PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Collings Tenor

Dan Uke
11-29-2012, 10:46 AM
It seems like there's a few people enamored w/ their Collings so I want to try one too. I have tried a few at the guitar store but want to try one at home and compare it with my other tenors. If you have one and want to sell it, shoot me a pm. I am only looking for the mahogany and not the koa.

I might have a Donaldson for trade but not certain...trying to convince my wife to allow me to just own 3 tenors!! :p

Thanks

Daniel

strumsilly
11-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I think coolkayaker has one for sale on ebay, unless there are 2 kayakers that are cool? you might pm him about it. you can search for it on the bay.

coolkayaker1
11-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks, strumsiily. Daniel and I have discussed it...mine is so sweet, I don't want to sell it. I list on eBay all my ukes, even when i adore them with every fiber of my soul, just to keep the Mrs. from having me sleep with the dogs.

dkcrown
11-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Sorry Daniel. Just sold mine to Markr1 this week.

Dan Uke
11-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Haha, you and Mark have this connection going! No problem

soupking
11-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Dude, awesome choice: Collings ukes are the bees' knees. No bull. While I've never strummed a tenor, I've played a UC-2K and own a UC-1. They're perfect ukes: light as a feather, resonant with a capital R, and perfectly crafted. I hope you find one. You gotta play one to know, bro.

Markr1
11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Dana takes care of me when it comes to great ukes. I just opened mine this evening and it's everything I expected from a Collings. That makes 2 and I love them both. Both UT-1s one with a haircut and the other without. It doesn't get any better then that.
Haha, you and Mark have this connection going! No problem

Dan Uke
11-29-2012, 02:39 PM
That's what they say...I wanna try some of that Collings Kool-aid!

Markr1
11-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Collings white lightning is more like it.
That's what they say...I wanna try some of that Collings Kool-aid!

soupking
11-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Collings white lightning is more like it.

UBBI... U Better Believe It!

Dan Uke
11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Dude, awesome choice: Collings ukes are the bees' knees. No bull. While I've never strummed a tenor, I've played a UC-2K and own a UC-1. They're perfect ukes: light as a feather, resonant with a capital R, and perfectly crafted. I hope you find one. You gotta play one to know, bro.

Matt, you know my prefs but Collings is an exception as it only has 13 frets to the body!!

soupking
11-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Yes indeed. I figure you're just gonna have to suck it up and deal with it, Daniel. Lol. Maybe be like the rest of us and play a little closer to the headstock. You can do it! Just give the Collings a chance, man!

didgeridoo2
11-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Hey Daniel. Is McCabe's currently out of stock on Collings tenors? The last couple times I've been there, they've had a couple. My last trip was three months ago, I think.

Dan Uke
11-29-2012, 05:21 PM
They have some really nice ones but I don't like to pay retail as I tend to change ukes way too frequently. Lose way too much money so need to buy used in case I change again! To quote Prince, "Maybe I'm just like my mother, she's never satisfied"

didgeridoo2
11-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Return policy? ;)

wendellfiddler
11-30-2012, 08:24 AM
I own 2 Collings ukes. Have owned several others, sold them all. They totally spoil you. They play like a little jazz guitar.

doug

Hippie Dribble
11-30-2012, 08:32 AM
not sure how much you're loking to spend brother but there's a new UT-1 at Acoustic Music Works...only one left that I can find...
http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/ukuleles.html

coolkayaker1
11-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Both UT-1s one with a haircut and the other without. It doesn't get any better then that.

My Collings UT-1 does not have the haircut. I might take a shot of whiskey and get out the Spyderco Paramilitary folder and give it a headstock haircut tonight to improve the sound.

That's a sweet looking find, EU. Daniel, I say go for it. Don't let little home equity loan stand in your way of fondling that haircut uke.

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/U952.html

Dan Uke
11-30-2012, 09:53 AM
My Collings UT-1 does not have the haircut. I might take a shot of whiskey and get out the Spyderco Paramilitary folder and give it a headstock haircut tonight to improve the sound.

That's a sweet looking find, EU. Daniel, I say go for it. Don't let little home equity loan stand in your way of fondling that haircut uke.

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/U952.html

I'm not in a hurry to buy one so I'll wait for a used one that is cheaper. How did you know I had a frozen HELOC with an upside down house? HAHA

Dan Uke
12-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I own 2 Collings ukes. Have owned several others, sold them all. They totally spoil you. They play like a little jazz guitar.

doug

That's the sound I want, a little jazz guitar!

banpreso
12-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Acousticmusicworks was telling me collings has paused their ukulele productions for now as they are behind on guitars. I guess you better grab one while still able!

coolkayaker1
12-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Acousticmusicworks was telling me collings has paused their ukulele productions for now as they are behind on guitars. I guess you better grab one while still able!

Weird. In the Aldrine NAMM video on my current Collings vid thread, they said they were gong to increase the uke production in 2012. Perhaps the profit margin on ukes is less than guitars. Or, as is becoming evident, the third wave of uke popularity is waning.

