PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Uke

The Big Kahuna
12-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Just wondering if anyone had considered completely filling a Uke with the small polystyrene balls, as well as ALL the space around it in the box/case.

bazmaz
12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Wouldn't do any harm

That said, if I received a uke like that I would be cursing the shipper for the mess it would create getting it all out!

Captain Simian
12-04-2012, 08:26 AM
I don't see how filling the body up like that would protect it. I've shipped a few acoustic guitars that only had a gig bag and basically encased them in bubble wrap. They showed up with no problem to the buyer.

Bill Mc
12-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Here is good info on how to pack a violin for shipment. Some of this pertains to shipping a ukulele. http://www.selectviolins.com/tabs/shipping_a_violin.html

itsme
12-04-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't see how filling the body up like that would protect it.
Same here.

The thing with packing peanuts is that they can shift/settle in shipment, leaving the instrument less protected. I'd go with crumpled up newspaper (and lots of it) because it will have a little "give" but still keep an instrument more centered in the box. Not to mention it's a lot less messy than unpacking a box full of peanuts.

wdonley
12-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Mike from Altered Tunings uke shop gave me a great suggestion. Put the peanuts in plastic bags. Keeps them from shifting, and contained. No mess....

Hippie Dribble
12-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Mike from Altered Tunings uke shop gave me a great suggestion. Put the peanuts in plastic bags. Keeps them from shifting, and contained. No mess....
EUREKA!!!!! They are such messy buggahs.....

davo17
12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Hey Big K,
i work for a place that ships everything you can imagine , if you are shipping something that is very fragile the bagged peanuts will help but the best option is to pack it into a close fitting box and than place that box inside another box with an inch or so of peanuts on all surfaces (newspaper works too) but the box within a box and some sort of material in between
not only cushions impact but protects better from puncture usually from the corner of other packages it is shipped with , if boxes are scarce take the uke or whatever it is and place it in its own bag first and tape around it then take the now bagged peanuts (small bags) and tape them to the contact points on all sides of the item so they cannot shift away from the important area's. and fill all voids with peanuts or paper. I am sure this is all way more than you need but i couldn't resist at least attempting to assist in my area of expertise thats usually pretty useless for anything else.
Good Luck, Davo