PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a Kala KA-S that ships to the UK?

signeduptoaskaquestion
12-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Hi, I would really really appreciate some help with this! Decided on my first ukulele, a Kala KA-S, I was going to order online from Uke Republic but they don't ship to the UK. :( Loads of people have been talking about how you can't just choose anywhere because you need a "professional set-up" (whatever that is :s) so I take it amazon is out of the question, and I really don't want to order from e-bay if at all possible... So could anyone please tell me where I could buy this that has a "professional set-up"? Thank-you. :)

signeduptoaskaquestion
12-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Is Hawaii Music Supply (theukulelesite) a good seller? :)

kvehe
12-02-2012, 07:01 AM
OMG, yes, one of the best.

Wongo
12-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Is Hawaii Music Supply (theukulelesite) a good seller? :)

Yes it is but take into account that you have to pay tax and duty on any purchase from outside of Europe plus shipping all of which can add up to a hefty sum. Have a look at the southern ukulele store.

KamakOzzie
12-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Welcome to UU.

Yes, they are good. Also check with Mim. I believe she will ship to UK. Mim@mimsukes.com

Bill

ukuhippo
12-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Importing to the Uk from the USA wil cost you a lot of money for taxes etcetera. Get in personal contact with UK-sellers and ask them if they can offer what you want, Examples: HighlyStrung, Courtney and Walker. Did I say get in personal touch? I menat that, call them and talk to them.

Louis0815
12-02-2012, 07:44 AM
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/ in Bournemouth seem to have some reputation and expertise.
Ordering there for sure saves you all the customs hassle - and they seem to have what you want: KA-S Soprano Mahogany (http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/235/Kala-KA-S-Soprano-Ukulele-Mahogany)

Southern Ukulele Store (SUS) is a dedicated ukulele shop based at the premises of Music is Life in Southbourne, Bournemouth. The Southern Ukulele Store (SUS) is a trading name of Music is Life Instrument Retail Ltd. All items bought from SUS will be dispatched from the Music is Life distribution centre.

We are passionate about ukuleles and our mission is to spread the ukulele bug far and wide. Be you a starter or an expert, we'll have what's best for you, but if you're not sure what you want then please call us on +44 (0)1202 430820 for friendly advice. Paul, Rob, Alex or Nick will be delighted to help you. And with over 1000 ukuleles in stock at any one time, from 15 to 1000, we'll have something to tickle your fancy.

All ukuleles are inspected when they arrive with us, set up and adjusted as required, then checked again before we send them to ensure that you get them in tip top condition.

Lalz
12-02-2012, 07:48 AM
HMS, Uke Republic and Mims are brilliant indeed, but Wongo and ukuhippo are right: for a model like the KA-S that is very widespread in Europe, it's definitely not worth importing it from the US, you'll just end up spending lots of money in taxes and shipping. There are several sellers in Europe that do good set-ups as well, and most EU shops won't charge you additional costs to ship to the UK compared to shipping local. Plus EU = no import taxes.
Here's a thread with a list of European online dealers that you can get set-ups from: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?69613-Online-Shops-that-Do-Set-ups-International-Edition
Good luck and have fun with your new uke! :)

Lalz
12-02-2012, 10:33 AM
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/ in Bournemouth seem to have some reputation and expertise.
Ordering there for sure saves you all the customs hassle - and they seem to have what you want: KA-S Soprano Mahogany (http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/235/Kala-KA-S-Soprano-Ukulele-Mahogany)

+1 on SUS. They're good. Make sure to ask for a set-up when you place your order!

The Big Kahuna
12-02-2012, 11:38 AM
When discussing stores that offer a "setup", I think you need to clarify what is included in that. For example, are they offering to deepen the nut slots and lower the bridge saddle, in which case, that's only borderline "setup". If they lowered the action to the extent that most people would consider acceptable, and discovered one or more frets that were causing a buzz or a dead note, would they skim, reprofile and polish the frets, or would they just stick a shim under the saddle and box it up.

When I was a guitar tech' I hardly ever carried out a setup that didn't require a fret skim, and anyone who wouldn't consider it if required, isn't offering the service.

signeduptoaskaquestion
12-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks so much for the help everyone, I really appreciate it! Have my Kala KA-S on order now, so excited!

One last question - I ordered a uke because I find the sound a soprano uke makes gorgeous, but I only hear it with voice. That's no issue listening to it, but I'm an awful singer and I'm not really interested in learning. I think it'd discourage me a bit just listening to stuff with voice as I wouldn't be able to aspire to that. Can anyone recommend any ukulele music please (without singers)? Thank-you! :)

Lalz
12-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks so much for the help everyone, I really appreciate it! Have my Kala KA-S on order now, so excited!

One last question - I ordered a uke because I find the sound a soprano uke makes gorgeous, but I only hear it with voice. That's no issue listening to it, but I'm an awful singer and I'm not really interested in learning. I think it'd discourage me a bit just listening to stuff with voice as I wouldn't be able to aspire to that. Can anyone recommend any ukulele music please (without singers)? Thank-you! :)

Yay! Congrats!
Don't worry about the singing, no need to if you don't want to. The ukulele is a very versatile instrument! :)
There's quite a lot of people who play the ukulele instrumentally as a solo instrument without singing. Jake Shimabukuro, Herb Ohta, Daniel Ho, Kalei Gamiao, Roy Smeck, Lyle Ritz... If you're looking for sheet-music or tutorials for that kind of playing, look for ones focusing on melody fingerpicking or chord soloing.

signeduptoaskaquestion
12-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Yay! Congrats!
Don't worry about the singing, no need to if you don't want to. The ukulele is a very versatile instrument! :)
There's quite a lot of people who play the ukulele instrumentally as a solo instrument without singing. Jake Shimabukuro, Herb Ohta, Daniel Ho, Kalei Gamiao, Roy Smeck, Lyle Ritz... If you're looking for sheet-music or tutorials for that kind of playing, look for ones focusing on melody fingerpicking or chord soloing.

Thanks! :D Especially love Jake Shimabukuro out of your recommendations (spent the past few days listening to them none-stop). And thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Lalz
12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks! :D Especially love Jake Shimabukuro out of your recommendations (spent the past few days listening to them none-stop). And thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Nee botha :)

ukuhippo
12-05-2012, 07:45 PM

Did you get it yet, and where did you buy it?