Guidelines for Season 2 Seasons of the Ukulele

ukuloonie

Reaction score
Howdo Ukuloonie here
I'm just getting ready for the new season and I was thinking that we need to iron out some guidelines to help new hosts or participants to get a better idea of what we do. I want to keep this as easy going as possible, cause otherwise it ain't fun and that is what this season is all about to have fun share your love for Music, The Ukulele and to get to know people you would never meet in any normal circumstance and to become more of a community.

Do any of these ideas sound good?

Do you have any other suggestions that I could include?

Most of these ideas we are doing already they just needed to be formed into a more cohesive manner.

Seasonistas:
These are ideas for shaping the Seasons challenges a little bit in the second year, so everyone has similar expectations. Notice the word is "guidelines," not "rules"---we're still the easy-going Seasonistas.

Should the Seasons be a separate section of the Forum like the Ukulele builders/Luthier lounge, Maybe lounge in the Seasons section?

GUIDELINES FOR HOSTS (not rules)

1. Seasons hosts should have the Seasonista experience. Only one posted video in a Season makes you a Seasonista, so jump in somewhere before you sign up to host.

People can host 2 times per season, people and can host a third just that they should be willing to share that week if a person who hasn't hosted at all that year would like to have a go. We get new people joining in all the time.
Would there be a better way to deal with this in the aloha spirit?

2. Hosts should at least acknowledge every entry and comment on it.

3. Hosts should make every effort to comment often. It feels much more like a party if the host comments regularly through the week. Working people may find it hard, but the host should try to check in daily and at least let participants know when the comments on all posts and the results are expected.
Maybe if you can't comment often, don't choose that week to host.

4. Hosts should try to wrap up judging/selecting fairly quickly. The Seasons are very fast-moving, and it will be simpler to keep track if they wrap up soon after the entry time ends. (Maybe the Saturday after it ends?)
This will simplify the confusing weekends.

5. Hosts should pay particular attention to new posters, because for many people, it takes nerve to reveal themselves in their playing. A warm welcome is likely to keep them coming back.

THEME
Try to choose a theme that has not been done before.

Some themes have been a particular artist (Woody Guthrie), a musical style (country, Latin-influenced), a musical era (British invasion), a musical effect (percussion), a natural element (rain), an abstract concept (home, dreams, heaven/hell), another language (French), multiple versions of one song (Take Me Out to the Ballgame), and let's-have-fun ideas (guilty pleasures).

TIMING
A Season begins on Saturday---and please late on Saturday evening in the US so the previous week is not disrupted early. It ends 8 days later on Sunday midnight (usually on Hawaii time).

PARAMETERS
Entries must be new recordings for the Season and must say so in the video. One entry per Season.
Beyond that, the host chooses what qualifies (e.g., one take only, costumes, multitracking, what earns bonus points). Sometimes a host rules out a song or two for being too obvious for the theme.
Bonus songs may have other parameters.
RECOMMEND A LIMIT to bonus entries per person---host to decide.

JUDGING
Choose any method. Judging on skill,Participants vote, selecting with thrown knives, participant votes, and drawing from a hat all have worked. Hybrid styles work too. (Participants of lower skill levels have a chance to win with drawings.)

PRIZES
Whatever the host wants to give. They usually have some relation to ukes, music, or the theme of the week. Sometimes they're jokes. Generally they are of little monetary value. The host sends them to the winners.

To the Participants:
Do you crave and enjoy feedback and encouragement? Every player does!
Boost your karma by commenting on entries, even those that don't seem special to you. Those players are doing their best at their own levels.

Try to comment in the thread without copying the video as the thread gets very long and heard to go through when looking for new entries.

Last edited:
I think all of these are fantastic guidelines, Drew. I agreed with Dave (TCK) in a thread in the UU forums business section (or whatever that's called) that I thought the Seasons were now big enough to be their own sub-forum, but I'm not sure whatever happened to that idea... maybe now that Jon is a mod, he can either decide for or against, or at least bring it up with the powers that be?

