PDA

View Full Version : New Ukulele for XMAS

rubber necker
12-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Want to buy a new ukulele for XMAS present 2000.00 to 2500.00 please help

jglover
12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
In that price range, anything you buy should be just fine as long it is from a reputable manufacturer or luthier. Pick what you like.........

Hippie Dribble
12-04-2012, 11:00 AM
set up a dart board! :old:

BIGDB
12-04-2012, 11:56 AM
It all depends on how long you can wait. If you dont want to wait long i would get a kanilea or kamala but if you can wait I personally would go with a DaSilva or a myamoe.

bbycrts
12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Need a LOT more information.

What size? What kind of playing? For you or someone else? Any ideas about how you want it to sound?

If you have that much to spend you'd be best served to find a luthier you can work with and commission a custom - but you're not going to get that by Christmas!

Steedy
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Merry Christmas! :D

Youkalaylee
12-04-2012, 01:41 PM
What currency? Surprised no one else has asked.

OldePhart
12-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Want to adopt me? :)

caukulele
12-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes, more information would be helpful...besides size, sound, tone etc...are you looking for a traditional Ukulele? Modern? What style? Wood Combo? How long are you willing to wait for a uke? With that kind of money you have endless possibilities.....

bluesuke
12-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Collings or Compass Rose or a Moore Bettah
Those would be my choices but I only play what I have built other then the Fluke I keep in my truck

Dan Uke
12-04-2012, 02:34 PM
are there any shops that carry high-end ukes where you live?

wolfchs
12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I'd get two, one for myself and one for the other person (if it's gift for someone else)... hehehe. one of which would be the #128 on here (http://wawixomukuleles.com/Models_For_Sale.php) :drool:

anthonyg
12-04-2012, 09:48 PM
New member. First post. Currency not stated.:confused:

We can all dream.

Anthony

cahaya
12-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Those would be my choices but I only play what I have built other then the Fluke I keep in my truck

Visited your Facebook, I say, your uke looks beautiful. The tone is pretty good too. There is no reason why should you look else where ^^

rubber necker
12-05-2012, 08:13 AM

I hear that Mya Moe ukuleles are the best?

000Kanaka000
12-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Best is qualitative --- it depends on what type of sound - what type of music you will be playing
and what sounds best to you. What one thinks is best another may not be impressed with at all.
It has to be the one that really moves you. It has to be the one you *connect* with. You may
find that if you are doing many types of music then there might be a few different ukes that
will move you.

Plainsong
12-05-2012, 09:06 AM
See, here's the problem. Once you get up to the level of the Hawaiian factory ukes, or ukes built in such a way that someone gave a damn about build quality, tone, intonation, playability, made to last, etc., etc.,... THERE REALLY IS NO BEST.

Once you're past that level, it's just what's best _for you_. It's about the very specific tonal requirements, feel, looks... that's what custom gives you - exactly what YOU want.

It's not about throwing a ton of money to say you have "the best" because you won't. You'll have the best ....for you.

There is no best. They're all at a very high level at this price point, so it's all about your preferences. Mya Moe is very good. It's not better than X, Y, or Z at this price.... unless that's what YOU want.

rubber necker
12-05-2012, 02:27 PM
See, here's the problem. Once you get up to the level of the Hawaiian factory ukes, or ukes built in such a way that someone gave a damn about build quality, tone, intonation, playability, made to last, etc., etc.,... THERE REALLY IS NO BEST.

Once you're past that level, it's just what's best _for you_. It's about the very specific tonal requirements, feel, looks... that's what custom gives you - exactly what YOU want.

It's not about throwing a ton of money to say you have "the best" because you won't. You'll have the best ....for you.

There is no best. They're all at a very high level at this price point, so it's all about your preferences. Mya Moe is very good. It's not better than X, Y, or Z at this price.... unless that's what YOU want.

Thank you for the information

i am buying a new ukulele for my 30 year old son he is a pretty good player and is friends with Kamaka ukulele co.

he has 4 Kamaka ukuleles and 1 Schoenenbrand ukulele from Hawaii we live in Las Vegas, so i am not buying for me. everyone i talk to say Myamoe the best

jglover
12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Unless you are buying used, you'll not have a new Mya Moe by Christmas. Their current completion date is mid 2013 for a custom build.

bluesuke
12-05-2012, 05:42 PM

It depends who you ask. I suggest play as many high end interments as you can get your hands on and make your choice

The Big Kahuna
12-05-2012, 07:16 PM
he has 4 Kamaka ukuleles and 1 Schoenenbrand ukulele

In that case, I'd have to say that your only course of action is to ask him what Ukulele he wants. Anyone owning the above collection will more than likely be very specific in their tastes.

