what do you wear

wallyboy

Reaction score
after watching a you tube vid of jake shimabukuro, decided if i wear a hat like his i will play like him LOL, so i bought one to wear while playing, what hat do you wear,
here's mine
hat 001.jpg

I'm rarely seen without a hat. In fact when someone does see me without a hat on, they are shocked that I have hair.. lol.. But, generally, 90% of the time, it is one of many of these types of caps I have.
1-2.jpg

Every now and then, it's this one..
3-1.jpg

If I play a Renfest, it is either a cavalier hat (with two plumes, one purple, one white) or Tricorn hat. When I play an Irish festival, I might be wearing an Irish tweed cap. When you see me at a show, I might be wearing a Ukulele Player Magazine embroidered ball cap. When you see me in the folk music scene, I might come in wearing a Shady Brady cowboy hat or an Aussie Outback hat (with Drover coat).

Most of the time on stage, though, I don't wear a hat.

Thanks.. I like it too.. But, my go too hats are generally the what I always called 'driving cap". The wife says I have way too many, but I still don't have as many as she has shoes, lol.. But when we go out and about, sometimes I'll sport the Aussie fedora..

I'm rarely seen without a hat. In fact when someone does see me without a hat on, they are shocked that I have hair.. lol.. But, generally, 90% of the time, it is one of many of these types of caps I have.
1-2.jpg

Every now and then, it's this one..
3-1.jpg
i have a aussie hat somewhere i'll try and find it to wear while i play,
no corks tho LOL, yours look pretty cool,

If I play a Renfest, it is either a cavalier hat (with two plumes, one purple, one white) or Tricorn hat. When I play an Irish festival, I might be wearing an Irish tweed cap. When you see me at a show, I might be wearing a Ukulele Player Magazine embroidered ball cap. When you see me in the folk music scene, I might come in wearing a Shady Brady cowboy hat or an Aussie Outback hat (with Drover coat).

Most of the time on stage, though, I don't wear a hat.
like the idea of a cavaler hat, seems like a good show you put on,

I dig hats too. The ones that always seem to look best on me are the newsboys, which you don't see many girls wearing. I rock an 8 panel citysport silk (looks like tweed, rough silk), and a 6 panel citysport denim. Wool makes my head itch.

I don't always wear a hat, but my hair is too thick not to have some in rotation.

The funny thing about my "fashion" sense, when I do wear the Aussie hat, people ask why I'm so dressed up? lol.. They are so used to my driving caps, that the aussie hat is my "Formal wear".. lol

...The wife says I have way too many, but I still don't have as many as she has shoes, lol...

I'm sure she's explained that she has twice as many feet as you have heads... :biglaugh:

She hasnt, and Im not gonna tip her in on that argument. Wouldn't work anyway, because she has at least 3 times as many shoes as I do hats..

"Paperboy" hat.. That's what everybody calls my go to hats.. But, I call them "Driving" caps... Or maybe even "Andy" caps.. ;)

I'm sure she's explained that she has twice as many feet as you have heads... :biglaugh:

She hasnt, and Im not gonna tip her in on that argument. Wouldn't work anyway, because she has at least 3 times as many shoes as I do hats..

"Paperboy" hat.. That's what everybody calls my go to hats.. But, I call them "Driving" caps... Or maybe even "Andy" caps.. ;)

I used to call them "Great Gatsby" hats because the first time I noticed one was in that movie... I bought one and I'd drive around in my old convertible Ford Galaxy with the seat pushed all the way back and slouched down so I could barely see over the dashboard. I thought I was something for sure...but then I was sixteen so what the heck did I know! :biglaugh:

I've heard them called newsboy hats and cabbie hats. I wonder if they've really got a name...

John

I bought one and I'd drive around in my old convertible Ford Galaxy with the seat pushed all the way back and slouched down so I could barely see over the dashboard.

You so Gangsta.. lol.. I used to call them Gatsby hats too for the same reason. I used to drive a 1930 Model A Ford around when I lived in California, and I also thought I was the cat's meow cruising in my cap.. ;)

image.jpg
This is how you will find me when I having a good strum

My dad was quite the character, and Hats were his thing, except he wore them for much different reasons than us. He didn't wear hats to be cool, he always made it a point to find, and wear the dorkiest hats that you can find, and wear then at any event that he can embarrass my Mom with. My Dad had quite the collection of hats, from Fedoras, Paperboy, Derbies, cowboy, trucker, and his infamous HUGE collection of the dorkiest straw hats he could find. I just grabbed this picture because there are so many pictures with him being a dork in a hat, lol.. He was somethin. It's no wonder everyone that knew him still misses him. Hats were Dad's thang, and I guess where I get my hat thing from..

vgsgk.jpg

Last edited:
Such as earlier in the thread. I guess girls aren't supposed to know enough hats to talk about them...

I used to call them "Great Gatsby" hats because the first time I noticed one was in that movie... I bought one and I'd drive around in my old convertible Ford Galaxy with the seat pushed all the way back and slouched down so I could barely see over the dashboard. I thought I was something for sure...but then I was sixteen so what the heck did I know! :biglaugh:

I've heard them called newsboy hats and cabbie hats. I wonder if they've really got a name...

John

I love hats! I wish they would come back in style like in the 20-40's. They just don't look any good on me. Thankfully I am getting to the age where I don't care! Think I will get me a hat for Christmas!

You so Gangsta.. lol.. I used to call them Gatsby hats too for the same reason. I used to drive a 1930 Model A Ford around when I lived in California, and I also thought I was the cat's meow cruising in my cap.. ;)

Dude! You know we're wayyy too alike - I swear we must share some DNA back a generation or two! Any Atchleys, Surbers, Maples, or Lindseys in your line? :biglaugh:

John

Such as earlier in the thread. I guess girls aren't supposed to know enough hats to talk about them...

I'm sorry, I didn't overlook you, but you must know way more about 'em than me. Are you saying they're called citysport hats? Or am I being even thicker than usual? When I read your post I figured citysport was a brand name...

John

I love hats! I wish they would come back in style like in the 20-40's. They just don't look any good on me. Thankfully I am getting to the age where I don't care! Think I will get me a hat for Christmas!

Heh, heh. I'm getting to the age where they hide the thin spot on my noggin and my receding hairline. I guess I can't complain too much, my brother was down to a monk fringe by the time he was thirty...

John

Your scaring me John. But, yuh, I have actually noticed that too in many ways. Not sure who should be scared'er, me or you though.. lol..

Dude! You know we're wayyy too alike - I swear we must share some DNA back a generation or two! Any Atchleys, Surbers, Maples, or Lindseys in your line? :biglaugh:

John

Top Bottom