Here's a thought, I wonder if it were to truly become it's own sub-board, if it should fully morph into more of an open mic and less of a contest. No physical prizes, but still hosted weekly, with an applause-o-meter, or something, but that it's all in good fun... There's been some discussion of this in times past.. Now that we're talking about codifying, it's just a thought.

I would say that we should go easy on the rule about how many times one can host in a year -- I've hosted thrice, as have a couple of others... if there's enough demand, then great! But maybe limit to two during 'sign-up season' and then open it up to more after that, knowing that you might be asked to step away for your third, or whatever?

Anyway, thanks, Drew, for taking on the mantle of Secretary of Seasons. We couldn't do it without you.

Lot to digest there, but I will give it a go.
YES- the seasons should be a separate forum at this point, with the guidelines for hosting and playing at the top.
I really like what is set forth here in terms of what the responsibilities of a host are, and all these things should be considerations before hosting.
I also like what you said about new players, but would like to add something. Simply paying attention to new folks is one thing, but the animal grows when they feel appreciated for putting themselves out there, we know that. It would be nice if there was a way to add in addition to First Second and Third place some sort of "New Seasonist" award where possible.

It would be nice if there was a way to add in addition to First Second and Third place some sort of "New Seasonist" award where possible.

Rookie of the Season

Except I've got to admit I haven't taken part in every season, so I could think someone is a first-timer when they've entered a few seasons already.

Rookie of the Season

Except I've got to admit I haven't taken part in every season, so I could think someone is a first-timer when they've entered a few seasons already.

Yep -- but that's never stopped the Grammy's. A lot of times, Best New Artist has been out there hoofin' it for a long time. I like this idea, but wonder how to put it into practice. What's the cutoff?

Love where you're coming from Drew and thankyou for noting that these are "guidelines" only. Hard-and-fast rules only end up alienating folks.

Your comments on timing are interesting. I think there is sure a danger of hosts feeling a little deflated when the next season is posted too early and their season hasn't run its full course. Takes some of the joy away no doubt as people migrate away from their thread in a way that is a little pre-emptive. I think the new seasons should not be posted until the Sunday myself so there is less mutual crossover time. Given the speed at which members generally post videos I don't think a day lost would make any difference at all to the number of songs entered.

The general principles you've outlined really do stand in accordance with how Christian set it up, and how it has continued to evolve: as a community oriented thing that is inclusive and encouraging to old and new members alike.

So, in my humble view, you are AWESOME Drew. :) Thankyou for taking leadership in this brother, it's very much appreciated by all of us.

Re the seasons becoming a self-contained board, I will need to make inquiries to seeso about doing that. That is an administrative tool that seeso can only initiate with the blessing of Ryan, Aldrine and Aaron. As moderators we are not equipped with that capability. I will get onto it though and get back to you mate.

Thanks Guys for your support,
I don't want credit for all of it, I have spoken to a few members to help figure this out
and I want to thank Ginny really helping me put this thread together,
there were other helping me with these ideas as well.

I like the Idea from Jon about starting a little later for the new week of the seasons.
I've had this feeling myself about the cross over time. I even thought of starting on
Monday but with peoples work schedules Sunday night does sound a bit better.
Then Saturday is the absolute latest if possible to release the names of ?winners?

Does the open mike theme get addressed when we do bonus songs?

I like the great mention, new member, rookie award idea.
helps with the Aloha Spirit of the Seasons.

I'm just trying to put it all together.

Some good thinking here.
Matty Dee - LOVE the idea of an open mic rather than a "contest".
Is the idea of winning why members post videos to a Season?
I doubt it.
I think it more to enter the spirit and share a song that required some thought to choose and produce.

Personally - I could really do without PRIZES.

Really like the idea of the host being actively involved during their week. Not so sure about the sometimes long "presentation" videos??

