A New Can of Worms: Which New Uke?

Karasu

Acute UAS Patient
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, gift-season is coming; what a perfect time for a severe case of UAS to strike! I've only been playing Uke for about 3 weeks, but I am totally hooked. My starter instrument is a Kala KA-TEM, Aquila strings, Uke Leash. I've noticed that, once in a while, I'll have minor reach issues (due to uneducated/unstretched hand muscles, no doubt) such as getting the E string fretted on the 8th fret (third finger) with the A string at the 5th fret (first finger). Seems short, doesn't it? My problem is that the A tends to be muted by the 3rd finger on the E. I'm sure this will sort itself out with practice and stretching and spiders and.......but I digress.

I suspect that the killer present I could receive this year would be an excellent solid-wood Uke that will last me a while. I may want to try out a Concert size...I'm not sure. My hands are size 7.5 glove size, so about average. I expect my reach issues to resolve. Would there be benefit to going to a Concert size (and with the smaller size, would the same price get me a significantly better Concert than Tenor?)? I think I'd like to stay with the scale available on Concert or Tenor. By no means do I expect my UAS to end there, so the new Uke doesn't have to break the bank. However, and here comes the can opener.....

I'm thinking that the Uke will need to be in the $500 to MAYBE $600 range. I'm interested in all of your suggestions for make and model. Whatever I wind up chosing will very likely come from HMS, from which my Kala originated.

Thanks SOOO much. I know this has been done to death, but I'm just getting started..........

K

If you're buying from HMS definately look at the Pono's, but I agree with Ukeeku check with Mim as well.

I think you'd enjoy a concert size.

Huh, interesting, there's not much (at HMS anyway) in concert size in the $500-600 range. If I was looking there though, I think I'd pick this and add the nice Oahu hard case:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mcd-mahogany-concert-deluxe.html
or this
http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-acd-acaciagloss-concert.html

Though from the video at least, I personally like the sound of the mahogany better. I have the Pono mahogany soprano and my BF has the mahogany bari, and they both sound great in real life.

Pono, pono. pono, pono, pono (is that ten letters, yet?)

Pono, pono. pono, pono, pono (is that ten letters, yet?)

Um...I'm gettin' the feeling...............I'm sensing.................

Pono.

I've looked through the various models, and I'm also now thinking it comes down to size. I know this is a personal option. I tend to gravitate toward fingerpicking, and I have a deep interest in classical and lute music. Perhaps I should stick with the Tenor size and learn to stretch, in order to take advantage of the greater scale on the T?

Top Bottom