PDA

View Full Version : Standard Noob Mistake

Jockulele
11-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Okay, I went ahead and bought a Mahalo U320 before I registered on this board and now realise i got it the wrong way round. :o
I want to see if I'm going to enjoy the uke before I splash out on something nice ( for which I will of course seek advise) but meantime I would like to improve what I got.
I have the Aquilas but it's my first time with friction tuners and I'm having trouble tuning it up and keeping it there so I plan to get some geared ones.
Other than that, what my options for improving the sound?

Cheers

Jock

UkEdman90
11-27-2008, 09:14 AM
to improve sound smash it on the floor and get a better uke... just snag a Lanikai or a KALA sound decent for the price. GREAt starter ukes and when u ding em u dont loose sleep over it

russ_buss
11-27-2008, 09:23 AM
...I want to see if I'm going to enjoy the uke before I splash out on something nice...

i think that was a wise decision. do you hate the sound of your current uke? don't get discouraged by the fact that people trash the brand. play the hell out of it, then upgrade if you feel it necessary.

Dibblet
11-28-2008, 04:07 AM
... I'm having trouble tuning it up and keeping it there so I plan to get some geared ones.

Have you tried tightening the screws on the ends of the tuners? They may be too slack for it to stay in tune.

freedive135
11-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Tighten the screws on the back of the tuners alittle 1/4 turn maybe, my Flea's friction tuners slip when it gets cold.
Strech the strings out alittle that helps break them in faster.

Your Mahalo is just fine to start with but not much other than changing the strings will help its sound.
Use it to learn chord shapes till yuo get a nicer Uke, even the most expencive Uke sounds BAD when you mess up on your fingering!!!!

When you get better but that Mahalo in your car/backpac, camping gear or give to a friend that wants to learn.

These guys love their Mahalo's it seems...
http://ukulelecosmos.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9060&sid=0a40e9728a849338f16d29df4a0be62c

Jockulele
11-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the (mostly) positive suggestions.

I'm going to restring it tonight , check the tuners are tight and "gie it laldy" as we often say in this part of the world.

Oh and have a beer too, it is Friday after all

Cheers

puremarkska
11-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Oh and have a beer too, it is Friday after all

Cheers

Drink enough beer and you can make uke sound awesome!

Guting
11-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Drink enough beer and you can make uke sound awesome!

Garaunteed :o

Terrell
11-29-2008, 06:21 PM
well one good way that i use to check sound is play it in the bathroom so everything echoes back to you and u hear second hand what your uke sounds like. when i first got my kala mahogany tenor i didn't like it cuz the aluminum wound C sorta drowned out all the strings to me. so i bought some D'Addario pro arte's and now it's nice and balanced. basically just try and bunch of different strings till u find one u like. and then if all else fails.... buy a new uke:D

haole
11-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Mahalos may not sound great or stay in tune, but they are not hopeless!

Work on tuning stability first. Ten bucks will get you a set of Grover geared tuners: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Ukulele_tuners/Grover_Ukulele_Tuning_Machines.html

While they're probably worth a third of the price of the whole ukulele, they will make a world of difference and shouldn't be terribly difficult to install. And when you upgrade to another uke, you could always swap the good tuners to it.