Strongly agree about not reposting any entered videos. I went though all previous seasons to have a good look at the songs shared and the reposted clips just made the threads ponderously long. It will make it hard to reply to a specific post but there must be ways around that. The official playlists really helped and are a great archive.

It's sometimes hard for me, being the opinionated fellow that I am, to wait the respectful amount of time before jumping in with my 2 cents worth (over valued most say). But that's what I think forums are about. I have felt most welcome here but terms like "newbie" and "junior member" do tend to grate with me. Believe me I'm no JUNIOR.

Love the thought that obviously goes into this place - and keep up the good work ukuloonie et al.

I'm a relative newbie to the seasons, so I hope you don't mind my two cents. I like all of the suggestions put forth, including The suggestion to not start the season until Sunday. The overlappings seasons make it hard to focus.

Since I wasn't around in h beginning, I have no idea why each contest is called a season and not a week. That always seemed weird to me. What will the second week of next year be called? The second season of the second season? Seems confusing to me.

I'm sure this wouldn't fly, but I'd love to see the bonus tracks saved for the latter half of the week. I know most of the time multiple versions of the same song is ok, but it still takes some of the fun out of it if the song you spent all week rehearsing gets pre-empted by someone with a half-dozen bonus tracks. I wouldn't want to keep people from doing bonus tracks, but leaving them until a little later might give more people a chance to shine with their official entries before the avalanche of videos.

- FiL

Since I wasn't around in h beginning, I have no idea why each contest is called a season and not a week. That always seemed weird to me. What will the second week of next year be called? The second season of the second season? Seems confusing to me.

The Seasons moniker stems from the original six weeks, which were a rolling contest, each week with a new theme, and the thing was then called, Six Seasons of the Ukulele. This was all masterminded by our own Chrimess, as you may have picked up along the way, without, I think realizing that he was actually starting a juggernaut. Back in those days, he picked each week's theme, posted on Saturday, to be completed by the next Sunday, Midnight, Hawaiian. A running tally was kept week to week, and the participants in the contest were competing for a grand prize after the six weeks, with a simple points-winner announced each week. Those weekly winners were announced by Christian in a video, often recorded in his car, with a brief critique for each video posted. There were also two other judges, who sadly we don't see much in these parts anymore: Mim and Wolfybau.

So, a lot of what happens in the Seasons is vestigial from those old days, when a few of us picked up the pieces and decided to soldier on: The name, the timing, the judging videos. I for one would be sad to see those go. I love checking the boards on Saturday, and looking forward to the new season while the old one is closing out. I love the judging videos. And, well, these are the Seasons of the Ukulele. Anything else just wouldn't have the same ring.

That said, the thing has obviously grown way beyond its humble roots. Maybe year two deserves some changes...

Bravo, Drew, our great Volunteer Facilitator, for a great discussion.

I think it would be good to implement one particular change at the new year:
Why don't we rename it Seasons 2012 (using weeks 1-45), then start Seasons 2013 (weeks 1-52), with the first full week of January?

TIMING
I would really prefer starting the new week on Sunday to limit overlap! Let Saturday be the old week all day. I love the idea of winners being announced by the Saturday after the week's challenge ends.

HOSTS
The host's fun is in choosing the theme, and the host's obligation is to acknowledge and comment on all entries. This may be hard for people with heavy work schedules. A very busy host could make the playlist more manageable by limiting bonus songs.
(If bonuses were limited to 2---or 3 or whatever---per person, participants could post more songs, but should delete some to keep the number to the limit.)

Since we now have a lot of people who want to host, I like Mattydee's idea of limiting a host to two weeks during sign-up season for the calendar year, and then let things happen if someone drops out or a hole stubbornly remains empty.

PRIZES
I don't think physical prizes are necessary, but I still like the idea of winners being chosen through various means. It's amusing and engenders conversation among us.

NEWBIES
I know that first-time posters get noticed by many, but it's still nerve wracking for several posts, and any encouragement is deeply appreciated. I think someone should be considered a Seasonista New Poster for the first 5 posts over 5 weeks (sort of like becoming a senior UU member after 100 posts).

