Salvarez Ukulele Strings?

T

tomthebaptist

I'm experimenting with strings. Any of you ever installed Salvarez Alliance Ukulele Strings on your uke? If, so how did they sound and feel? Where did you get them?

Thanks,

Tom

I'm experimenting with strings. Any of you ever installed Salvarez Alliance Ukulele Strings on your uke? If, so how did they sound and feel? Where did you get them?

Thanks,

Tom

I did try the Savarez Ukulele strings but no LowG and a little bit to soft tension for me you can get the uke strings at just strings.com

I use Savarez 520R classical guitar strings on my Compass Rose and Mya Moe tenors they both sound great..i am an all out string junkie..

you can get them at any guitar store..or elderly.com

the ones i use are high tension..which i like..the Alliance might be to much tension if you get the 540 ones..
i use the top 4 strings..and the D string for LowG..they have very good sustain and volume..with a mello/deeper sound..and softer than most other strings

Last edited:
I did try the Savarez Ukulele strings but no LowG and a little bit to soft tension for me you can get the uke strings at just strings.com

I use Savarez 520R classical guitar strings on my Compass Rose and Mya Moe tenors they both sound great..i am an all out string junkie..

you can get them at any guitar store..or elderly.com

the ones i use are high tension..which i like..the Alliance might be to much tension if you get the 540 ones..
i use the top 4 strings..and the D string for LowG..they have very good sustain and volume..with a mello/deeper sound..and softer than most other strings

You keep talking about these. I will definitely be trying a set.

My string of choice, played them for the past two years and used to get the guitar strings and build my own sets, with the Savarez Reds, but now they have UKE Sets and they are very good. Strings by Mail is where I get mine, cheaper than some other online sites when I have checked. The 520's were great but now with the uke sets, I just get those. Same exact material as I spoke with the Savarez rep in France...who sent me a bunch of sample sets.
I have a lot of posts and others have had discussions on Savarez which you can search for.

They are one of my favorite string sets, up there with PhD's and Living Waters. I use Savarez Strings on my custom concert you can listen to hear to see how they sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGX7gtJ632Q

Thanks,

Tom

I use Savarez Alliance 540R (Standard tension) classical guitar strings on my tenor. Except for the (low) G string, which is a D'Addario Pro-Arte D Light Silverplated Copper Wound J4304. I buy them as single strings from JustStrings.com. I usually a half dozen of each at a time.

I use Savarez Alliance 540R (Standard tension) classical guitar strings on my tenor. Except for the (low) G string, which is a D'Addario Pro-Arte D Light Silverplated Copper Wound J4304. I buy them as single strings from JustStrings.com. I usually a half dozen of each at a time.

I use these, also. I have recently used the Savarez Corum strings for my low G, but I can see using the D'Addario also. I like them just a little more than the worth strings in similar dimensions.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. How would you make a uke set from Salvarez Alliance 540R using reentrant tuning? By the way, I use Salvarez Alliance 540R on my classical and love them

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. How would you make a uke set from Salvarez Alliance 540R using reentrant tuning? By the way, I use Salvarez Alliance 540R on my classical and love them

I use a guitar E string (541R) for the A, B string (542R) for the E, and G string (543R)for the C. I don't know if the E or B string would work better for a high G. I'd probably try the E string first.

I use a guitar E string (541R) for the A, B string (542R) for the E, and G string (543R)for the C. I don't know if the E or B string would work better for a high G. I'd probably try the E string first.

Thanks, Uke4. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

tom

Savarez Aliance are my favorite strings. I have them on five of my ukes. As uke4ia said before me, I use the 541,542,and 543 for the A,E, and C strings. For reentrant I use their KF 57 for the G string. For low G, I have used their Corum which is a polished wound string. Chuck Moore turned me onto these. Unfortunately Savarez has discontinued the Corum strings. At the suggestion of Matt from Strings By Mail, I purchased Savarez' Cantiga polished wound strings, 514 RH, which I believe has replaced the Corum. But I have yet to try them, so I can't vouch for them yet.

Savarez Aliance are my favorite strings. I have them on five of my ukes. As uke4ia said before me, I use the 541,542,and 543 for the A,E, and C strings. For reentrant I use their KF 57 for the G string. For low G, I have used their Corum which is a polished wound string. Chuck Moore turned me onto these. Unfortunately Savarez has discontinued the Corum strings. At the suggestion of Matt from Strings By Mail, I purchased Savarez' Cantiga polished wound strings, 514 RH, which I believe has replaced the Corum. But I have yet to try them, so I can't vouch for them yet.

Thanks for the info Dana. I'm going to give this set a try on my Sideways8. The Aquila strings on it now, sound just a little dull and a bit 'thunky' on the c-string.

I haven't been using the 541, 542 and 543 series strings. I've been using the Alliance KF series and been happy with them. This is how I've ordered them for both concert and tenor ukes. I like them just a little more than worth fluoros. And I like worth very much.

Here's what I've been using and because I'm lazy, I will list strings #1 through #4 in a row separated by a comma:

Concert high g. KF55, KF66, KF74, KF57
Concert low g. KF55, KF66, KF74, D'Addario NYL026W
Tenor high g. KF57, KF66, KF74, KF62
Tenor low g. KF57, KF66, KF74, Corum 504R

Dana got me into the Savarez but I have since moved to the Southcoast double wound for low g and Medium Heavy for the reentrant.

I haven't been using the 541, 542 and 543 series strings. I've been using the Alliance KF series and been happy with them. This is how I've ordered them for both concert and tenor ukes. I like them just a little more than worth fluoros. And I like worth very much.

Here's what I've been using and because I'm lazy, I will list strings #1 through #4 in a row separated by a comma:

Concert high g. KF55, KF66, KF74, KF57
Concert low g. KF55, KF66, KF74, D'Addario NYL026W
Tenor high g. KF57, KF66, KF74, KF62
Tenor low g. KF57, KF66, KF74, Corum 504R

I broke a set of Alliance Classical guitar strings and made my ukulele set. I don't know the number association for each string, but used:

First E for A
Third G for E
Fourth wound D for C
Second B for G

I like the results. There isn't much of a choice of uke strings to choose from in Greenville, SC. I'm hesitant to order online in that my credit card number was recently hacked and a substantial amount of fraudulent charges were charged to my account. Fortunately, the bank reversed all the charges, and issued me a new charge card. However, it was a real
hassle. (That's another story).

I guess my question would be: Does Salvarez pretty much use the same gauge of their classical guitar strings for their tenor ukulele strings?

tom,

I use a 541J for the g and 541,2 and 3 Rs for the others for reentrant tenor.

I've never used the savarez uke strings. I just pick and choose the classical guitar strings based on their diameters.

Top Bottom