I just want to retire and play my ukulele!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Days like today make me want to call it quits and have some fun. I notice lots of forum members are retired and love playing their ukuleles. Is retirement all it's cracked up to be?

As long as one doesn't die, then yes.

After 5 years of retirement I can say...There is no down side to retirement!

The best part is freedom of time. When asked about retirement I use this analogy. Remember when you were a kid and off from school for summer vacation and it seemed like a long time? Well, that is what retirement feels like, but with no return to school facing you again in the fall. ;)

Last edited:
5 more years of toil and then a golden ukulele retirement for me! :cool:

Days like today make me want to call it quits and have some fun. I notice lots of forum members are retired and love playing their ukuleles. Is retirement all it's cracked up to be?

Tailgate, you definitely need to have a plan when retiring. This includes making sure you are financially secure and have positive social connections that you maintain on a weekly basis and interests that are intellectually stimulating and physically supportive. From the tone of your post it appears you have come to the same realization that I did some years back - stay in this job much longer and it will drive me nuts or kill me !

As long as one doesn't die, then yes.

One will assuredly die. It just depends how much style you want to have in your life before that inevitable event. On the other hand if an individual is so enamoured of a job by all means stay in it, deprive a young person of a job position, and die at the jobsite. From the sound of things that will be the wave of the future.

On the other hand if an individual is so enamoured of a job by all means stay in it...

Sadly, a lot of people HAVE to stay in their jobs since their retirement funds have been lost and SS isn't looking too promising either. A lot of my friends who should be thinking about retiring in a few years now aren't able to do so.

I retired at sixty but had been unemployed for over a year
before that.It's what you make of it,as has been said already.
Providing you have a routine that keeps you chooglin' along
nicely,it's great! And with careful planning,all the uke time
you could want or need...

Let you know how it is when it happens . . .

YES! :cool:

Retirement is GREAT! Good luck to all who are looking forward to retirement, the journey is certainly worth it. I'm lucky that my wife retired with me, and we are great friends!

Now all I need to do is get that "ukulele playing" part down and it would be perfect! LOL

My goal in life is to retire and do nothing but music. Sadly that is a long way away.

Make shua Your golden years are filled with ukuleles and music.....some work so hard to attain their golden years...and over work themselves to death and they cannot enjoy it due to excessive work and heatlh....take things in stride, if you want to go for the duration and enjoyment in the latter years think moderation...hopefully you don't knock over too early.....

Last edited:
i want to retire and live alone in a cabin in the woods and play my ukuleles.

My wife and kids can visit me monthly, if they call first.

Hey! who told you about my life? Yep, those boundaries are very important... :p

Sadly, a lot of people HAVE to stay in their jobs since their retirement funds have been lost and SS isn't looking too promising either. A lot of my friends who should be thinking about retiring in a few years now aren't able to do so.

That is sad and very true. And what is it going to be like when the retirement age goes to 70 ?

I will let you know..i retire at the end of the year and i am moving back home to Oahu..i have been living in calif for over 30 years..

i got most of my ukes now but waiting on about 4 really special ones..i plan to play like crazy..i hope it helps.. Lol
i have 2 ukes for delivery in 2013 and 1 for 2014..if you add it up it only comes out to 3..ha ha

My goal in life is to retire and do nothing but music. Sadly that is a long way away.

I can say this from experience. You will be very surprised one day that you are at that point in life, and wonder how you happened to get there so quickly! :eek:

Hobbies are the key. I retired just prior to my 60th birthday (a little over 5 years ago) and now have time to do all the things I never could find enough time for while working. Music occupies a good share of my time, and golf and bicycle with my wife during the season. I also have written a couple of historical books about my hometown (still live there). Those I did non-profit, as I didn't want to see the years of my generation lost, as there had been nothing written covering those years. Donated a bunch of copies to the local Historical Society, along with the rights to the books and any reprints. I also do woodworking and home improvements, and get together with old friends very often. Never bored. (not enough time!)

Caddy: that's pretty cool about the hometown book. An old professor of mine (he's retired now) is thinking of doing the same for Salem. It's a great idea.

As for retirement, maybe my tune will change, but if I've learned anything it's that an idle Connor is a menace to himself and others. I think I'll teach until the end.

Top Bottom