I think these guidelines are excellent. Some observations, though

Timing
I agree with the suggestion of not posting the new challenge till Sunday but with some flexibility allowing for hosts living in different time zones.

Bonus tracks
It's up to hosts how they allow bonuses but a general suggestion that no bonuses be posted before Wednesday so as to reduce the number risk of someone's chosen entry being preempted by a bonus track is a good idea - it won't eliminate it but it might just help.

I have no problems with linking to earlier entries or posts in the videos thread as bonuses if they fit the current season, but again not until Wednesday.

In both the above cases, it's ultimately up to the week's host what they will allow but a suggestion that they give consideration to no bonuses before Wednesday does no harm IMHO.

Contest or open mic?
I think keeping it formally as a contest is OK but stick to token prizes and keep it low key. The "open mic" flavour is part of what makes the seasons what they are. We are more a community than competitors. Certificates might be a way forward to maintaining the contest element but keeping it low key. Maybe certificates of merit for excellent entries rather than first second and third. I gave serious consideration to just awarding certificates to the winners in season 40 and Tina actually awarded every entry a certificate in her season.

Hosting
Twice in a year with extra to fill gaps seems reasonable. Of course, if you just want to host once during a year, that's fine also.

I agree entries should be new recordings made for the season. Otherwise hosts sets the rules for the season.

Feedback
I agree that if you enter, you should try to comment on at least some of the videos. Many are leaving their comments directly on the video which is fine. If you see videos that have not had comments made (apart from the host, that is) then leave a comment. There are some who enter regularly and get very little comment. Some encouragement will be much valued by those people.

I think the idea of Contest should be replaced by Challenge

A contest somehow suggests that we are putting our toes to the line and setting
off on a race where the biggest and best have more of a chance at winning.
A Challenge however is more about individual endeavor, and about doing the best you can.

You might think this is all semantics and one word is as good as the other, but contest
seems to be a more aggressive word and always conjures up the idea of winners and losers

I would like to think that a challenge is a more personal thing where the individual is not pitting
themselves against others, but is aspiring to just do the best that they can.

Some folks might not be up for a contest, but may feel more at ease with a challenge.

I refer to the Seasons as a Challenge when I mention it to folks.
There's a Songwriting group here in the Atlanta area which uses a similar sort of challenge to help folks narrow their focus and to write at least one song each week.

A Challenge however is more about individual endeavor, and about doing the best you can.

You might think this is all semantics and one word is as good as the other, but contest
seems to be a more aggressive word and always conjures up the idea of winners and losers

I would like to think that a challenge is a more personal thing where the individual is not pitting

Some folks might not be up for a contest, but may feel more at ease with a challenge.

Exactly this. :agree:

I agree with Rob's comments as well. The fact is, in all but name it has really ceased to be a 'contest' anyway; I think we all realise we are neither winners nor losers here but communal participants all sharing a drink from the same stream. Good call brother. Further, were it to become more widely known, officially, as a 'challenge' then that might help mitigate the unneeded pressure on hosts to find prizes for each week.

Couldn't the "prize" be that the latest winner is the next Season host and thus, a priori, the next Season cannot begin until the last Season is concluded.

This would address the prize issue and the timing issue.

Couldn't the "prize" be that the latest winner is the next Season host and thus, a priori, the next Season cannot begin until the last Season is concluded.

This would address the prize issue and the timing issue.

I don't think that would work. Not all winners will have the time to be a host.

- FiL

Couldn't the "prize" be that the latest winner is the next Season host and thus, a priori, the next Season cannot begin until the last Season is concluded. This would address the prize issue and the timing issue.

I agree with FiL. People choose weeks way ahead because they know it's a convenient time for them (between projects or semesters, etc.). It's surprisingly time consuming to host.

But Steve, it's nice to see you interested in the Seasons. When will we see your first post on one of your fabulous ukes?

Top Bottom