PDA

View Full Version : strumming position

wallyboy
12-03-2012, 06:30 AM
i have been strumming at bottom of neck of uke, i have found it easier for when i mute, my finger doesn't tap base of uke, is this bad pratice,

Manalishi
12-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Depending on the size of your uke,where the
neck meets the body is usually the 'sweet
spot' (as on a soprano) as it is the middle of
the string (roughly) and therefore is exactly
where the string will ring out at its best.
I play all of mine,soprano,concert and
Tenor at the twelfth fret,which is where the
neck joins the body on my sopranos.

wallyboy
12-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Depending on the size of your uke,where the
neck meets the body is usually the 'sweet
spot' (as on a soprano) as it is the middle of
the string (roughly) and therefore is exactly
where the string will ring out at its best.
I play all of mine,soprano,concert and
Tenor at the twelfth fret,which is where the
neck joins the body on my sopranos.

thanks timebug, that is a sigh of relief, i have a soprano.......... and a concert coming for xmas,
atb wallyboy

Wicked
12-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Not to be a contrarian, but the “you should always strum the strings at point x” thing is another one of those ukulele chestnuts that gets my Irish up….

Without getting into an entire discussion of nodes and the physics of vibrating strings, suffice it to say that you will get a variety of timbres by strumming at different points along the length of the string. Strumming at the 12th fret will give you a tone with few or no harmonics…. But that does not mean it is better or worse than playing elsewhere. In fact, it can actually be considered a bit dull, at times.

Play where it is comfortable and where you get the sound that you want…. And there is nothing wrong with varying where you play.

Newportlocal
12-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I have heard a lot of sweet spot comments lately. I even briefly adjusted my strumming up the neck. Now, most of my strumming is by the sound hole or where the body meets the neck. Honestly, after reading this topic again I went back and started watching videos of my hero. If I can make my technique the closest humanly possible to Sungha Jung. It works for me.

wallyboy
12-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Not to be a contrarian, but the “you should always strum the strings at point x” thing is another one of those ukulele chestnuts that gets my Irish up….

Without getting into an entire discussion of nodes and the physics of vibrating strings, suffice it to say that you will get a variety of timbres by strumming at different points along the length of the string. Strumming at the 12th fret will give you a tone with few or no harmonics…. But that does not mean it is better or worse than playing elsewhere. In fact, it can actually be considered a bit dull, at times.

Play where it is comfortable and where you get the sound that you want…. And there is nothing wrong with varying where you play.
yes the sound is different, must say if i am not doing a mute i play near sound hole,

I have heard a lot of sweet spot comments lately. I even briefly adjusted my strumming up the neck. Now, most of my strumming is by the sound hole or where the body meets the neck. Honestly, after reading this topic again I went back and started watching videos of my hero. If I can make my technique the closest humanly possible to Sungha Jung. It works for me.
being new to uke its still a learning curve, the vids i have seen of the top players they use whatever they need to create there magic

Newportlocal
12-03-2012, 11:08 AM
being new to uke its still a learning curve, the vids i have seen of the top players they use whatever they need to create there magic

Seems to me Jake and Sungha are hitting the same spot most of the time. I agree people shouldn't worry about a hard and fast rule on this. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself and play a lot.

wallyboy
12-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Seems to me Jake and Sungha are hitting the same spot most of the time. I agree people shouldn't worry about a hard and fast rule on this. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself and play a lot.

i really have taken to the uke i cant put it down, didnt think such a little thing would have such a big impact,
atb wallyboy

Newportlocal
12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
i really have taken to the uke i cant put it down, didnt think such a little thing would have such a big impact,
atb wallyboy

Yes. Very addicting. You tube and many sites have great info. Obviously,here at UU. I always want to learn more and be teachable. Anyway this is a good set of videos for you if you haven't already stumbled on it.
http://ukuleleunderground.com/video-library/

Manalishi
12-03-2012, 11:16 PM
I agree with all the comments posted before this!
My point was,that as wallyboy appears to be a
newbie,or relative newbie,I was simply passing on
the 'received wisdom' that is given to most new
players.
I have seen newbies at our local club,strum close
to the bridge,which gives a harsh staccato sound
that may well suit certain songs/tunes but which
would be 'wrong' for others.I should have qualified
my answer with the universal truth 'play it in the
position that suits YOU the best!'
It's all good fun and hopefully,good music!

wallyboy
12-04-2012, 06:23 AM
Yes. Very addicting. You tube and many sites have great info. Obviously,here at UU. I always want to learn more and be teachable. Anyway this is a good set of videos for you if you haven't already stumbled on it.
http://ukuleleunderground.com/video-library/
thanks newportlocal for link will have a look at videos, up for learning any new stuff, looking forward to join local club in the new year,
atb wallyboy

I agree with all the comments posted before this!
My point was,that as wallyboy appears to be a
newbie,or relative newbie,I was simply passing on
the 'received wisdom' that is given to most new
players.
I have seen newbies at our local club,strum close
to the bridge,which gives a harsh staccato sound
that may well suit certain songs/tunes but which
would be 'wrong' for others.I should have qualified
my answer with the universal truth 'play it in the
position that suits YOU the best!'
It's all good fun and hopefully,good music!
good fun indeed, thanks timebug
atb wallyboy