Advice on Accidental String Muting

Karasu

Acute UAS Patient
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a rank beginner, but in between the fun of learning chords, scales and the fret roadmap, I'm challenging myself with a little finger picking and strumming fun stuff as well.

I'm working on a piece that requires that I fret the E (second) string at the 8th fret with my third finger, and the A (first) string at the 5th fret with my index finger. I have average size hands, and I'm playing a Tenor Uke. For some reason, that seems an awkward stretch for me, but my difficulty lies in the fact that my fourth finger often accidentally mutes the A string as I fret the E string. It seems that my third finger isn't exactly vertical enough to not hit the A with the pad. Trying to get the finger more vertical hasn't worked so far.

Any suggestions when this happens? I do need to keep my 4th finger on the string since it'll be picked quite quickly after the A.

For those curious, I'm following Corey from HMS's tutorial (YouTube) for Jake's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". It's pretty difficult, but it's loads of fun, and even though it's pretty advanced for me, I can play most of the first part slowly but reasonably well...save for this little conundrum. I sense it won't be the last time my fingers will defy me....

Thanks!

K

Update: This post was edited to reflect the fact that as a N00B, I inadvertently reverted to my piano training and called my ring finger my FOURTH finger instead of my THIRD finger. In any case, the stretch involved is third finger on E 8th fret to first finger on A 5th fret. Sorry for my N00Bosity. I've corrected it in my post.

I

Last edited:
Get a concert uke!!

Actually I have this problem all the time on my tenor uke. I have small hands and a lot of reaches are just too much. It gets a little better with practice, of course, but once you get past a certain age there's only so much loosening up that's going to happen (I don't know if that's the case with you), so I like my concert and soprano ukes better for most things.

Also, Jake has some very long fingers. In Halleujah there's a bit where he's playing on the second and ninth frets, which I can't manage even on my banjo uke which has a VERY tiny little neck.

But keep at it, I'm sure if you have average size hands you wil be able to manage the one you're talking about.

P.S. It might just be that the string tension is a bit harder farther up the neck and that's why it's harder to hold. That will surely get better with practice.

Last edited:
An exercise I was given was: hold your middle and ring fingers with your thumb -- kinda like a circle. Then stretch your index and pinky fingers apart. Don't cause yourself pain, though. Just gently stretch.
And practice. The more you practice, the easier the stretches become.

Get a concert uke!!

Actually I have this problem all the time on my tenor uke. I have small hands and a lot of reaches are just too much. It gets a little better with practice, of course, but once you get past a certain age there's only so much loosening up that's going to happen (I don't know if that's the case with you), so I like my concert and soprano ukes better for most things.

Oh, great. I've played Uke for about a month and I've been able to keep the UAS at bay up until you WENT AND SAID THAT!!! I absolutely am having a BALL playing the Uke, and I can't see myself ever stopping. I'm a classically trained pianist and woodwind/brass player and I'm learning new things again by playing these confounded fretted/stringed instruments!

Now I have to go and think about my second Uke while I stretch my fingers as suggested. Of course, being a second Uke, I want a solid wood Kamaka or KoAloha or Pono from HMS...........

Good thing my wife is thinking about starting to play!! I can justify the smaller sized instrument due to the fact that she has VERY small hands (OR latex glove size 5 1/2 if you are into that sort of thing...mine are 7 to 7 1/2).

UAS, I embrace thee...............

Oh, yeah, in that case there's no excuse NOT get another uke!! Or two. :D

My soprano is the all mahogany Pro-Classic from HMS (I think they still have some) and I love it.

Last edited:
I'm working on a piece that requires that I fret the E (second) string at the 8th fret with my fourth finger, and the A (first) string at the 5th fret with my index finger.
I don't get it... that's only three frets, hardly an awkward stretch in my book.

Try bringing your left wrist up a bit so your hand is more arched over the fretboard. Concentrate on using the tip of your pinky and do not let the first joint bend backwards.

I don't get it... that's only three frets, hardly an awkward stretch in my book.

Try bringing your left wrist up a bit so your hand is more arched over the fretboard. Concentrate on using the tip of your pinky and do not let the first joint bend backwards.

I agree. Doesn't seem awkward at all when I think about it. In fact, my hands span 10 keys on a piano, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Actually, it's not so much the stretch as it is the muting of the A string by the finger fretting the E string. Additionally, as you'll note, I misnamed my finger in my OP, thanks to my piano training and beginnerishness. So, I'm stretching between THIRD and First finger from 8th to 5th fret. Still not big, but it does cramp me up a bit, and I seem to touch the A string with my third finger while fretting the E string.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I agree. Doesn't seem awkward at all when I think about it. In fact, my hands span 10 keys on a piano, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Actually, it's not so much the stretch as it is the muting of the A string by the finger fretting the E string. Additionally, as you'll note, I misnamed my finger in my OP, thanks to my piano training and beginnerishness. So, I'm stretching between THIRD and First finger from 8th to 5th fret. Still not big, but it does cramp me up a bit, and I seem to touch the A string with my third finger while fretting the E string.
Wow, you've got some stretch to span 10 keys. :)

Even if it's the third finger, the principle still applies. I've found that to be able to arch your fingertips so they don't want to "lean" backwards and inadvertently touch/mute the string above it, your nails have to be very short, practically nonexistent. I find that if I'm negligent about keeping my LH nails filed down, it affects my ability to get a clean sound in situations like this.

Wow, you've got some stretch to span 10 keys. :)

Lots of practice....:cool:

Even if it's the third finger, the principle still applies. I've found that to be able to arch your fingertips so they don't want to "lean" backwards and inadvertently touch/mute the string above it, your nails have to be very short, practically nonexistent. I find that if I'm negligent about keeping my LH nails filed down, it affects my ability to get a clean sound in situations like this.

Good points. Thanks!

k

Top Bottom