PDA

View Full Version : Different uke?

Normagal
12-02-2012, 01:43 AM
I see most of you have more than one uke. I have a yellow Makala Dolphin with Aquila strings. The only reason I sometimes crave a different one is for the look - I'm thinking a wood color one would look more adult like. I've looked at some at a local store-and I'm not really noticing that much of a sound difference with the better ones. I would still want to stay around or under $100. Would this really gain me anything in sound?

BlueLatitude
12-02-2012, 03:56 AM
Would you still want a soprano? You could get a nice upgrade if you wanted to spend $100.

This is pretty for $93 and I'm very happy with my Kalas:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-sem-exotic-mahogany-ukulele.html

Or if you were willing to go a little higher you could get this Islander:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/islander-soprano-mahogany-ms-4.html

I think you'd enjoy having a better uke once you had it in your hands.

GKK
12-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Yes, a higher quality Uke will definitely make a difference in sound!

To me, the Dolphin sounds kind of "toy like" whereas the Islander sounds brighter/fuller and more like an instrument.

PTOEguy
12-02-2012, 05:38 AM
What are you seeing at the local store? There are definitely wood ukes out there that cost more than a dolphin but don't deliver any better sound. In the lower end price range, cost and sound aren't always well correlated.

OldePhart
12-02-2012, 07:40 AM
At the lower end of the spectrum the keyword is "variable" - it applies to build quality, tone, volume etc. What it means is that some $35 Dolphins will sound better than some $120 laminated Lanikai ukes (but not that you can count on it) and so on. I.e. the name on the headstock matters much less than that you get a "lucky" one of the bunch. You may have a "pick of the litter" Dolphin in which case I wouldn't bother getting something else until you're ready to move up to a uke that is clearly better.

Also, I think you just dated yourself as probably being somewhere in your late teens to late twenties - most of us of advanced age don't give a rat's patootie about what looks more adult... :biglaugh:

John

Tigeralum2001
12-02-2012, 07:53 AM
I will say this; I originally had a Lanikai laminate. I played the fool out of it and decided to get a nice uke. When my KoAloha arrived, I was really disappointed in the sound. Why? My ear had become accustom to the sound of the Lanikai. It took me a little while to train my brain as to what a good uke should sound like.

As I have very little pre-uke music experience, you can take that with a grain of salt...

Normagal
12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Ok-this is interesting.
Blue Latitude-you live in Wisconsin! So do I. I'm in SW- how about you if you don't mind my asking? I tried to figure out how to get my location on here.
PTOE-I just was in your area last week-my kids live near there.
Oldephart-I'm not exactly a young adult anymore:)
Bluelatitude-I'm feeling like a soprano is just fine. I'll look up the ones you are describing.

Henry Chinaski
12-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Ok-this is interesting.
Blue Latitude-you live in Wisconsin! So do I. I'm in SW- how about you if you don't mind my asking? I tried to figure out how to get my location on here.

Top right corner, next to the "Log out" link, there is a link which says "Settings".

Inside the settings, look at the navigation on the left side. You want to click "Edit Profile".

You'll be able to add a location there :)

Normagal
12-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks, Henry. I think I got it.

BlueLatitude
12-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Blue Latitude-you live in Wisconsin! So do I. I'm in SW- how about you if you don't mind my asking?

I'm in Milwaukee. Where are you?

I just sent you a PM, too (you have to click on Private Message at the top of the page).

PhilUSAFRet
12-02-2012, 03:27 PM
If you want another soprano, nice red Kamoa with solid spruce top in the Marketplace for $110 shipped.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?73602-Kamoa-soprano

cahaya
12-02-2012, 03:33 PM
At the lower end of the spectrum the keyword is "variable" - it applies to build quality, tone, volume etc. What it means is that some $35 Dolphins will sound better than some $120 laminated Lanikai ukes (but not that you can count on it) and so on. I.e. the name on the headstock matters much less than that you get a "lucky" one of the bunch. You may have a "pick of the litter" Dolphin in which case I wouldn't bother getting something else until you're ready to move up to a uke that is clearly better.

Also, I think you just dated yourself as probably being somewhere in your late teens to late twenties - most of us of advanced age don't give a rat's patootie about what looks more adult... :biglaugh:

John

Yap, John is right there, save up and get a much better uke. I like the Islander which suggested by BlueLatitude.

By the way, John, I am having a hard time getting a dolphin for $35 now. They sell from $40 to as much as $60 these days - this one appreciate much faster than the petrol.

cahaya
12-02-2012, 03:35 PM
If you want another soprano, nice red Kamoa with solid spruce top in the Marketplace for $110 shipped.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?73602-Kamoa-soprano

This is a great buy!

OldePhart
12-02-2012, 03:39 PM
By the way, John, I am having a hard time getting a dolphin for $35 now. They sell from $40 to as much as $60 these days - this one appreciate much faster than the petrol.

Yeah...I think I paid 40 or 45 for the one I bought but that was because I specifically wanted a blue metallic (it was for a blues contest prize) and they were a little harder to find.

John