PDA

View Full Version : Flat head or Slot head?

etf
12-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Your views please on what you prefer and why? Is it just the aesthetics, the sound, the tuner choice etc?
Would be great to hear from people with both to see which they tend to go for first when they pick up and play.

ETF :cool:

Kanaka916
12-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Mostly aesthetics, and really comes down to personal choice. I usually jump on my 8 string whenever I start playing.

Lalz
12-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I like flat headstocks with friction tuners best. They're more unique to the ukulele than geared tuners or slotted heads, and they look MINT :rock:

coolkayaker1
12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv2O-PfdFWU

gnordenstam
12-03-2012, 10:53 AM
I thought it was going to be a thread about screwdrivers!

mds725
12-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Mostly aesthetics, and really comes down to personal choice. I usually jump on my 8 string whenever I start playing.

Those of us who don't know what kind of headstock your 8-string has probably don't know what to make of your answer. :)

Lalz
12-03-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv2O-PfdFWU

Wow, someone likes shoes over there! ;)

coolkayaker1
12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I thought it was going to be a thread about screwdrivers!

No, here's the thread about screwdrivers.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?63930-A-screw-with-both-Phillips-and-Slot-Heads-which-driver

soupking
12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I really do not understand the appeal of slot heads on ukuleles. Not knocking anyone who likes them, though, as we all have our preferences. I just think they look gigantic and wrong on MOST ukuleles, with some exceptions; namely some of the fancier high-end stuff (Moore Bettahs and the older Maui Music single slot headstocks come to mind). I own ten and not one has a slotted headstock.

coolkayaker1
12-03-2012, 01:51 PM
I own ten and not one has a slotted headstock.

I'm sorry to hear that, soup.

laundromatt
12-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Your views please on what you prefer and why? Is it just the aesthetics, the sound, the tuner choice etc?
Would be great to hear from people with both to see which they tend to go for first when they pick up and play.

I've been going back and forth on getting a slotted head for my next ukulele, and, at least for me, it's purely an aesthetics choice. It can look great if done right - Jake's signature model comes to mind. However, I've seen a few where it makes the headstock look big and bulky, which I wouldn't want. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a standard headstock, but with open, geared tuners.

soupking
12-03-2012, 02:27 PM
I really do not understand the appeal of slot heads on ukuleles. Not knocking anyone who likes them, though, as we all have our preferences. I just think they look gigantic and wrong on MOST ukuleles, with some exceptions; namely some of the fancier high-end stuff (Moore Bettahs and the older Maui Music single slot headstocks come to mind). I own ten and not one has a slotted headstock.

I'm sorry to hear that, soup.

Haha, don't cry for me, cool. I'm quite happy with my lineup.

bazmaz
12-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Love slot heads, but only really on tenors - agree with Soup - look to big on anything else.

And it is just aesthetics - no way they affect sound.

BlueLatitude
12-04-2012, 03:56 AM
My banjo uke has a very dainty slotted headstock.

BIGDB
12-04-2012, 04:34 AM
I personally think the slotted head stock looks awesome and I think it's easier to put new strings on with slotted. Put it all comes down to personal preference

Kem
12-04-2012, 04:40 AM
I have a Willie Wixom slot-head concert, and I don't think the headstock looks too big. It is, unfortunately, too big to fit in a lot of concert cases, but it LOOKS kind of awesome. That said, I also like my flat-head instruments.

didgeridoo2
12-04-2012, 05:43 AM
Love slot heads, but only really on tenors - agree with Soup - look to big on anything else.

And it is just aesthetics - no way they affect sound.
I've heard that the break angle of the strings on a slot head can affect tone, but its negligible.

coolkayaker1
12-04-2012, 05:45 AM
I've heard that the break angle of the strings on a slot head can affect tone, but its negligible.

gordon mya moe speaks of it on the video i linked below

didgeridoo2
12-04-2012, 06:50 AM
gordon mya moe speaks of it on the video i linked below

Yup. I remember speaking with him about it when I configured my reso tenor a couple years ago. I decided to save my money. Although I like the tuners they use on them these days and have been considering it with my upcoming tenor. Probably still sticking with the pegheds.

oxkit
12-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Personally, I think slot-heads look tip-top. I bought myself my first proper uke last week and went for a slot head tenor, it seems really well proportioned to my eye (on a Kala asac). The headstock's the bit of the uke my eye is always drawn to, and it's pretty handy for tying a strap to.

Really can't comment on whether it adds to the tone or sustain, having not played many different ukes.

luluwrites
12-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Flat. I have no reason for this other than personal taste. It looks better to me.

bazmaz
12-04-2012, 07:24 AM
But then I see a headstock like this and drool - 46063

(It's a new one of mine!)

oxkit
12-04-2012, 07:29 AM

Snap! That's wot I done got, too.

ukemunga
12-04-2012, 09:47 AM
A friend of mine who is a hard driving strummer has a problem with the a string popping out of the nut slot. Claims next uke will have a slotted headstock to help prevent this problem. Makes sense to me.

coolkayaker1
12-04-2012, 09:49 AM
A friend of mine who is a hard driving strummer has a problem with the a string popping out of the nut slot. Claims next uke will have a slotted headstock to help prevent this problem. Makes sense to me.

And none to me. HOw does what occurs above the nut at the head help keep a string on the nut? The break angle isn;t likely to make much difference, is it? I'm asking, I don;t know.

BlackBearUkes
12-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Simply get a new nut made with a deeper slot. Neck angle doesn't have much to do with it unless there is no neck angle, in which case, you can still get a new nut made.

ukemunga
12-04-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't know... perhaps it's more of a straight shot to the peg and by the very nature of the break angle a by-default deeper nut slot. Like I said I don't know...

GKK
12-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Slot Heads if done well, look Great!...

coolkayaker1
12-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Slot Heads if done well, look Great!...

Pono does gorgeous slotted heads.

Lalz
12-04-2012, 02:54 PM

And just like that, you got me into slotted headstocks :) Nice one!

RedRamen
12-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Slot heads are so sexy looking... But, at least in the guitar world, they seem to break more easily...

we tigers
12-05-2012, 06:51 AM
I don't really care that much for the slotted headstock. My favourite is the flathead with friction tuners or pegheds.

etf
12-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Thank you all for your views. As with most there is an underlying agenda to my question. My Mya Moe is on the build sheet but sadly not till June. So I have a way to go before setting my Tenor set up in stone. Been thinking wether or not to change to a slot head. Think I will stay with my original flat head. However, now I'm thinking wether or not to stick with geared machine heads or change to geared peg head tuners lol?
Recon it's an email to Gordon to ask advice. I know in his video he suggests machine heads if going for an ukulele fitted with a pickup due to balance. However, been looking at previous builds and many who have gone with a K&K pickup have opted for peg heads.
Got to have something to keep me going till my build starts lol.