Cuban Mahogany

tonewood

Reaction score
My friend over here has planted large acres of various trees going back about 17 years. He is starting to get organized and getting a small mill up and running.Its pretty cool, his mill is going to be powered by the wind exclusively. Anyway my question is do any of you know anything about Cuban Mahogany. Do you like it? He said its a completely different tree then Honduran. Said its superior? What do you think. Im sure hoping to find fiddleback curl in some of his Honduran Mahogany trees. Thanks

I've only built J45 guitars out of it but it was wonderful to work with. And like Allen, if you find any figured stuff, let me know!

There was a Cuban Mahogany tree that was planted by King Kamehameha V 150 years ago was and fell two years ago so there is cuban in Hawaii...They cloned it so they could have more for the next generation. Charlie Fukuba of I'iwi Ukulele got some of that wood.

Glad to see that you got some Cuban to work with. One of my ukes is from Cuban Hog but don't know anything about tonal qualities. I like it because its unique. Are there any laws to export out?

Last edited:
I have Cuban Mahogany from two different sources. Pelau in the South Pacific where it was planted in the 1800's, and a tree that was blown down by Hurricane Rita in Florida. They are both Swietenia mahagoni, but there is a marked difference in the look of the grain and figure.
So far, I would rather work Cuban Mahogany than any other wood.

It will if it grows in Darwin. Those trees are huge.

I have a mate that has his garage filled with the stuff, but it's all pretty plane in the grain department. They knock it down as fast as it grows....and burn it.

Hehe I just published an article on Cuban Mahogany in Guitarbench Magazine,

You can see the full details here:

http://www.guitarbench.com/2008/12/18/cuban-mahogany-tonewood-database/ and there is a bit of uke content too, with the Devine Cuban Mahogany Tenor featured too (actually I already posted that up on a different thread)

But here is a photo:

cuban-mahogany-ukulele-front-quarter.jpg

This is beautiful. How old a cuban mahogany should get before it start getting this kind of figure? Is age the main factor here?

Hehe I just published an article on Cuban Mahogany in Guitarbench Magazine,

You can see the full details here:

http://www.guitarbench.com/2008/12/18/cuban-mahogany-tonewood-database/ and there is a bit of uke content too, with the Devine Cuban Mahogany Tenor featured too (actually I already posted that up on a different thread)

But here is a photo:

cuban-mahogany-ukulele-front-quarter.jpg

Top Bottom