Different uke?

Normagal

Reaction score
I see most of you have more than one uke. I have a yellow Makala Dolphin with Aquila strings. The only reason I sometimes crave a different one is for the look - I'm thinking a wood color one would look more adult like. I've looked at some at a local store-and I'm not really noticing that much of a sound difference with the better ones. I would still want to stay around or under $100. Would this really gain me anything in sound?

Yes, a higher quality Uke will definitely make a difference in sound!

To me, the Dolphin sounds kind of "toy like" whereas the Islander sounds brighter/fuller and more like an instrument.

What are you seeing at the local store? There are definitely wood ukes out there that cost more than a dolphin but don't deliver any better sound. In the lower end price range, cost and sound aren't always well correlated.

At the lower end of the spectrum the keyword is "variable" - it applies to build quality, tone, volume etc. What it means is that some $35 Dolphins will sound better than some $120 laminated Lanikai ukes (but not that you can count on it) and so on. I.e. the name on the headstock matters much less than that you get a "lucky" one of the bunch. You may have a "pick of the litter" Dolphin in which case I wouldn't bother getting something else until you're ready to move up to a uke that is clearly better.

Also, I think you just dated yourself as probably being somewhere in your late teens to late twenties - most of us of advanced age don't give a rat's patootie about what looks more adult... :biglaugh:

John

I will say this; I originally had a Lanikai laminate. I played the fool out of it and decided to get a nice uke. When my KoAloha arrived, I was really disappointed in the sound. Why? My ear had become accustom to the sound of the Lanikai. It took me a little while to train my brain as to what a good uke should sound like.

As I have very little pre-uke music experience, you can take that with a grain of salt...

Ok-this is interesting.
Blue Latitude-you live in Wisconsin! So do I. I'm in SW- how about you if you don't mind my asking? I tried to figure out how to get my location on here.
PTOE-I just was in your area last week-my kids live near there.
Oldephart-I'm not exactly a young adult anymore:)
Bluelatitude-I'm feeling like a soprano is just fine. I'll look up the ones you are describing.

Ok-this is interesting.
Blue Latitude-you live in Wisconsin! So do I. I'm in SW- how about you if you don't mind my asking? I tried to figure out how to get my location on here.

Top right corner, next to the "Log out" link, there is a link which says "Settings".

Inside the settings, look at the navigation on the left side. You want to click "Edit Profile".

You'll be able to add a location there :)

Blue Latitude-you live in Wisconsin! So do I. I'm in SW- how about you if you don't mind my asking?

I'm in Milwaukee. Where are you?

I just sent you a PM, too (you have to click on Private Message at the top of the page).

At the lower end of the spectrum the keyword is "variable" - it applies to build quality, tone, volume etc. What it means is that some $35 Dolphins will sound better than some $120 laminated Lanikai ukes (but not that you can count on it) and so on. I.e. the name on the headstock matters much less than that you get a "lucky" one of the bunch. You may have a "pick of the litter" Dolphin in which case I wouldn't bother getting something else until you're ready to move up to a uke that is clearly better.

Also, I think you just dated yourself as probably being somewhere in your late teens to late twenties - most of us of advanced age don't give a rat's patootie about what looks more adult... :biglaugh:

John

Yap, John is right there, save up and get a much better uke. I like the Islander which suggested by BlueLatitude.

By the way, John, I am having a hard time getting a dolphin for $35 now. They sell from $40 to as much as $60 these days - this one appreciate much faster than the petrol.

By the way, John, I am having a hard time getting a dolphin for $35 now. They sell from $40 to as much as $60 these days - this one appreciate much faster than the petrol.

Yeah...I think I paid 40 or 45 for the one I bought but that was because I specifically wanted a blue metallic (it was for a blues contest prize) and they were a little harder to find.

John

Top Bottom