how do u make up picking?

is there a specific way to go about this? like say make up picking for any chord progression. im in a band so i gotta figuree this out
thanks in adavance:D

I think going back to theory is the best way to go about this. Knowing the schematics and knowing where the notes are on the fingerboard. At the moment i'm learning the pentatonic scales. I was so happy when someone was strumming c chord progressions and I was able to do a pentatonic C scale with them...It sounded really cool even though it wasn't "lead uke" per se! it still made me look more of a "advanced" beginner hahha!!

those threads that kanaka put are pretty good resources. I'm such a noob to theory that some of what people are posting seems like rocket science!!!

but anyways PRACTICE PRACTICE and MORE PRACTICE and a little patience when reading the theory stuff!!

I think going back to theory is the best way to go about this. Knowing the schematics and knowing where the notes are on the fingerboard. At the moment i'm learning the pentatonic scales. I was so happy when someone was strumming c chord progressions and I was able to do a pentatonic C scale with them...It sounded really cool even though it wasn't "lead uke" per se! it still made me look more of a "advanced" beginner hahha!!

those threads that kanaka put are pretty good resources. I'm such a noob to theory that some of what people are posting seems like rocket science!!!

but anyways PRACTICE PRACTICE and MORE PRACTICE and a little patience when reading the theory stuff!!

I wholeheartedly agree!!! I just started learning music theory and I can't describe how helpful it is. In addition to reading books, I have an instructor who explains stuff to me which helps a lot. I would suggest both.

I just experiment all the time. just messing around with the uke can be a great time to just make up songs. I find it easier though, if you have the chord progression already made up, so you just experiment and find a picking routine that you like and do that with the chord progression.

Hi, I have just posted some picking patterns I made up the other day under the Techniques section of the Forum. Hope it helps.

Top Bottom