Telperion
12-02-2012, 03:39 AM
Weird. In the Aldrine NAMM video on my current Collings vid thread, they said they were gong to increase the uke production in 2012. Perhaps the profit margin on ukes is less than guitars. Or, as is becoming evident, the third wave of uke popularity is waning.

There was also a rumor back then that they were considering introducing a soprano to their line. I tend to agree that they must have a significantly better profit margin on guitars, but I was told that their main ukulele luthier was their mandolin guy, and that he was just going back and forth between mandos and ukes. Whatever the case, I ordered a custom early last February and have just been informed that it is looking like January 2013 before it will be complete. I think they just ended up with too big of a backlog and they didn't want to bring in extra staff, which is smart in a funky economy. Smart business, just unfortunate for all of us who hope to get their hands on a Collings uke.

specialk13
12-02-2012, 04:36 AM
A more recent update: Collings should start taking orders again this coming January. My source will remain anonymous so take the info as you will......

Markr1
12-02-2012, 04:43 AM
What happened to the 2 UT-1s that were listed on eBay. I went to completed items and didn't see them there either. I know Steve had his up for sale there along with another one and just saw them yesterday but there gone this morning.

Dan Uke
12-02-2012, 07:28 AM
A more recent update: Collings should start taking orders again this coming January. My source will remain anonymous so take the info as you will......

Considering you buy many high-end ukes, I trust your source. If you want to keep Bill Collings anonymous, it's fine with me. LOL. :p

Hippie Dribble
12-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Or, as is becoming evident, the third wave of uke popularity is waning.

oh yeah, sinkin like a lead ballon innit' :p

cahaya
12-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Eugene is now selling his Collings and it is made of mahogany.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?73605-Collings-UC2-vintage-white-mahogany

mattydee
12-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Eugene is now selling his Collings and it is made of mahogany.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?73605-Collings-UC2-vintage-white-mahogany
that's a concert -- daniel has been pretty clear about wanting a tenor.

cahaya
12-02-2012, 05:04 PM
that's a concert -- daniel has been pretty clear about wanting a tenor.

You are right, it is a concert. My bad.

Dan Uke
12-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Anyone has one? Collings Hog!! I know they're almost caught up in the backlog so can wait next year but would like to give myself a nice Christmas gift

grendel1972
12-13-2012, 04:57 AM
I'm in the early stages of considering selling my Collings Tenor. It's a UT2K (all Koa) and I've had it for about a year now. I've had a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio pickup installed (great pickup) by Bob Stubblebine, a local luthier in Cambridge, who also fashioned a custom bridge to add some compensation for my preferred low G tuning. Bob did a fantastic job (I'm sure other UUers in the area can vouch for him) but if it's not something you want he told me it could be easily reversed. I currently use South Coast linear flat would, and would highly recommend them. Oh, and while I do not have the original case, I do have an Ameritage Gold that would come with the Collings.

This is a great tenor. Amazingly playable, great tone and sustain. The only reason I'm thinking about selling it is that I want to get a baritone uke and I figure that I can probably get a very good tenor and a decent baritone (while I wait for a custom baritone) if I sell my Collings.

As you can probably tell, I'm on the fence about selling it, but if it's something you're interested in, shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Dan Uke
12-13-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm in the early stages of considering selling my Collings Tenor. It's a UT2K (all Koa) and I've had it for about a year now. I've had a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio pickup installed (great pickup) by Bob Stubblebine, a local luthier in Cambridge, who also fashioned a custom bridge to add some compensation for my preferred low G tuning. Bob did a fantastic job (I'm sure other UUers in the area can vouch for him) but if it's not something you want he told me it could be easily reversed. I currently use South Coast linear flat would, and would highly recommend them. Oh, and while I do not have the original case, I do have an Ameritage Gold that would come with the Collings.

This is a great tenor. Amazingly playable, great tone and sustain. The only reason I'm thinking about selling it is that I want to get a baritone uke and I figure that I can probably get a very good tenor and a decent baritone (while I wait for a custom baritone) if I sell my Collings.

As you can probably tell, I'm on the fence about selling it, but if it's something you're interested in, shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Actually looking for a mahogany only. Thanks for the offer...Maybe someone will see this and PM you!

Dan Uke
12-14-2012, 06:20 AM
My friend, Steve was nice enough to sell me a Collings so I am set for now! However, Ginny (GT3T11) is also looking for a mahogany colilngs so if you have one, please PM her!

coolkayaker1
12-14-2012, 07:01 AM
My friend, Steve was nice enough to sell me a Collings so I am set for now! However, Ginny (GT3T11) is also looking for a mahogany colilngs so if you have one, please PM her!/

And my friend, Daniel, was nice enough to buy it from me; thanks Daniel. I'm really looking forward to your honest opinions on it--the good bad and the ugly--once you've played it, Daniel (went out today). Mahalo.

PS Don;t worry, soupking, Mark1, etc....I still have a Collings tenor for myself. Through a series of events, I somehow ended up with two. lol