of my own journey to Uke Republic back in the Spring, where I picked up my little Sailor Brand Soprano. Gonna have to get back down to Hot 'Lanta before long.

Just remember, you must budget for at least one new uke when you visit Mike's store! :shaka:

Does Mike offer airport shuttles? Not that I'm going home anytime soon, but Atlanta is a popular hub, and you gotta figure there's a nonzero number of visiting UUers who might pass through there.

Not that he should be expected to offer a shuttle of course, but if he did, it should have sirens and signs warning traffic that UAS sufferers were passing through. :)

Ah, reminds me of my own journey to Uke Republic back in the Spring, where I picked up my little Sailor Brand Soprano. Gonna have to get back down to Hot 'Lanta before long.

Just remember, you must budget for at least one new uke when you visit Mike's store! :shaka:

Thanks for posting about your experience. Please let us know if/when you buy an ukulele as a result of your visit.

I've never been to Atlanta but I've always wanted to do the Peachtree Road race 10K because, I've heard, there's nothing quite like running a 10K race in Georgia in July. :) And now I could run in the race and then reward myself with a trip to Uke Republic. Mike seems like a great guy and I keep looking for an opportunity to buy something from him.

Last edited:
Does Mike offer airport shuttles? Not that I'm going home anytime soon, but Atlanta is a popular hub, and you gotta figure there's a nonzero number of visiting UUers who might pass through there.

Not that he should be expected to offer a shuttle of course, but if he did, it should have sirens and signs warning traffic that UAS sufferers were passing through. :)

That thought has crossed my mine :) I'm only about a 20 minute drive from Atlanta Airport and only 10 or so from Six Flags. So fly in , ride a roller coaster and stop by and see us @ Uke Republic! If you can't make it in check out our NEW!!! web site. :)

Top Bottom