How many of one size is too many

Wongo

Reaction score
I currently have 2 concert sized ukuleles, my wife want to buy me another uke for Christmas. I'm looking at getting a tanglewood tu9 eq. Which is also a concert size. But semi acoustic. I can't get to a shop to try a tenor so don't want her to waste her money. So my question is, is three concerts to many? Also is this the best one I can get for £150gbp?
Many thanks in advance.

I have to agree with Pippin, and add that I still haven't figured out how many of any size is to many! I have several of each size and don't think I have enough yet!

The only way to know if you have too many of one size is if some of them almost never get played - and that doesn't necessarily mean that you have too many, just that you need to get rid of the ones that don't get played and buy more that will... :)

John

No, I don't think three concerts would be too many, especially if each one has some sort of distinguishing feature - pineapple or conventional shape; koa or mahogany or spruce/rosewood or whatever wood combo; different tones; one strung low-G; etc etc. I don't think you can have too many at all. (Note to MM Stan - Is it possible to have too many ukes??)

Last edited:
Too many of one size? I think not. Each gets played, sometimes...

2012 Graziano Custom Baritone (build in progress)
'12 Ko'olau CE-1 Baritone
'11 Pono Acacia Deluxe Baritone
'09 Pono Mahogany Deluxe Baritone
'08 Pono Macassar Ebony and Cedar top Baritone
’64 Gibson BU1
'64 Guild BU-1 Baritone
'64 Favilla B2 Baritone
'72 Yasuma Model 51 Baritone
'75 C.F. Mountain Model 51 Baritone
'53 Vega Arthur Godfrey Solo Lute
'52 Vega Arthur Godfrey Baritone (deluxe)
'55 Harmony Model 695 Baritone
'65 Harmony Model 695 Baritone
'65 Airline Baritone
'59 Biltmore Short Scale Baritone
'71 Bobby Henshaw Baritone
'55 Kent Carmencita Baritone
'55 Kustom Kraft Baritone
'68 Lyra Baritone
'70 Giannini Baritone
'66 Aria Model 1255 Baritone
'10 Eleuke Mahogany Baritone
'72 Regal Spruce top Baritone
'68 Silvertone Baritone
'09 Kala KA-B Mahogany Baritone
'11 Cordoba Cuatro (as Baritone)
'09 Jupiter Creek Telecaster Steel String Baritone
'09 Oscar Schmidt OU55CE Koa Baritone
'70 Maccaferri Islander Plastic Baritone

Hey Mike, I think there's been a mistake...I noticed two instruments in that list that don't have "baritone" after them...

John

That's what I wanted to hear. You guys are such enablers. Now to decide what to get.

Aloha Wongo,
ha ha You are asking the wrong people...we are a bunch of enablers...mike and Kat are like ukulele stores at their homes...ha ha
make sure you don't buy redundant in sound though...of course you can try different tunings and strings to make them different from the other ones..
Yes Yes you have a nice wife, make sure she buys one for you on every occasions.... best type of spouse is the ones that supports your passions...
Happy Strummings...:)

Yes, Wongo, around here there is no such thing as too many. Let's see, I have three Tenors, two concerts, one grand concert, one mini concert, one baritone, and one soprano. Nope, not too many concerts in my opinion!

Logically I agree about thinning the ones that don't get played that much, but I have never parted with an ukulele after I got it. Each one kind of means something to me even if I don't play it that much - it's like I have a current favorite, but that changes every so often. And there are the differences like some have pickups, some are low G, I have one six string, so there is justification for multiples!

Ok I will be in the minority but I think three is too many. There have been several, what I consider, deals on nice concert ukes ( k brands). I had the $$$$ just didn't want another. Honestly I think two is too many, but the one is Moore Bettah than most.

But to each their own, if you want it and it will get played go for it.

If they're substantially different, or if you have a really special one that you don't want to beat up or might be shy to take out in some situations, or something like that - and you aren't sacrificing quality for quantity - great.

Which is your favorite size??? :)
Too many of one size? I think not. Each gets played, sometimes...

