Aquila baritone gCEA strings - tuned linear?

Reservoir Dog

Reaction score
I have a set of Aquila baritone strings, gCEA. Any known problems if I change the C and G strings with each other to get a linear tuning?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure although I will say that if you do this you still won't have linear thickness. The g string is thinner than the E string. The g string is only 2 semitones lower than the A string.

Anthony

Never heard of that being done Resevoir. As Anthony said, the string thickness don't match up. I suggest you go out and buy a set of baritone strings and string that baby up to hear what a true baritone sounds like; DGBE. A linear C tuned bari just sounds like a deep sounding tenor IMO. I've got a set of Martin 630's on my bari and am about to try a set of Living Water strings.

I have a set of Southcoast GCEA bari strings you can have if you want to try 'em. Just pm me your address. I was given them after my friend found that tuning on his bari sounded thin. I want my bari sounding deep and throaty; hence the DGBE tuning.

Last edited:
Buy new strings. Or, if you really want to do this:
Use the c-string as the g-string,
use the e-string as the c-string and
use the g-string as the e-string.
Leave the a-string where it is.

I have a set of Aquila baritone strings, gCEA. Any known problems if I change the C and G strings with each other to get a linear tuning?

Thanks in advance.

Mimmo, who makes the strings, goes to great lengths to make sure that the thickness of each string gives an even tension - so that each string feels equally tight. Mimmo is an expert and a perfectionist. Most of what he does would be very difficult to improve on.

Mimmo, who makes the strings, goes to great lengths to make sure that the thickness of each string gives an even tension - so that each string feels equally tight. Mimmo is an expert and a perfectionist. Most of what he does would be very difficult to improve on.

Top Bottom