To give you an example; I have a $ 1000 Kanile'a (nothing out of the ordinary on UU, a lot of members' collections make mine look like a chopping board). Let's say that my wife decided to buy me another $ 1000 Ukulele for xmas and picked up a 1000 Koaloha for me, based purely on the number of people recommending them. Aside from the fact that I'd not had chance to try it before purchase, there's also the fact that my wife probably wouldn't know that I hate the brand (you'll find there is probably more personal taste going into the choice of Ukulele than there is in choosing a partner, if you spend a little time reading posts on UU) and would be forced to do that "xmas present smile" you get to do when your grandmother buys you spiderman underpants.

And it's probably a bit too late to buy a Mya Moe if you want it for xmas.

mm stan
12-05-2012, 07:35 PM
It's Obvious you want a custom with that kind of money....I wouldn't rush yourself to buy, take your time and wait until the right one comes along...whether it's a new,
used or to be built one...500 more and a Moore Bettah or Devine, Anakoneke, William King, Pohaku, vintage Kawika(david hurd) etc are probally at the top of the uke chain...
Good Luck...ha ha and let me know what you are thinking of...you won't regret it.... one new builder I like, and many of my friends that come over say my Wixom sounds
the best and great resonation and substain...but it needed a set up first.. for under a thousand, because he is a new and upcoming builder...with your buying power I would
buy no less than a custom to me..

The Big Kahuna
12-05-2012, 07:40 PM
with your buying power I would buy no less than a custom to me..

Unless he's Italian.

Lalz
12-05-2012, 08:26 PM
In that case, I'd have to say that your only course of action is to ask him what Ukulele he wants. Anyone owning the above collection will more than likely be very specific in their tastes.

I totally agree. If you're going to spend that much money and give the uke to someone who seems to already have experience with high-end ukes, the only way to go is to ask him what he wants. The idea with custom ukes is that you get exactly what you're looking for, so if you want to get your son the uke he will love, you'll have to ask him and involve him in the design and buying process, which I imagine is a huge part of the fun of getting a custom uke anyway. If I could afford a custom I'd want to be involved in its design every step of the way.

Plainsong
12-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Yeah, it's one of those things where it's the thought that counts. Unless you know of a way that you can talk about favorite uke-wants without him knowing. It's an amazingly sweet thought though.

rubber necker
12-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Unless you are buying used, you'll not have a new Mya Moe by Christmas. Their current completion date is mid 2013 for a custom build.

Thank you for the information i did not know i had to wait that long.are there any stores online that carry Myamoe ukuleles? i guess that their ukuleles must be the best as i have to wait 9 months?

i might have to ask him and see what ukulele he wants,i was trying to surprise him

i thought Myamoe was my best bet
Thanks

Kamanaaloha
12-06-2012, 10:16 AM
What you need to decide on is Custom/Semi custom in which you wait versus buying something out of someone's retail inventory. Do you have a preference in size? Tenor? Baritone? Concert? to give you an idea, If you order a semi-custom Kamaka it will take about 5 weeks, but it will be awesome. The other customs will take longer for sure, and I really do not think you can get a really high end custom for under $5000, imho (Devine, Hive, MooreBettah, etc.). But, you can get a semi-custom from the big "K" makers! Semi-Custom Koolau, Kanile'a, KoAloha, Kamaka...your choice!

If it were up to me, and I did not already own a regular one...I would buy a Curly Koa Long-Neck Tenor from Kamaka with an Ebony Nut and an Ebony Radiused Fingerboard and a slotted head...and if that exceeds your price then switch to Rosewood fingerboard and nut...or order a custom Koolau.

Skinny Money McGee
12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Mya Shmya,,, this uke is the best. Semi Custom Green w/gorgeous triple ring rosette, bridge is a hand carved Golden Bone Fish, custom filed nut and saddle to bring the action within exacting tolerances, and strung with fine Italian strings for that perfect tonal quality. It would take huge money to pry this out of my hands, but I could be persuaded.

Kamanaaloha
12-06-2012, 10:23 AM
So since your son has Kamakas...maybe a Koolau or Kanile'a You can do a custom order Koolau from HMS or inquire directly at Koolau, but up to you.

rubber necker
12-06-2012, 10:23 AM
What you need to decide on is Custom/Semi custom in which you wait versus buying something out of someone's retail inventory. Do you have a preference in size? Tenor? Baritone? Concert? to give you an idea, If you order a semi-custom Kamaka it will take about 5 weeks, but it will be awesome. The other customs will take longer for sure, and I really do not think you can get a really high end custom for under $5000, imho (Devine, Hive, MooreBettah, etc.). But, you can get a semi-custom from the big "K" makers! Semi-Custom Koolau, Kanile'a, KoAloha, Kamaka...your choice!

