New to banjos, ukuleles, banjoleles, etc, but I have an old one that needs work

Mrbell321

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
This may be the wrong forum. If so, let me know or move it or whatever it is you do. Thanks, and sorry for being in the wrong place!
Anyway, I was hoping you could point me in the right direction. My grandfather passed away in 1979 and among his belongings was a banjo ukelele. It has been in my parents attic since then. It appears to be the same type as this one:
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-1272.htm
Although, the sticker is missing and, overall, mine seems rougher(frets are rough and heavily worn, some fret markers are missing, paint is chipped, resonator back panel is delaminating, tuners don't hold and the plastic is deteriorating, chrome is pitted), but the head seems in good shape and is probably original. Its strung w/ steel strings and the body and neck seem solid, if a bit dry. The neck looks like it could be tightened down.

I've never played a banjo or ukelele(or banjolele), but I play and have built a electric bass guitar and can do setups on electric guitars and basses.
I don't have any intention of selling this instrument, and I would like to start playing it. However, if this is something rare, I don't want to "ruin" it as an artifact, by fixing it up.

My plans for fixing it are to disassemble it, pull the frets and tuners, sand, and repaint(or stain, I have this idea that black stain would look fantastic) all the wood. Perhaps try to polish the chrome head ring, but I'm worried that the head skin would be damaged by this process. New stewmac frets, Ping worm-gear tuners(I'm an engineer and friction tuners seem problematic to me, but I don't have any experience beyond this one, very old instrument) and new fret inlays. The white/cream binding around the body seems problematic to avoid damaging or to redo, but I think I can work it out.

So, are my plans a terrible mistake? Or should I just go ahead with it. I haven't had much luck beyond the one link above on finding anything like what i have.

Thanks,
Tyler

It appears exactly like the elderly one and I haven't had a chance to take a picture of mine yet. I probably won't have a chance to tonight either, but I'll try.

Thanks!

Cool octagonal body. I haven't seen one like that before. I can't find much info on la pacifica banjo ukes. Just that they date from the 30's or 40's. I can't tell if they are worth anything but sentimental value.
Its only original once though...fixing it to be playable isn't a problem but be sure you're willing to change it before you go further. You can probably replace the banjo skin if that's needed too, they're easy to find online. The binding is also replaceable. A knife and small chisel should take it right off and clean up the rabbet.

I could not find much about them either. I found that one on elderly, and there seems to be an artist that has hand painted a few, but nothing else.

I'd rather not replace the skin, if possible, so I guess my question is "is it possible to undo the skin and put it back in properly without ruining it?" and maybe not just "possible" but "reasonable"

A warning for Banjo uke players...

banjo.jpg

I'd rather not replace the skin, if possible, so I guess my question is "is it possible to undo the skin and put it back in properly without ruining it?" and maybe not just "possible" but "reasonable"

I don't have a really good answer to that question, but in Ukeeku's post on replacing an old banjo uke head it looks like some of the skin remained stuck to the instrument. Based on that, removing and reusing might be a dicey proposition. But it might not be if there's no adhesion. I just got a similarly-constructed new/old banjo uke and I'm wrestling with whether to take it off when the vellum seems to be in good shape. Either way, Ukeeku's post might be helpful. Good luck to you!

I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago. I inherited a banjo uke from my grandfather's estate that nobody had any idea what to do with. He had banged it around pretty badly, tightening up the steel strings so hard that it pulled the entire thing out of whack and replacing the friction tuners with some guitar tuners he'd trimmed down to fit. I considered a careful restoration and then figured that even in pristine condition this particular model wasn't ever going to be worth more than about $150, so it was more important to me to have a good playable instrument than a historically accurate relic that sounded like crap. I ended up having to use epoxy to repair some metal parts, replaced tuners, strings and bridge but managed to keep the original calfskin head. It ain't pretty but it at least plays in tune now, and I'm able to feel closer to my grandpa when I play it.

I get a very "Chicago"..."Regal" vibe from that banjo uke. The tension ring looks identical to round banjo ukes sold by Sears...so at least the Chicago connection is probably right.

Sorry... bit of a newbie here... are "chicago" and "regal" luthiers? Also... is "luthier" what you call a banjo or ukulele maker? I think that applies to any stringed instrument maker...

Oo... just found this

CR3J8.jpg

Your link was causing suspicion, so I went ahead and linked to the actual image. -seeso

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicago = the center of fretted instrument mass manufacturing in the US from the 1910s into the 1960s.

Regal = One of the major brands and manufacturers, though the history of all these Chicago companies is very convoluted http://www.jagshouse.com/music/regal.html
They made under their own name as well as other brand names. At one point they were owned by Lyon and Healy. Very complicated! Just don't ask about National and Dobro!

Last edited:
Interesting stuff! Thanks!

Yep, I've decided to restore it. I didn't figure it was worth much, but then, no one on antiques road show thinks so either and then they hack up a dresser once owned by Charlemagne or something.

So I'm going to order some stuff from stewmac. I think I'll go for a black and chrome theme:
GHS Black nylon strings
Geared tuners w/ black buttons
2ft of narrow fret wire
I think I'll sand it and see if it looks good enough to stain black, rather than paint.
I'm even tempted to do the binding in black.
That leaves the nut(which seems in good condition, but I may not be able to successfully stain around it) and the head in cream.

The resonator cap on the back is delaminating around the edges. Anyone have any advice on this? I thought I'd just inject some wood glue in and clamp in back together, but if there's a better way.

Also, the wood seems a bit dry. No cracks or anything, but I just moved in from N. E. Texas where it's pretty wet to Colorado, where it's pretty dry. Should I condition the wood before staining/painting?

One other thing, is there a setup guide around here?

I'm used to electric guitars and basses. The action on this banjolele is what I would consider way too high. I could shorten the bridge, but then I fear the break angle wouldn't be sufficient. Is it usually a matter setting the neck angle? And what would be a normal and how do you measure action on one of these?

Thanks again, everyone!

Top Bottom