Classic British ukulele

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Just as there was a boom in the US in the 30's, we had one over here with our own brands - the below image being that of the London company - John Grey. This is a repair I have just completed on an 'original owner' ukulele bought in the 1930's. Bridge has been on and off several times and there were separation repairs. This thing hoiwever honks like a goose! Christmas present to the 82 year old who got it as a boy for his Christmas back in the 30's. It was a great pleasure to do the work. I have made a drawing and will do a reproduction run next year.

IMG_0356.jpg

....Christmas present to the 82 year old who got it as a boy for his Christmas back in the 30's.

Oh, that just makes me want to bawl my eyes out! (Need a tearful smiley here)

If it's a Christmas present, it's just as well you say it "honks like a goose" (Traditional Christmas) rather than squeals like a Turkey (Modern Xmas) :rolleyes:

Pete, that is a great story. It is nice to see someone who has real passion for their craft. I'd like to be there on Xmas morning to see the smile...

Way back in 1949..My first Banjo uke was a John Grey....It was a music shop in London they sold all kinds of musical instruments including Drums and Bagpipes..and it turns out that "John Grey and sons" never existed :confused:it was just a trade name...More about it here http://www.banjolin.co.uk/banjolin/greyhistory.htm

Way back in 1949..My first Banjo uke was a John Grey....It was a music shop in London they sold all kinds of musical instruments including Drums and Bagpipes..and it turns out that "John Grey and sons" never existed :confused:it was just a trade name...More about it here http://www.banjolin.co.uk/banjolin/greyhistory.htm

I never realised that Decca started in Sheffield, my home town!
H

Like you Timbuck I'm no longer there!
See from a previous post you have an engineering background, Central Technical School by any chance?
H

Like you Timbuck I'm no longer there!
See from a previous post you have an engineering background, Central Technical School by any chance?
H
No! I wasn't good enough to pass the exam..So aged 15..I started off as a machine/fitting shop apprentice at Newton Chambers in Chapletown...Happy Days ;)..come to think of it that was when I started to make my first guitar...I used to make tuning pegs out of hardwood wedges by grinding them into shape on a huge pedestal grinder ..the grinder was supposed to be for sharpening machine tools etc: and the machinists used to "Bollock" me for clogging up the grit with wood. :eek:

No! I wasn't good enough to pass the exam..So aged 15..I started off as a machine/fitting shop apprentice at Newton Chambers in Chapletown...Happy Days ;)..come to think of it that was when I started to make my first guitar...I used to make tuning pegs out of hardwood wedges by grinding them into shape on a huge pedestal grinder ..the grinder was supposed to be for sharpening machine tools etc: and the machinists used to "Bollock" me for clogging up the grit with wood. :eek:

Happy days eh!

H

Top Bottom