Mack The Knife (Uke & Baritone Saxophone)

The Ukelites

Reaction score
Today we recorded "Mack the Knife" or "The Ballad of Mack the Knife" in the original german version "Die Moritat von Mackie Messer", a song composed by Kurt Weill with lyrics by Bertolt Brecht for their music drama Die Dreigroschenoper, or, as it is known in English, The Threepenny Opera. It premiered in Berlin in 1928 at the Theater am Schiffbauerdamm. The song has become a popular standard.

It was a bit tricky doing this without multi tracking, because even blown pianissimo a bari sax is quite loud compared to a uke. Therefore we muted the sax with a towel and Steffen was standing some meters away (so he could't hardly here the uke while blowing). But we hope it's fun anyway.

Wow! Great job as always guys. Loved the sax!

I've always loved sax (mostly the tenor). Several years ago I bought a tenor sax and attempted to learn to play it. THe best I was able to accomplishe was very loud sounds like an elephant with a distressing case of flatulence! I finally gave it to a college kid who could actually get musical sounds from it. :)

John

Wieder mal sehr gut!

Today we recorded "Mack the Knife" or "The Ballad of Mack the Knife" in the original german version "Die Moritat von Mackie Messer", a song composed by Kurt Weill with lyrics by Bertolt Brecht for their music drama Die Dreigroschenoper, or, as it is known in English, The Threepenny Opera. It premiered in Berlin in 1928 at the Theater am Schiffbauerdamm. The song has become a popular standard.

Wunderbar! It's so interesting to hear you sing in German---I'm glad you had the opportunity to sing this famous crime song for Seasons. Great, great, great!

As always, wonderful. Loved the sax. Funny, it is such a familiar tune it took me about 40 seconds into the song to realize you were singing in German.

sehr schön!

I've always loved sax (mostly the tenor). Several years ago I bought a tenor sax and attempted to learn to play it. THe best I was able to accomplishe was very loud sounds like an elephant with a distressing case of flatulence! I finally gave it to a college kid who could actually get musical sounds from it. :)

John

:biglaugh:
Steffen also plays Alto, C Melody and sometimes Tenor. They all are loud, the bari is good for rhythm patterns

Wunderbar! It's so interesting to hear you sing in German---I'm glad you had the opportunity to sing this famous crime song for Seasons. Great, great, great!

Thank you very much. We should mention that the contest has moved into a subsection of the contest!:)

As always, wonderful. Loved the sax. Funny, it is such a familiar tune it took me about 40 seconds into the song to realize you were singing in German.

Funny, the English version is very popular, I guess the first time I listed to this song was an english rendition.

Just when I thought you've reached the peak, you come up with this! totally awsome guys. Really liked hearing you sing in your native tongue. Could you put the chords up please?

Just when I thought you've reached the peak, you come up with this! totally awsome guys. Really liked hearing you sing in your native tongue. Could you put the chords up please?

Thanks Leroy, the chords are easy: All the verses are the same, this is the first one:
Have fun with it: :D
Und der
(Bb6) Haifisch, der hat (Cm7) Zähne und die (Cm) trägt er (F7) im Ge- (Bb6)sicht
und Mac
(Bb6) Heath der (Gm) hat ein (Cm7) Messer doch das (F7) Messer sieht man (Bb6) nicht.

Last edited:

John

I don't usually reply to my own messages but this is an approximation of what I was able to achieve on tenor sax...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8

John

Top Bottom