Please help me build a Compass Rose

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
So I emailed Rick Turner today and got on his Compass Rose build waiting list. I'll be driving down to his studio in early December to work out some of the details of my build. I had been thinking about black acacia or walnut or maple or some of that redwood sinker he found recently. I want an ukulele that sounds different from my Kamaka tenor (koa) and my Mya-Moe tenor (myrtle), maybe even sounding a little more like a guitar (collective gasp). I'm sure that when I tell Rick this, he may have some ideas about what wood or woods to use, and, well, he's Rick Turner. But I'd also love to hear suggestions from my fellow UUers about anything and everything, from wood selection to bindings, purfling, rosettes and bling, and from those with Compass Rose ukes what they like the most, and the least, about their CRs. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, observations, comments, etc.

More guitar like? Well low bass to start with. Consider a baritione ukulele. Or, ask him to built a tenor that's happy tuned E, A, C#, F#. Think of transposed chords where you transpose Down from standard tuning(GCEA) or UP from baritone(DGBE) tuning.

Anthony

Just tell him what you have and that you want something different and let him take it from there. I'm sure that he will have something amazing for you.

Just tell him what you have and that you want something different and let him take it from there. I'm sure that he will have something amazing for you.

I agree with Henry. Let Rick do the design.

I have an all Claro Walnut CR and love the sound. Walnut is an excellent tonewood falling sonically between the warm dark sounds of East Indian Rosewood and the bright bell-like ring of Maple. Not only is it different but I think it's gorgeous.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with a Compass Rose... Like some of the others have said, just tell Rick what sound you are looking for and let him make suggestions. He will make something for you so much better then you imagined! I believe he is really a master builder.... I do think a spruce top and hardwood back and sides is a wonderful combination to give you a full, rich range of tones...

If you're going for guitar-ish sound, a good choice would be rosewood back and sides with a softwood top. From there I'd probably go with ebony binding and rope purfling, both on the body and headstock like their style C.

My next Uke will be bog wood (if I don't change my mind between now and then...which I probably will). I just love the idea of owning a Uke made out of 30,000+ year old wood.

I think you can tell Rick what you like in terms of looks and asthetics, but tell him what sound you want, and let him work his magic. Let him pick the wood and all that. It's the best way to let artists work for you. Like getting a tattoo, tell the artist what you like and what you don't, but let them draw you something awesome. :)

edit - agreeing with most everyone else

Last edited:
I'm nudging this toward one of our new micro-jumbo 14 fret models in spruce over Amazon rosewood...the closest legal wood to Brazilian rosewood that I've seen. We just recently got about ten sets for backs and sides, and the stuff is beautiful.

I'm nudging this toward one of our new micro-jumbo 14 fret models in spruce over Amazon rosewood...the closest legal wood to Brazilian rosewood that I've seen. We just recently got about ten sets for backs and sides, and the stuff is beautiful.

Thanks, Rick! I was hoping you'd weigh in. I can't wait to see what you've got in the shop. Please save some of that Amazon rosewood!

Last edited:
Aloha Mark,
What another ukulele....wow wow, Congrats I hope I can get one from Rick too....I want a tenor if you are reading this...Hee Hee

Shoot. That sounds like the option I'd consider. Match it up with a softer top like sinker redwood. Although spruce would really shine.

Last edited:
I've got a CR from Rick with a Cedar Top and Rosewood sides with Peg Heads... The most guitar sounding uke I have.
I go back and forth from the CR and a KoAloha Tenor because they sound so wonderfully different. Good luck.

Hey Mark..you know this is my favorite subject Lol>>Rick Turner and his CR's

first get a C body..tenor
these come with binding on the top and back and the headstock...purfling on the top and headstock..nicer Gotoh tuners(i got Pegheds on my Koa CR) and Rick's unreal beautiful Gloss polyester Finish..Rick tries to explain how nice it is but you got to see it! super smooth and it really shines .. i got tourtise binding and rope purfling on it>> I got lucky the Koa got to be 4A

my next CR C style body(ready sometime next year)
macassar ebony back/sides with a sinker redwood top..i live in Calif but i am letting Rick make all the choices on the wood selection and binding/purfling(but going to be wood this time) and i am going with his antique Gotoh open geared tuners this time..for me this is more fun to let Rick do what he does best..

i am a big fan of the 12 fret to body with Rick's CR's..seems like lowering the bridge into the sweet spot of the uke body..gives it a more mellow deep sound..i like it like that..

after getting my Koa CR and meeting Rick i trust him all the way on my new CR
i hope you get one as nice as mine..

Last edited:
Top Bottom