If it were up to me, and I did not already own a regular one...I would buy a Curly Koa Long-Neck Tenor from Kamaka with an Ebony Nut and an Ebony Radiused Fingerboard and a slotted head...and if that exceeds your price then switch to Rosewood fingerboard and nut...or order a custom Koolau.

Thank you

My son has 4 Kamaka ukuleles already,one is a Jake model that he got directly from Kamaka

i was trying to get him something different maybe Myamoe as these ukuleles have great reviews from their owners

but i might have to try something different i did not know the wait was so long

philpot
12-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Last time I inquired, they told me they don't do slotheads on their specials. I don't know if that's changed or not.

Kamanaaloha
12-06-2012, 10:26 AM

To give you an example; I have a $ 1000 Kanile'a (nothing out of the ordinary on UU, a lot of members' collections make mine look like a chopping board). Let's say that my wife decided to buy me another $ 1000 Ukulele for xmas and picked up a 1000 Koaloha for me, based purely on the number of people recommending them. Aside from the fact that I'd not had chance to try it before purchase, there's also the fact that my wife probably wouldn't know that I hate the brand (you'll find there is probably more personal taste going into the choice of Ukulele than there is in choosing a partner, if you spend a little time reading posts on UU) and would be forced to do that "xmas present smile" you get to do when your grandmother buys you spiderman underpants.

And it's probably a bit too late to buy a Mya Moe if you want it for xmas.

I agree with this...for that amount of Money you could get two really fine instruments...Kanile'a/Koolau or Kanile'a/KoAloha or KoAloha/Koolau

Kamanaaloha
12-06-2012, 10:51 AM
I have been researching ukulele builders.

aside from the ones I mentioned

Here are some custom makers, and I included the semi custom orderring samples from HMS for Koolau instruments as well as their Kanile'a stock on hand.

http://www.devineguitars.com/index.html
http://www.moorebettahukes.com/index.html
http://www.hiveukuleles.com/
http://www.collingsguitars.com/ukuleles.html
http://www.koaguitars.com/ukuleles-pricing.html
http://www.rickturnerguitars.com/
http://www.ukemaker.com/ukemaker.php
http://www.gstringukuleles.com/
http://koolauukulele.com/koolau/
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/ko-olau.html?dir=desc&limit=all&order=price
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ko-olau-tenor-deluxe.html
http://www.theukulelesite.com/koolau-t100-custom-options-upgrades.html
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kanilea.html

The Big Kahuna
12-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Mya Shmya,,, this uke is the best. Semi Custom Green w/gorgeous triple ring rosette, bridge is a hand carved Golden Bone Fish, custom filed nut and saddle to bring the action within exacting tolerances, and strung with fine Italian strings for that perfect tonal quality. It would take huge money to pry this out of my hands, but I could be persuaded.

Best post I've read on UU that wasn't one of mine :)

tigersister
12-06-2012, 11:10 AM
rubber necker, for your budget I agree with others about considering a custom ukulele. How about giving your son a card with a picture of a uke tucked in that acts as a coupon for a custom up to X amount and a songbook from one of his favorite musicians? That is what we did for our stepson when we gave him a guitar for his birthday. Although our budget was considerably less, so it wasn't for a custom. Your son is very lucky.

Part of the fun of getting a custom is picking out the builder, wood and adornments. There really is not a best custom maker. It really depends on what is tonally and aesthetically pleasing to an individual uke player. Most of the recommendations here are based on that person's preference and experience, and I say that as a Mya-Moe owner. I love my Mya-Moe, but I love it because it is what I wanted and I liked the tonal properties of other Mya-Moes I had heard before deciding on them to build mine. Each builder has an aesthetic and tonal property that is unique to them. Even with similar wood selection, the voice and look of say a Covered Bridge is going to differ from a Mya-Moe or a Compass Rose.

It sounds like he's been playing for a while, so I bet he's already got his preferences of luthiers.

cletus
12-06-2012, 11:17 AM
http://www.acousticvibesmusic.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_173&products_id=2003

:cheers:

rubber necker
12-06-2012, 11:17 AM
rubber necker, for your budget I agree with others about considering a custom ukulele. How about giving your son a card with a picture of a uke tucked in that acts as a coupon for a custom up to X amount and a songbook from one of his favorite musicians? That is what we did for our stepson when we gave him a guitar for his birthday. Although our budget was considerably less, so it wasn't for a custom. Your son is very lucky.

