Flat head or Slot head?

etf

Reaction score
Your views please on what you prefer and why? Is it just the aesthetics, the sound, the tuner choice etc?
Would be great to hear from people with both to see which they tend to go for first when they pick up and play.

ETF :cool:

Mostly aesthetics, and really comes down to personal choice. I usually jump on my 8 string whenever I start playing.

I thought it was going to be a thread about screwdrivers!

Mostly aesthetics, and really comes down to personal choice. I usually jump on my 8 string whenever I start playing.

Those of us who don't know what kind of headstock your 8-string has probably don't know what to make of your answer. :)

I really do not understand the appeal of slot heads on ukuleles. Not knocking anyone who likes them, though, as we all have our preferences. I just think they look gigantic and wrong on MOST ukuleles, with some exceptions; namely some of the fancier high-end stuff (Moore Bettahs and the older Maui Music single slot headstocks come to mind). I own ten and not one has a slotted headstock.

Your views please on what you prefer and why? Is it just the aesthetics, the sound, the tuner choice etc?
Would be great to hear from people with both to see which they tend to go for first when they pick up and play.

ETF :cool:

I've been going back and forth on getting a slotted head for my next ukulele, and, at least for me, it's purely an aesthetics choice. It can look great if done right - Jake's signature model comes to mind. However, I've seen a few where it makes the headstock look big and bulky, which I wouldn't want. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a standard headstock, but with open, geared tuners.

I really do not understand the appeal of slot heads on ukuleles. Not knocking anyone who likes them, though, as we all have our preferences. I just think they look gigantic and wrong on MOST ukuleles, with some exceptions; namely some of the fancier high-end stuff (Moore Bettahs and the older Maui Music single slot headstocks come to mind). I own ten and not one has a slotted headstock.

I'm sorry to hear that, soup.

Haha, don't cry for me, cool. I'm quite happy with my lineup.

Love slot heads, but only really on tenors - agree with Soup - look to big on anything else.

And it is just aesthetics - no way they affect sound.

Love slot heads, but only really on tenors - agree with Soup - look to big on anything else.

And it is just aesthetics - no way they affect sound.
I've heard that the break angle of the strings on a slot head can affect tone, but its negligible.

gordon mya moe speaks of it on the video i linked below

Yup. I remember speaking with him about it when I configured my reso tenor a couple years ago. I decided to save my money. Although I like the tuners they use on them these days and have been considering it with my upcoming tenor. Probably still sticking with the pegheds.

Personally, I think slot-heads look tip-top. I bought myself my first proper uke last week and went for a slot head tenor, it seems really well proportioned to my eye (on a Kala asac). The headstock's the bit of the uke my eye is always drawn to, and it's pretty handy for tying a strap to.

Really can't comment on whether it adds to the tone or sustain, having not played many different ukes.

Top Bottom