Em Chord Question

samusb55555

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So does anyone ever leave out the G note that is played on the E String (not using your middle finger on the E-String) when they play an E minor? Just wanted to know what other people do.

Cheery-O

Sam

There's no reason you couldn't leave it out, but I very rarely if ever do. I find that it is actually a little harder to finger that way at least on a soprano where I don't have room for two fingers on the C and G strings but have to barre them with my third finger. It's a little harder because then that short barre has to be perfect without brushing the open E string - whereas if the E string is fretted at the third fret the barre can be a little more sloppy because the fretted string is a little lower (i.e. you don't have to get quite so much arch on the barre finger). On a wider neck it's no big deal, but on soprano it's pretty tight for me.

When I'm playing in G though I've found that the way I like to play an Em that follows or leads a G is by holding the G and then curling the little finger over to fret the C string at the 4th fret ( 0 4 3 2).

John

Depends - there is a really nice arrangement of Blue Skies that can be found on Ukulele Hunt website that relies on that string not being "fingered" as it is doing a run down on that string.

It can sound very "G"ie at other times.

I leave it open. It sounds fine. My pinkies are tiny, so it's real hard to hold down.

Hmm..., I've always played it with just the bottom three strings (G string at the fourth fret is open) and the B7 is the same fingering just one string up. Those two chords seem to follow each other around quite a bit...at least with the stuff I practice. Funny how simple notions help you remember fingerings.

Top Bottom