PDA

View Full Version : new uke

georgeriley
12-03-2012, 06:34 AM
ive just got a new uke its fitted with Aquila strings but they just dont sound right by this i mean out of tune i have tuned it using a Eno ET30 tuner is this normal?

ukemunga
12-03-2012, 06:55 AM
New strings go out of tune in minutes until they stretch out and "settle in." Just keep retuning and retuning and retuning...

Generally takes a few days.

georgeriley
12-03-2012, 07:32 AM
ok thankyou;)

OldePhart
12-03-2012, 01:02 PM
I used to stretch the strings but a couple of very knowledgeable folks whom I respect claim that sometimes can make them intonate poorly. I'd never really experienced that but I could understand how it might happen...

So, I've changed my technique now. Now, I will change strings and tune them all a full step above the desired tuning (i.e. tuning to D instead of C). I keep retuning frequently as I am doing other stuff (normally I work from home so it's no big deal to take a few minutes to tune up a uke every half hour or so). Just before bed I'll tune it up a step high again. Usually, by the next morning it has stretched in to the point where it will hold it's tuning at the "correct" tuning for a while and the uke is beyond that "play a song, tune, play a song, tune" point.

John

jglover
12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
That's a terrific idea about tuning up. I've seen video of techs stretching out strings but I just never could bring myself to do that, always afraid I'd pop a string or rip it out from the bridge. Tuning it up is an excellent solution!