2012 Graziano Custom Baritone (build in progress)
'12 Ko'olau CE-1 Baritone
'11 Pono Acacia Deluxe Baritone
'09 Pono Mahogany Deluxe Baritone
'08 Pono Macassar Ebony and Cedar top Baritone
’64 Gibson BU1
'64 Guild BU-1 Baritone
'64 Favilla B2 Baritone
'72 Yasuma Model 51 Baritone
'75 C.F. Mountain Model 51 Baritone
'53 Vega Arthur Godfrey Solo Lute
'52 Vega Arthur Godfrey Baritone (deluxe)
'55 Harmony Model 695 Baritone
'65 Harmony Model 695 Baritone
'65 Airline Baritone
'59 Biltmore Short Scale Baritone
'71 Bobby Henshaw Baritone
'55 Kent Carmencita Baritone
'55 Kustom Kraft Baritone
'68 Lyra Baritone
'70 Giannini Baritone
'66 Aria Model 1255 Baritone
'10 Eleuke Mahogany Baritone
'72 Regal Spruce top Baritone
'68 Silvertone Baritone
'09 Kala KA-B Mahogany Baritone
'11 Cordoba Cuatro (as Baritone)
'09 Jupiter Creek Telecaster Steel String Baritone
'09 Oscar Schmidt OU55CE Koa Baritone
'70 Maccaferri Islander Plastic Baritone

Actaully you buy Yookes to find your holy grail and experiment on what you like in sound and size..and what works for you...
If it was so easy finding a good uke to your preference, the dealers wouldn't be living in big houses and driving mercedes....just joking dealers..LOL Ha Ha

For 150 gbp I defo wouldn't get a Tanglewood. There are much better brands available around that price, even some in solid wood or at least with solid tops. A well set-up Kala with solid top for instance would give you much more for your money. I don't think three concerts are two many as long as you get something different out of each of them: different sounds, functions, tunings... But if they're fairly similar why not save up for one really good concert instead of three average ones?

For 150 gbp I defo wouldn't get a Tanglewood. There are much better brands available around that price, even some in solid wood or at least with solid tops. A well set-up Kala with solid top for instance would give you much more for your money. I don't think three concerts are two many as long as you get something different out of each of them: different sounds, functions, tunings... But if they're fairly similar why not save up for one really good concert instead of three average ones?

Have to agree with Lalou on this. Each new uke in a given size should at least be a step up. Don't know what you're playing now, nor what you budget looks like, but don't just keep getting more of the same...try to step up a little each time. If you already have two ukes it's really time to look at an all solid or at the very least one with a solid top.

Edited to add: Oh, and if you've never tried another size it might be worth giving that a thought. I avoided soprano-scale ukes for a long time because initially I couldn't play them (fingerboard too crowded). Now, I find it a real tossup whether I prefer my sopranos or longneck (concert scale) sopranos.

John

John

See, now, I don't think that there is such a thing as too many, but none is certainly too few.

Haven't been doing this long, but each new uke makes me learn something else. I started with with a tenor and bought my daughter a soprano within a day or two. It was the soprano that hooked me on playing - I found it much easier to reach the cords than on the tenor.

After the soprano came a concert flea. That convinced me of the importance of a good set-up. It is still the easiest uke for me to play. Next came a solid wood baritone. The difference in tone let me know that I was only scratching the surface in terms of what a good ukulele could sound like.

That led me to sell my kala tenor and upgrade to a Pono - that arrived yesterday and I'm still trying to figure out what this one will teach me. I really hope it isn't teaching me that I should buy in person rather than online...

Ok I will be in the minority but I think three is too many. There have been several, what I consider, deals on nice concert ukes ( k brands). I had the $$$$ just didn't want another. Honestly I think two is too many, but the one is Moore Bettah than most.

But to each their own, if you want it and it will get played go for it.

Dnewton-- that's the problem. It's a Moore Bettah! Ya don't need another one.

I am not an enabler. I do not at all understand the need for bazillions of ukuleles. Especially since so many people buy laterally. But that's just me.

Top Bottom