Philippine Uke!

edmarz

Reaction score
i have been looking for a tenor uke here in manila but to no avail. most of shops i'd been don't even know what kind of uke they are selling. anyways, i found one uke surely is not a soprano, with 19 frets and steel strings (like ones on a guitar). being a beginner, i bought it anyway, thinking that i could have a good start on it.

wow! i presumed that you are "kabayan". i hope i could travel again somewhere in bicol area, so that i could shop for uke. i am not satisfied with the one i bought in manila, but like i'd said it's enough for a beginner. but surely i will buy a very good one. nice hearing from you "kabayan"(?)

Last edited:
Hey, I'm Adrian. Im filipino too. I just started playing ukulele about a week ago! I got my uke in hawaii $23 Leolani...I know its weak but i still suck so... its good enough for now! :p and its "Kaba-bayan" or something. haha xD

'pre, unless you have someone actually custom build you an ukulele to your specs, its going to be hard to find one of decent quality there in 'pinas. but what you can do is get yourself a set of classical guitar strings and use them on your ukulele (the one with the steel strings). it will end up being tuned as a "low G", but theres nothing wrong with that.

other than that, you could always try... what was that place called again?.... its either divisoria or recto. im thinking divisoria though.

obtw... sa'an ka sa kabite? im from kawit. but lived mostly in dasmarinas while i was going to La Salle-EAC. one of the infamous "amboys".

Maybuhay and welcome to the forum! My girl's family is from Cavite.

i'm originally from pangasinan, but now living in imus, cavite. yeah you're right a customized uke would be a great a idea, but, finding one here in manila or nearby areas is somewhat difficult. hence, i am planning to modify a small guitar, do you think that would be possible, guys? love to hear from you guys!

Try the Raon district, Ed. I just came back from a vacation in the Philippines. Every place I played my uke, the locals would say "pogi ng small geetar!". Ric
ricdoug! i visited every store in raon, but found no tenor uke. but thanks anyway, for now, i am doing fine with my new uke, eventually, if i did good i would surely buy a good one.

Hey, I'm Adrian. Im filipino too. I just started playing ukulele about a week ago! I got my uke in hawaii $23 Leolani...I know its weak but i still suck so... its good enough for now! :p and its "Kaba-bayan" or something. haha xD
kabayan! i am a beginner too, kaya, tiis muna tayo medyo hindi maganda. update your progress here. ako, i think i am good always consulting the www and hopefull learn a lot from this forum. just dowloaded some tablatures, lilke: here comes the sun with video courtesy of youtube, etc. try clicking this page: http://www.ukulele.de.vu/.

I tried a couple of sopranos in the Raon district (for those unfamiliar with the Philippines, the Raon districtis rich with hand-crafted guitars and percussion!), Ed. I did not see any tenors either, let alone not that many ukes. Several shops asked if they could photograph, measure and play my Ovation Applause UAE20, to which I granted all of them permission. We own a home in the Sun Valley subdivision of Antipolo City. My wife's family lives within walking distance of the large Cherry Food Market, in Antipolo City. I know the Philippines has some of the finest exotic woods and great luthiers.

http://ukuleletonya.com/files/beginner_lesson_pkg.pdf

Hey, Ed, I also know this Pinoy dude that knows a wee little bit (That's a lie! He's a freakin' ukulele virtuoso!) about the ukulele. He has some online lessons:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7224

I've met Aldrine and Rayan and they ain't frontin' ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fronting ). They love music and are givin' back BIG TIME! I love 'em like brothers. Salt of the earth. Ric

Hi,

why don't you get in touch with the folks at Mele ukulele? They have some of their ukes made in the Philipines and they are very nice!

hey ric, thanks for the pdf file, am sure this will help a lot in my quest to be uke 'virtouso' (in my wildest dream!). am happy to hear that you met aldrine, i love aldrine, i've watched a lot of his video online and rayan's too. right now, am doing fine with my uke with your help and encouragement and of course UU, i will get one those tenor uke when i get better. thanks guys!

Hello everyone! i just learned how to play the ukulele 3 days ago. and what better way to start my first post than here. (philippine uke).

@ed
i have the same problem before. it wasn't easy looking for a uke here in the phil. my uncle has 2 uke's. a soprano (cebu) and a concert (US). unfortunately it was a little small for me. so i went around the metro in search of a tenor. i bought my tenor in Sta. mesa. near SM. there's an array of music stores just along the main road. i got mine at basillo's for 1,000Php.

mga tols... nuke is right.. if you dont get it to your specs it will sound blah.. haha.. i had my brother (thenewguy) buy me one from there and it didnt sound right.. and on top of that.. the bridge broke while i tried to tune it.. haha.. they used machine screws on it.. oh well.. im sure you can find something there.. my brother and i plan on getting some custom made ukes made from a jack-fruit tree. they sound good as geetz so lets see how it sounds on ukes! mabuhay ang pinoy ukers!:worship:

I see you're a James Hill fan (so am I!). I've seen him play live. Phenominal! James has some great ukulele lessons at:

http://www.ukuleleintheclassroom.com
yup, i'm a fan of james hill and of course jake, (pinoy players too like aldrine) they were my inspirations to learn to play uke. i enjoy watching james and jake, am sure it is more enjoyable watching james hill live!

Hello everyone! i just learned how to play the ukulele 3 days ago. and what better way to start my first post than here. (philippine uke).

@ed
i have the same problem before. it wasn't easy looking for a uke here in the phil. my uncle has 2 uke's. a soprano (cebu) and a concert (US). unfortunately it was a little small for me. so i went around the metro in search of a tenor. i bought my tenor in Sta. mesa. near SM. there's an array of music stores just along the main road. i got mine at basillo's for 1,000Php.
hey, chefbry! thanks for the tip. i will surely visit those area soon.

Top Bottom