what do I want for xmas?

cyneller

Reaction score
I want a tenor, and I only have two choices: Oscar Schmidt spalted mango, or Oscar Schmidt koa. Obviously I can tell what they look like, but I'm wondering if any one has any wisdom on which wood gives the better sound.

Why those two?
Mango is bright while the Koa is more mellow, usually. With OS ukes you have to play them, and it depends on the sound you like

I'm just guessing here - but if they're Oscar Schmidt ukes with those woods they are most likely laminates - get the one that you find most attractive; the sounds are probably about the same. (There's NOTHING wrong with laminates!)

Welcome to UU. Which gives a "better" sound. Hmm. Isn't that a tad like saying, "M&Ms and Milky Way...which is more sweet?"

Can you answer that?

If you give us more specifics, we can be more helpful. Ukeeku and BBcryts, have given you, in answer below, the gist of the difference, though.

I'm just guessing here - but if they're Oscar Schmidt ukes with those woods they are most likely laminates - get the one that you find most attractive; the sounds are probably about the same. (There's NOTHING wrong with laminates!)
I have to agree. With laminates there won't be much of a sound difference like if the top were solid wood.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I had an Oscar Schmidt 8-string tenor and really liked the tone, but wanted a 4-string; I have to trade in for either the koa or the spalted mango. Leaning toward the mango just because I like the look of exotic woods, and if it's going to sound about the same, I'm sold! Thanks again.

Top Bottom