Part of the fun of getting a custom is picking out the builder, wood and adornments. There really is not a best custom maker. It really depends on what is tonally and aesthetically pleasing to an individual uke player. Most of the recommendations here are based on that person's preference and experience, and I say that as a Mya-Moe owner. I love my Mya-Moe, but I love it because it is what I wanted and I liked the tonal properties of other Mya-Moes I had heard before deciding on them to build mine. Each builder has an aesthetic and tonal property that is unique to them. Even with similar wood selection, the voice and look of say a Covered Bridge is going to differ from a Mya-Moe or a Compass Rose.

It sounds like he's been playing for a while, so I bet he's already got his preferences of luthiers.

Thank you very much for the advice

yes he is a pretty good player and i might see if we can put an order in for him on a custom ukulele as a Xmas gift

that way he can get want he wants it would be funny if it is a Myamoe

OldePhart
12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
... and would be forced to do that "xmas present smile" you get to do when your grandmother buys you spiderman underpants.

:agree: - Very well said. My wife and I agreed years ago not to get each other expensive presents for any occasion. We'll buy each other silly little cheap trinkets but face it, she is about as likely to know what instrument I'd really like to have as I am to know what jewelry she will love for it's own sake rather than just the sentimental value women tend to attach to things purchased by their mates. :)

Edit to add - here's an example of what I mean by cheap trinkets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwLGiB3L9Ck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwLGiB3L9Ck

JOhn

OldePhart
12-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Thank you

My son has 4 Kamaka ukuleles already,one is a Jake model that he got directly from Kamaka

i was trying to get him something different maybe Myamoe as these ukuleles have great reviews from their owners

but i might have to try something different i did not know the wait was so long

If your son already has four Kamakas including a Jake then he's obviously got a lot of experience and very clear ideas of what he likes - somebody recommended a "coupon" sort of thing where you basically say "pick out the uke of your choice up to $2500" (or whatever amount you were thinking). It still shows that you want to do something thoughtful and not just throw money at him without being bothered by knowing what matters to him, while also making sure that he gets to select something that really will be special to him.

And..again...want to adopt me? :biglaugh:

John

tigersister
12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Thank you very much for the advice

yes he is a pretty good player and i might see if we can put an order in for him on a custom ukulele as a Xmas gift

that way he can get want he wants it would be funny if it is a Myamoe

That would be pretty funny. If he does pick Mya-Moe, the folks there are wonderful to work with and care about every instrument they make. They were very patient with answering any questions I had and fulfilling requests for photos to help me with my decision on the binding. I got a chance to meet them at Uketoberfest a couple of months ago, and they were really happy to see one of their instruments being appreciated. Char played my concert for a little while and she said she could tell I'd been playing it a lot in the month and a half I had it, because she could hear that it was already starting to open up. Gordon pointed out another attendee who had one of my uke's bigger sisters; they came from the same piece of wood. I took a workshop given by Aaron and he took a look around to see what everyone was playing. It was really cool to hear about the history of some vintage ukes. He was able to tell all the MyaMoe owners, what work he had done on each instrument or not, because he was on tour when their instruments were being created. I was impressed they remember so much detail about each instrument.

Tootler
12-07-2012, 06:58 AM
ASK YOUR SON. No other course will do

At that level and given his current collection, he is likely to know exactly what be wants. Get it wrong and it's a total waste of a lot of money.

I like the 'gift card' idea. I've done that with my family in the past. It has worked well.

slackkey007
12-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Thank you for the information

i am buying a new ukulele for my 30 year old son he is a pretty good player and is friends with Kamaka ukulele co.

he has 4 Kamaka ukuleles and 1 Schoenenbrand ukulele from Hawaii we live in Las Vegas, so i am not buying for me. everyone i talk to say Myamoe the best

Ho! Your son has a lot of fine ukes already!!! Not to mention a Kamaka Jake and a Scheurenbrand uke!!! I would die for one of Bruddah Rollo's ukes! They start @ $4000.

Any one of these would make me extremely happy!

http://www.koaguitars.com/ukuleles.html

I agree with those who suggest that you ask your son which luthier that he wants his custom uke to be built by.

The Big Kahuna
12-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Ho! Your son has a lot of fine ukes already!!! Not to mention a Kamaka Jake and a Scheurenbrand uke!!! I would die for one of Bruddah Rollo's ukes! They start @ $4000.

I agree with those who suggest that you ask your son which luthier that he wants his custom uke to be built by.

Oh hell, I think something's happening in my trousers. Those are the most remarkable, but still almost bling-free, Ukes I've seen. And picture #13 is the only spruce topped Uke I've ever seen that I don't want to throw on a fire. The guitars are incredible too.

rubber necker
12-07-2012, 02:16 PM

THANK YOU..ukulele underground for your input and information

Turns out my son not a fan of Myamoe i spoke with his uncle and these are what he likes

Eric Devine,Chuck Moore,Compass Rose or another Scheurbrand custom ukuele..

He says the sound and quality of these ukuleles can not be beat and you have to play them to know he has all of above

so we are going to give my son a card that says he can have one of the above

i will let everyone know after Xmas what he picks only worry is the ukulele may not be ready by next Christmas
but it is the thought that counts?

Thanks again for the help and i will be rubber necking on this site every once and awhile

slackkey007
12-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Oh hell, I think something's happening in my trousers. Those are the most remarkable, but still almost bling-free, Ukes I've seen.

Ho, Bruddah Da Beeg Kahuna!

:rotfl: You're too funny, Brah!!!:biglaugh:

But fo' realz kine ... Scheurenbrand ukes are NO JOKE! Da buggahs are MEAN!!!

slackkey007
12-07-2012, 02:34 PM

Turns out my son not a fan of Myamoe i spoke with his uncle and these are what he likes

He says the sound and quality of these ukuleles can not be beat and you have to play them to know he has all of above

i will let everyone know after Xmas what he picks only worry is the ukulele may not be ready by next Christmas

Thanks again for the help and i will be rubber necking on this site every once and awhile

Ho, Bruddah Rubbah Neckah!

Your son get some really good taste in custom ukes! Let us all know what he ends up choosing.

Dan Uke
12-07-2012, 03:01 PM

Since Chuck Moore isn't taking any custom orders, who would have thought that a Compass Rose would be the cheapest.

Plainsong
12-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I'd settle for a Compass Rose any time. Sadly, my family thinks that ukes are toys. In their defense, they've not heard me play live. I'm sure your son will love that little card and the thought behind it. The best instruments are those with personal meaning.

Kamanaaloha
12-07-2012, 04:06 PM

Hive Ukulele are really nice too! I included it in my list...

Custom Koolau?

http://vimeo.com/32659386

moka
12-08-2012, 01:34 AM
If you want some more advice there are couple of japansese luthier which build awesome ukes:

Urabe ukulele : http://www.urabe-strings.com/

Nato is playing this brand : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWV-UAtYXs

Or there is an other one Oihata : http://www.oihata.com/

Merry Xmas !

ukegirl13
12-13-2012, 02:24 PM
I am a builder (Anakoneke) but I am suggesting someone different. I have a 30 yr old son also and I think he would love a Hive Uke. I would contact Jake and see if he has any in stock. That is his ballpark price and he does some really innovative rosettes any 30 yr old would simply love and the shape of his ukes are very young retro-looking. I love them. Here's the website: http://www.hiveukuleles.com/

Good luck!

Kamanaaloha
12-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Jake used to work for? Turner b4 starting Hive?

maclay
01-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Wow......I am really late to this discussion :)
Thank you Kamanaaloha and ukegirl for the kind words.
Ukegirl, do you have a website? I would love to see your work. My base price is $2,850 and its extremely rare for me to have anything in stock.
Kamanaaloha - Yeah, I worked alongside Rick for over 7 years building the Compass Rose Ukes.

hawaii 50
01-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Wow......I am really late to this discussion :)
Thank you Kamanaaloha and ukegirl for the kind words.
Ukegirl, do you have a website? I would love to see your work. My base price is $2,850 and its extremely rare for me to have anything in stock.
Kamanaaloha - Yeah, I worked alongside Rick for over 7 years building the Compass Rose Ukes.

From what i understand Jake was the Compass Rose main builder for those years. John Robinson got some great training and advice from Jake and Rick Turner

i am sure Rick helped Jake to become one of the best uke builders in the world..

attention to details in every Compass Rose and Hive ukulele put them in different league from most ukes i see.. the fit and finish can not be beat

I got to meet Jake right before he left for the East Coast..i am so happy he worked on my CR before he left..

i forgot
Ukegirl13 is in The City
www.anakoneke.com

The Big Kahuna
01-04-2013, 09:07 AM
I am a builder (Anakoneke) but I am suggesting someone different. I have a 30 yr old son also and I think he would love a Hive Uke. I would contact Jake and see if he has any in stock. That is his ballpark price and he does some really innovative rosettes any 30 yr old would simply love and the shape of his ukes are very young retro-looking. I love them. Here's the website: http://www.hiveukuleles.com/

Good luck!

Thanks for the reminder on those Ukes, I forgot to bookmark them last time. I love the proportions of the bodies, and it's nice to see a Uke with an attractive headstock shape these days.