Anyone else have trouble with Dm?

Youkalaylee

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a concert or tenor because I just can't fret Dm properly on my soprano, there doesn't seem to be enough room for my fingers! I do have a picture i can post. Anyone else have trouble with it? Is there different ways of fretting this chord? The way I've been trying to learn is 1st finger on E at the first fret, 2nd on second fret on G and 3rd on second fret C string.

I'm thinking of getting a concert or tenor because I just can't fret Dm properly on my soprano, there doesn't seem to be enough room for my fingers! I do have a picture i can post. Anyone else have trouble with it? Is there different ways of fretting this chord? The way I've been trying to learn is 1st finger on E at the first fret, 2nd on second fret on G and 3rd on second fret C string.

Sounds like you need a bigger uke if Dm is giving you trouble! It looks like you're fretting it correctly. If it's comfortable for you, try taking your middle finger and bend the tip area across the second frets on strings G and C (similar to how you use your index finger to fret E and A in the "B" chord). Make sure your holding the back center of the uke with your thumb as opposed to having your thumb stick up in the air.

Hopefully that will help. There are worse chords than Dm, so if the above way doesn't work you for you I would say go get another one! Wait for more experienced opinions of course though.;)

Sounds like you need a bigger uke if Dm is giving you trouble! It looks like you're fretting it correctly. If it's comfortable for you, try taking your middle finger and bend the tip area across the second frets on strings G and C (similar to how you use your index finger to fret E and A in the "B" chord). Make sure your holding the back center of the uke with your thumb as opposed to having your thumb stick up in the air.

Hopefully that will help. There are worse chords than Dm, so if the above way doesn't work you for you I would say go get another one! Wait for more experienced opinions of course though.;)

So you mean use one finger to hold down both strings? I might try that tomorrow when I practice again, a little too frustrated right now! :)

I had trouble with Dm when I first started playing and I do have quite big hands, I went down the tenor and concert road only to find that with practice no matter how big your fingers are you will eventually be able to play Dm on any uke size, remember its all about muscle memory and practice, keep on strumming

Yep, use the two-string barre method, especially on a soprano. To make this easy, think of it this way - fret an "F" the normal way, with your index at the first fret of the E string and your second finger at the second fret of the G string. Now, just "roll" your second finger down so it holds down both the G and C strings at the second fret (don't move your wrist). The last joint of your second finger will kind of "fold backwards" a little so you can maintain the arch over the E string. Instant Dm and much easier than trying to get an extra finger in there! If you're doing it "right" you'll find that you can switch back and forth between F and Dm very fast with no trouble - which is nice because these chords are often used together!

John

John

DSC00452.jpg

Like said above: make an F-chord and 'bend' your middlefinger back to fret the c-chord. (Pardon my bitten nails, I just got divorced ;))
Practise this for a few days, and you'll get the hang of it. On my concert and the tenor I had before this was also the only way I could make the Dm-chord.

Thanks for that everyone, never would have thought of that and surprised it doesn't mention that in my book as an option! I'm learning from ukulele for dummies.

This is why I've joined this forum :D

A book cannot teach you everything though, D7 I can't do as a bar chord, (Still trying) so it's a D with the pinkie covering the A string. Finding ways to play a chord that you can't do is all part of the fun.
h

I have big hands with fat fingers and thought I would never be able to play Dm on my soprano. Practice ,practice and practice and now it is easy. I only play sopranos , I finger Dm with 3 fingers and it is now easy.

I've had no problem with that, even on my wife's soprano. But it is the same fingering, on the same strings, as the Am I have played on guitar for over 50 years, so muscle memory will get you there (hopefully it won't take 50 years).

I can;'t add much. I used to barre the top two strings with my middle finger but switched over to 3 fingers another thing is to be sure thata you sort of curl your fingers and use more of the tips of the fingers too. Does that make sense?

This chord was difficult for me at first, but time and practice solved everything. Keep it up, you'll get it.

You can struggle with it, find alternatives, and change keys to keep it out of the mix. But if you continue to play, it will keep showing up. Pretty soon, you won't even think about it.

Yeah, that doesn't help you much today. There it is just the same.

I had trouble with Dm when I first started playing and I do have quite big hands, I went down the tenor and concert road only to find that with practice no matter how big your fingers are you will eventually be able to play Dm on any uke size, remember its all about muscle memory and practice, keep on strumming

This was the same for me as well. Just keep practicing and take it SLOW!! You will get it.

yes practice to build dexterity....in time it will come....wait till you get to dm7 ha ha yes it does get worse than Dm

If you move your wrist away from your body a little, it'll be easier to play "crowded" chords like Dm and the diminished chords. (The idea is to change your hand position so your fingers are more on top of each other than side by side. Wish I had time to take a couple pictures for you.)

The fingering you are using is fine. Another practice method that may be helpfu is to fret an F major then apply the ring finger (3rd finger) on the 2nd fret of the c string. Then keeping all fingers in place adjust them until you get a clean d minor. When you have a clean d minor remove the ring finger without moving the other fingers. You are back to an F major. Reapply the ring finger and get a clean sounding d minor. Practice this over and over. When you have the feel in your left hand of how compact you must make the d minor shape remove all fingers at once but holding the shape. Reapply the shape to the fret board and see if you can immediately get a clean d minor. Eventually you will be able to achieve a cleaner d minor. Some chord shapes take lots of practice to play cleanly on a soprano ukulele so just keep practicing. Also, treat yourself to a tenor ukulele if you can afford one. It will make learning the shapes more comfortable and you'll be suprised at how easy it is to transfer to a soprano.

The fingering you are using is fine. Another practice method that may be helpfu is to fret an F major then apply the ring finger (3rd finger) on the 2nd fret of the c string. Then keeping all fingers in place adjust them until you get a clean d minor. When you have a clean d minor remove the ring finger without moving the other fingers. You are back to an F major. Reapply the ring finger and get a clean sounding d minor. Practice this over and over. When you have the feel in your left hand of how compact you must make the d minor shape remove all fingers at once but holding the shape. Reapply the shape to the fret board and see if you can immediately get a clean d minor. Eventually you will be able to achieve a cleaner d minor. Some chord shapes take lots of practice to play cleanly on a soprano ukulele so just keep practicing. Also, treat yourself to a tenor ukulele if you can afford one. It will make learning the shapes more comfortable and you'll be suprised at how easy it is to transfer to a soprano.

Thanks, I'll try that. I've got a thread over on the buying advice page, I want to get a tenor ukulele - my boyfriend has offered to buy me one for Christmas. Can you give me some advice on what to look for?

Top Bottom