Listening recommendations for blues

jodanchudan

Reaction score
I'm new to the uke and would like to check out any blues uke tracks you can recommend (it's a good starting point for me because, playing the blues harp and a bit of guitar, it's what I'm most familiar with). Any tracks / videos/ albums you can suggest?

Check out Jason Arimoto on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK31RyUICX0 The guys rocks the blues!
I'm new to the uke and would like to check out any blues uke tracks you can recommend (it's a good starting point for me because, playing the blues harp and a bit of guitar, it's what I'm most familiar with). Any tracks / videos/ albums you can suggest?

Here's a 12 bar blues shuffle I charted out and teach from in the key of A:

TwelveBarBlues.jpg

If you originally play guitar; listen to vintage recordings of great artists like Blind Blake, Lonnie Johnson, Rev.Gary Davis, Son House, Bukka White, Etta Baker, Elisabeth Cotten.....and to people like Leo Kottke, John Fahey, David Lindley et al - in ADDITION to whichever ukulele tutorial or ukulele video you watch. That's the starting point. For me, anyway. You don't need to copy them, just try to get some of their feel projected onto your ukulele playing.

For some real good bluesy ukulele, check out Yan Yalego and Max (de Bernardi) & Veronica (Sbergia)!
My compatriot DaddyStovePipe (on youtube) has posted some good lesson vids on picking the blues on the uke too. Look 'em up!

And for some vintage Piedmont style blues played on the tenor uke, listen to Lewis Anderson aka "Rabbit Muse"

Don't forget BaronK69 and thedirtyjohnson (both on youtube - I think baron has an account here too but we don't here from him often).

Also, there's a fella on YouTube goes by DaddyStovePipe - great trad blues player. Most of his vids are mandolin or guitar but he does have a few ukulele videos.

Our own Eugene Ukulele does mostly old timey stuff but he has done some trad blues, too.

John

Top Bottom