What form are your songs in?

Normagal

Reaction score
Paper-or on a tablet or laptop?
I started out printing every song I liked and putting them in a notebook. Now I've started saving them on my IPad and looking at them there. Maybe someday I'll take the time to put them all on my IPad.

I see another thread about buying song books. I don't know if I will do that-there is so much to find on the Internet.

although tablet is pretty cool, the advantage of paper is you can easily write down performance notes and other notations. I'm sure tablets will also get there pretty soon, if not already.

I use a Kindle DX reader. It's easy on the eyes, the large(9.7") screen size is great for sheet music, and a battery charge lasts for a month. I download all my (edited and cleaned up) internet finds to it and it supplements the daily uke book very well. Got it used on ebay to read technical documents but it works sublime for uke practice. :)

Yea, I got envious of some of my SUPA friends who are using their iPads instead of a couple of 3" 3-ring binders like the rest of us rational people.

So I got a Nook Color which was rooted and modded with CyanogenMod 7, but it only has a 7 inch screen. So I finally got a new Nook HD+ with a 9 inch screen, but now I need to get it rooted and modded to Android Jelly Bean+.

It's not that I'm against Apple's iPad, it's just that I really like Android and Google Play (formerly Market). :)

keep uke'in',

Just started using OnSong on the iPad, and it's a revelation. syncs with Dropbox so you can edit on your computer or the iPad, chords shapes displayed, auto scrolling etc. Only £2.99 in the UK, and it's fantastic.

...and you don't have to do any complicated stuff like rooting or jail breaking. :)

Tried using a Kindle, but page turning is an issue, and it's just too small anyway.

Just started using OnSong on the iPad, and it's a revelation. syncs with Dropbox so you can edit on your computer or the iPad, chords shapes displayed, auto scrolling etc. Only £2.99 in the UK, and it's fantastic.

...and you don't have to do any complicated stuff like rooting or jail breaking. :)

Tried using a Kindle, but page turning is an issue, and it's just too small anyway.

+1 for OnSong..very cool app

Yea, I got envious of some of my SUPA friends who are using their iPads instead of a couple of 3" 3-ring binders like the rest of us rational people.

So I got a Nook Color which was rooted and modded with CyanogenMod 7, but it only has a 7 inch screen. So I finally got a new Nook HD+ with a 9 inch screen, but now I need to get it rooted and modded to Android Jelly Bean+.

It's not that I'm against Apple's iPad, it's just that I really like Android and Google Play (formerly Market). :)

keep uke'in',
Is this a dialect of English?

I haven't been able to copy any new sheet music since I ran out of ink for my quill pen.

I use OnSong on the iPad for most of my uke/folk stuff - or at least I'm moving that direction, probably only a third of my lead sheets are in there so far.

For my bass gig I create multi-page PDF documents formatted to fit the iPad screen and use the NextPage app and an airturn bluetooth foot pedal to change pages. This lets me add color highlighting and notes for all the performance notes, timing, etc. that I need when playing bass with the band.

John

I keep two notebooks. One for songs that I want to be able to practice, another for lyrics I'm working on for my original songs.

SongBook ChordPro app for iPad with the songs in text files using the ChordPro format.

I find it very easy for transposing when playing with other instruments and easy for cranking up the font size when a bunch of older eyes are crowding around it.

Does OnSong only work with an Apple tablet? If you want to put some of the pages of your Daily Uke on the tablet, do you scan them at low resolution, take snapshots and then save in a PDF or text format? Right now I just build arm muscles carrying all those notebooks and books around.

I have a few books, mostly classical and there aren't that many of them. I'm always scouring for classical tabs online and download any I find. My first pass is usually playing in front of the monitor to see if I like something enough to print it out or just save it for another time.

I do prefer playing from hard copies and have my own little corner in the living room with my bench, music stand, uke/guitar stands and a couple knitting stands that act as vertical files for my uke books and folders within an arm's reach.

My printouts are organized into various folders, like low g, high g, Christmas, stuff I'm working on, stuff I'd like to work on, ebooks I've bought, etc.

For Android tablets, GuitarTapp is the best thing out there.

Yes, OnSong is on iPad, but uses standard text files that are readable elsewhere, so if you sync it with Dropbox, you can read them on your Mac, or even a PC.

I'll give OnSong a look, but it's tough since we're using two apps to record, garageband and ampkit+. We email the backing track to ourselves from garageband, then open that in ampkit. Record, export that session into garageband as a new track. To read the music, we'd need to use another ipad..which we have, but I'd need another mic stand with the ipad head for it..

Ampkit gives 5 seconds (might give more) and we give ourselves four more counts (time sig depending), maybe that's enough time to switch apps. Ampkit does do background playing.

Nah, just use paper and pencil. I was raised that you always have a pencil on the stand and you always use it. Old skool. :)

I use OnSong on my iPad. All my music is in pdf form.
I also use iBooks for songbooks I have scanned.

Well, after many years of lugging numerous binders around filled with sheet music, plus hundreds of songs on my computer, I finally got an ipad with the OnSong app, and I love it. Now, I am in the process of organizing the songs into books and sets on the ipad.... It is taking me awhile, but when I'm finished I think I will finally be able to find everything. Last trip I took, I just took the ipad and ukulele and left all the binders at home...Felt great to travel so light!

keep uke'in',

Sounds like a good deal. Rooting and modding isn't such a big deal; I've done many an Android phone (currently Galaxy Nexus running Axiom Patient Zero Rom). I was thinking of doing the same thing with a Nexus 10.

BTW, THANKS for Bootcamp!

K

keep uke'in',

Sounds like a good deal. Rooting and modding isn't such a big deal; I've done many an Android phone (currently Galaxy Nexus running Axiom Patient Zero Rom). I was thinking of doing the same thing with a Nexus 10.

BTW, THANKS for Bootcamp!

K

Hey Karasu,

I was also considering the Nexus 10 but decided on the less expensive Nook HD+ since it also had an SD slot. I'm hoping the XDA Developers and the CyanogenMod-ders will get Jelly Bean or better up and running for it shortly. I'd like a Dual-Boot SD card so I won't have to do anything to the Nook HD+.

Other than that, the Nexus 10 would have been my next choice esp with Jelly Bean 4.2 already running on it. However, the extra $130 made the difference. I may pick up an 'older' Nexus 7 just to be able to play with any OS upgrades in the future :)

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom