Spoon River Anthology

H

Hippie Dribble

American poet Edgar Lee Masters published an astonishing collection in 1915 and called it Spoon River Anthology, where former citizens of a small Midwestern town speak touchingly from the grave of the thwarted hopes and dreams of their lives. It's truly amazing; plaintive, deeply moving, angry, intense, raw and so confronting. It's had a huge impact on my life. Click here to get in as deep as your armpits.

Anyway, a few years back, songwriter Richard Buckner decided to retell some of the these characters' lives in song, on his 2000 album 'The Hill', which is still my favourite record ever.

As a tribute to both these writers I decided yesterday to record a few tales of my own from the Anthology.

Julia Miller

Ollie McGee

Thanks for listening gang.

I was impressed by these, Jon. Makes me want to dig a little deeper and check out Richard Buckner album and the anthology itself. Thanks for this 'discovery'

Killer as usual...bruddah eugene.....especially the second one...very powerful.... and the first one was was NO slacker too...burning the strings in tassie with your playing and voice bruddah

I was impressed by these, Jon. Makes me want to dig a little deeper and check out Richard Buckner album and the anthology itself. Thanks for this 'discovery'

no worries Michael, thanks for the comment mate. yes, Masters' collection is jaw-dropping, as is the Buckner record - in fact, all of his records, especially 'The Hill', 'Since' and his self titled one.

Splendid stuff, Jon - the settings are great, hadn't heard of that project before.... the a cappella was especially fine, both tracks are top notch....

cheers for watching and commenting brother. Looking forward to a clip from you soon I hope mate...

Killer as usual...bruddah eugene.....especially the second one...very powerful.... and the first one was was NO slacker too...burning the strings in tassie with your playing and voice bruddah

you're kind Stan, many thanks for chiming in Bruddah and your always encouraging words mate.

Top Bottom