Need help with buying a new uke! Please!

Peetypete

Reaction score
So I am looking to buy a third uke for my collection, right now I have a mahogany concert mainland and Mitchell concert. I am looking to buy a tenor because I don't really want another concert and i figured its time to switch things up. I have been playing for over a year and a half now but unfortunately being the poor college student that i am i cant really afford to pay over $200, if its a good deal i can go to $250 but thats it. Please throw out suggestions!!!! I need help!!

hey .... why not a second mainland?
a nice mahogany concert maybe?

Check intonation, "MAYBE" lower nut/slot, saddle, "IF" action too high, maybe sand fret ends if too sharp, otherwise, it's a new uke and has a warranty.

Check intonation, "MAYBE" lower nut/slot, saddle, "IF" action too high, maybe sand fret ends if too sharp, otherwise, it's a new uke and has a warranty.

Ok that doesn't sound too bad, I'm looking at a luna high tide as well as this kala... could you tell me what you think would be the better option. I really dont know too much about this kala and i cant find it anywhere else other then the ebay link you provided so its hard for me to decide which is the better buy.

So I am looking to buy a third uke for my collection, right now I have a mahogany concert mainland and Mitchell concert. I am looking to buy a tenor because I don't really want another concert and i figured its time to switch things up. I have been playing for over a year and a half now but unfortunately being the poor college student that i am i cant really afford to pay over $200, if its a good deal i can go to $250 but thats it. Please throw out suggestions!!!! I need help!!

How about a Koa Pili Koko tenor. It is solid acacia and will have a great set up. It will come in under your budget. http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=document_product_info&cPath=1&products_id=32

Last edited:
If you can do some minor setup work if needed, seen some brand new Kala solid mahogany tenors with cutaway and eq for $199.99 with free shipping. on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251172553974?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

There's a reason why Kala is ending that model. They simply don't sound good. Super dead. The laminate KA series sounds tons better. Don't get me wrong, the regular smh series is among the best in value. But these are not the same and this tenor is more like a concert body and built like a tank. Just so you know, I say so as a friend to those that see these online. They need more than setup. Wanna experiment with scalloping braces? It was a different factory they stopped using. With Kala..the regular SMH or new SML, the S or FM series, even the gloss laminate mahogany TG sounds way huger than this run of solids. This is a case where specs don't mean a thing. Solid is just a word. Better off looking for used stuff here at the marketplace.

There's a reason why Kala is ending that model. They simply don't sound good. Super dead. The laminate KA series sounds tons better. Don't get me wrong, the regular smh series is among the best in value. But these are not the same and this tenor is more like a concert body and built like a tank. Just so you know, I say so as a friend to those that see these online. They need more than setup. Wanna experiment with scalloping braces? It was a different factory they stopped using. With Kala..the regular SMH or new SML, the S or FM series, even the gloss laminate mahogany TG sounds way huger than this run of solids. This is a case where specs don't mean a thing. Solid is just a word. Better off looking for used stuff here at the marketplace.

Do you have a suggestion as to what is a good tenor for under 250 and has a pickup????

Cordoba makes a nice solid top tenor with a pick up, the 20TM-CE and it is on sale right now at HMS for $160. There is also a Luna and a Kala Golden Acacia on sale as well for about $100 more. All three under $250 (just barely though!).

Top Bottom