Hunt for Mango

RenTag

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I live in Jacksonville and was out at the beach yesterday so I stopped in the local music shop (Georges Music) to check out some Ukes. I was really hoping they would have something made of Mango but they were out at the time. HOWEVER I played alot of different ukes while I was there, mostly Kala and Lanikai.

I did get a chance to play this and it was AWESOME! I really enjoyed the sound. The only problem I had is that the frets seemed to stick up pretty high, to the point it would interfere with sliding your finger. I don't know if all of them are that way or this one was defective.

http://www.georgesmusic.com/product...-with-Electronics-100464.html?cPath=100000926

I also played a U-bass for the first time. They had 3 different models, all kala, 2 electric and 1 acoustic. I was surprised that the acoustic was a true acoustic and didn't have an input. But I really enjoyed playing them, I would love to add one to my collection but not for $500.

My hunt for mango continues! I really love the idea of it and hope it sounds as good as I think they would.
http://www.georgesmusic.com/product...o-Concert-Ukulele-100474.html?cPath=100000926

Ren Tag, take your hunt for mango over to Mainland Ukuleles. I have both tenor and pineapple in the mango and especially like the pineapple for its wonderful resonance and balance between top and bottom end.

http://www.georgesmusic.com/product...-with-Electronics-100464.html?cPath=100000926

I also played a U-bass for the first time. They had 3 different models, all kala, 2 electric and 1 acoustic. I was surprised that the acoustic was a true acoustic and didn't have an input. But I really enjoyed playing them, I would love to add one to my collection but not for $500.

I believe that acoustic bass had a passive pickup....no knobs or anything, just a jack through the strap button. Not aware Kala makes one without. Can get some "B" stock under $300, have seen new acoustic electric Ubasses go for $349...then there is used. I saw an all mahogany acoustic/electric go recently in ebay for $225...don't hold your breath for another deal like that.

You will probably like mango if you like bright ukes. I find mango considerably brighter than either mahogany or koa. I like it, but it's definitely not for the feint of heart. :)

John

Amen to that! My Mango Super soprano is the brightest uke I have ever played. (I never a played a maple uke.)

I guess it depends on the Uke. My Kala Tenor Spalted Mango (laminate) is very mellow... definitely not my brightest sounding uke. My Mainland concert Mango (solid wood, not laminate) is brighter, but not as bright as my Zebrawood Ohana Soprano. If it is a laminate uke, with spalted mango grain, then construction technique is really more important to the overall sound then the wood type. The Mainland Mango is solid wood, but not spalted. Spalted grain is usually too weak by itself (and needs to be a laminate), so if you are looking for dramatic wood grain, be aware of that.

Also be aware that spalted mango grain and color varies widely from uke to uke. A "representative" photo may be very different than the uke you get if you order online.
–Lori

Last edited:
Ren Tag, take your hunt for mango over to Mainland Ukuleles. I have both tenor and pineapple in the mango and especially like the pineapple for its wonderful resonance and balance between top and bottom end.

Another recommendation for Mainland, I love my concert mango!

Happy with my Mainland Soprano!

I will also say that my Mainland Mango concert is incredible sounding.

And also exceptionally good looking.;)

Top Bottom