Kamaka HF-3 tenor w/Fishman pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuprin

Reaction score
As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'm moving in with my girlfriend and need to unload a few ukuleles. So, I sold 4 a couple of weeks ago and I'm listing another 3.

First up, my Kamaka HF-3 tenor. I previously had a Kamaka HF-3 and sold it to fund my Moore Bettah. I then missed it so I bought this. I really hope I don't regret selling it because I really can't afford to keep buying more Kamakas.

I had my luthier install a Fishman passive pickup in it. It works wonderfully and can be heard in one of my videos (I'll post it below). In the interest of full disclosure, the saddle is not the original Kamaka saddle. Before my luthier installed the pickup, I went a little wild with the sander to lower the action. Apparently I did such a horrendous job that my luthier insisted on carving a new saddle from scratch. The ukulele is in amazing shape but there are some very, very fine strumming scratches. I could not get my camera to pick them up.

So, I paid $1245 for this and the pickup costs $89.95 at most stores (although I did see it on Amazon for $88.62), not to mention the luthier costs of carving a saddle and the pickup installation. I'd like to get $900 for it. Hard case and shipping within the continental US are included. I will also throw in a Snark SN-2 (the red one).

Pictures:

Kamaka1.jpg

Kamaka2.jpg

Kamaka3.jpg

image-1.jpg

Last edited:
More pictures:

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

image.jpg

And, of course, the picture with my UU name on it (the Kamaka is at the top):

image-7.jpg

I did a very quick sound sample with the built-in mic on my laptop. The quality is not great...

https://www.box.com/s/3mnn34v7ys9sghnemnqk

And, a video using the pickup. It's going into a L.R. Baggs Venue DI and then a Fishman AFX Reverb:

Last edited:
Hmmm...not a lot of interest in this guy huh? Price drop to $900. Price of this uke with the pickup (ignoring luthier costs to install) is $1334.95 so $900 is an amazing deal!!!

Wow. Another great deal on a great uke from a great seller. Seriously people, WTF are you waiting for? I have one of these with a pickup and they are fantastic ukes. Just listen to that sound sample.

That being said, Chris don't sell this. You will be sorry. Is space that much of a premium in your new digs? Or do you not play it enough to justify keeping it and need the Money? If you like, send it to me and I will store it for you and return it whenever you like. I will keep it humidified and it will live happily amoungst a fellow HF-3 and a Liliu cousin. As well as a few other high end ukes. It will live a happy life until you are ready to take it back. Please don't sell this.

I'm with Dana keep it or you'll regret it. I've got one I bought last Christmas and put an LR Baggs in it and love it. Your asking way to low for it. Don't do that to yourself. It's one of those keepers.

Nuprin, I'm a relative newbie to both the ukulele and UU, so I may not be the most knowledgeable person on this forum. That being said...

I hate to make people second guess themselves (mostly because I hate it when people do that to me). But, as an ukulele newbie, the Kamaka HF-3 is something that I aspire to own someday--when I'm a better player, and I am financially able to do so. Getting to the point, I just hope you aren't making a mistake by selling this ukulele, particularly since you've sold another HF-3 in the past and had to get this one after you discovered you couldn't live without it.

Whatever you do, good luck to you and your girlfriend on the move.

Sale pending. Thanks for all your concerns about this sale everyone...truth is, I don't play it enough to justify keeping it. I did miss the other one when I sold it, and will probably miss this one also. But, if it doesn't get played, it needs to go into the hands of someone who will play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom