Do Not Want to Ask for Much But......

electrauke

Reaction score
I so so so so wanted to go to NAMM but read that it is not open to the public:( How could they do this to people, I mean the most awesome event in the world just closed?! Then I read that if you know someone that is registered with NAMM they can get you passes. It may be a bad thing to ask but here it goes, can....anyone....get....tickets...for.....me. There it is. I mean ALDRINE is going to be there. He is my favorite player of all time. I DREAM about getting my uke signed by him. I hope I have not broken UU edicate rules by asking this, but thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
11 year old uke loving kid Andre Brilliant

Go to your local music shops, even guitar center if you have one, and beg a visitor pass off someone. I doubt everyone is using all their visitor passes. I think asking here is a good idea as well. Good luck to you, I hope you get in! Someone hook the kid up.....

Just found out NAMM stands for National Association of Music Merchants. Too bad for us the general public :(

Last year they did a public day on Sunday, but I think that was taken out. Sunday sucked with all the people there.

To be fair, like cahaya said, it is intended for Merchants. I think we should be content with the coverage we get of the various uke companies.

Just found out NAMM stands for National Association of Music Merchants. Too bad for us the general public :(

If im not mistaken arent retailers issued visitor or guest passes?
Im quite sure there are extras to be had. I dont see the harm of a kid trying to score
A pass to go. Why dump on his enthusiasm?

Last year they did a public day on Sunday, but I think that was taken out. Sunday sucked with all the people there.
Ha yeah. Sucks that merchants would have to spend a day with the folks shelling out cash for their products
:D

If im not mistaken arent retailers issued visitor or guest passes?
Im quite sure there are extras to be had. I dont see the harm of a kid trying to score
A pass to go. Why dump on his enthusiasm?

NAMM members get 4 passes for the show that are supposed to be for employees only.

Most large trade shows are designed for manufacturers to to show off the product line to the people who will buy them. In the manufacturing world, their primary customer is retailers—meaning stores, be they chains or independents.

The stores' customers are you and me and little Joe down the street.

NAMM is already crowded. If the general public were allowed inside, it would become a swap meet and lose it's value to the market as we know it. The best way for makers to get their product out there is to let the stores do it. The stores (in theory) know what will sell in their area and place orders accordingly. Then the manufacturers work to fill the orders. Makers make. Stores sell.

Aside from the wow factor (which is huge), there is nothing to buy at most trade shows. Orders are placed, products demonstrated, but not much outright selling. It's a business thing, nothing personal.

Ha yeah. Sucks that merchants would have to spend a day with the folks shelling out cash for their products
:D

I know you know what i meant, but to clarify.
It sucked having all the peasants there. they are dirty dirty things.

Actually, when the public was able to come in, it was just more crowded. just gets hot and hard to talk with vendors.

Most large trade shows are designed for manufacturers to to show off the product line to the people who will buy them. In the manufacturing world, their primary customer is retailers—meaning stores, be they chains or independents.

The stores' customers are you and me and little Joe down the street.

NAMM is already crowded. If the general public were allowed inside, it would become a swap meet and lose it's value to the market as we know it. The best way for makers to get their product out there is to let the stores do it. The stores (in theory) know what will sell in their area and place orders accordingly. Then the manufacturers work to fill the orders. Makers make. Stores sell.

Aside from the wow factor (which is huge), there is nothing to buy at most trade shows. Orders are placed, products demonstrated, but not much outright selling. It's a business thing, nothing personal.

Exactly true. I wish I could go to NAMM too; however, I've attended trade shows for my line of work (mainly pet industry) and they are very busy as it is. The vendors' mission is unfortunately not to cater to the fanboys and girls of particular items, but rather to gain potential retailers for their products. It's all about business. As much as I would love to attend NAMM as a fan of music and instrument makers, it's just not what those shows are designed for.

It's a trade show. If you are not in the industry, why would you even want to go?

Because it is AWESOME! Everything music is there, who would not want to go.

Because it is AWESOME! Everything music is there, who would not want to go.

If you really want to go, get a job with an Ukulele music shop and use their employee passes. It may not be for a few years as you're only 11, but that's the only way I see you getting to NAMM. Someone taking you would be like me taking my god daughter to a writer's convention because she wanted to meet her favourite author. It's not what it's for and it could be bad for business, they are there to forge connections and make business deals, not taking someone to see their favourite player.

I'd love to meet Aldrine, but if I was going to go anywhere, it would be somewhere like UWC - Ukulele World Congress which is FOR players to meet OTHER players, NOT business, personal. There are other big Uke fests around that would be more appropriate and a place for you to try and meet Aldrine.

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, just pointing out a few things....

Joey :music:

Guess you are right. But meeting Aldrine is not the only reason I would like to go. Just seeing all the music stuff is amazing. I still will go if I get the chance, I will eventually PREVAIL:)

Wow, this is great advice, I am pretty savvy with websites and stuff like that. In fact that would be AWESOME to start a website like that. I think I will do like electramusic.com so I am not limited to ukes. Maybe I can get someone who is good in Drums to do drum reviews and someone who is good in guitar to do guitar reviews. Thank you very much.

It is a shame that all the stuff about NAMM being for wholesalers and retailers and being just work is true, especially when we see all the reports that make it into the media that make the truth seem to be wrong. The reporting of NAMM never seems to be about deals or work, it always seems to make out that NAMM is some form of music nirvana. Most young people could be forgiven for thinking NAMM is a big rock festival after reading the media reports.
A person who is 11 now will be in the buying generation in a few years, do some social networking and twittering and get a lot of 11 year olds together on line and start being an influence on buying trends and the NAMM organisers may send you and invitation and run around after you all day at the show if they think your influence will sell products. Expect to be given a few samples and meet some great music people when you get there . Learn how to do an influential review on anything musical and you will be on a winner. An influential review will get punters to buy the product, so you put down what ever is necessary to move product in the review, or if the seller is not nice to you, you adjust the review accordingly. Think about setting up the influential electraukedotcom website for music stuff, and make the current trend instead of following the trend. It could go through the set up phase while your parents are still paying the bills, and start to hit some paydirt as you reach an age where you need to pay your own way. One of the fringe benefits would be invitations to visit NAMM and do some selected and influential reviews. Pick up a few units in music stuff at school and become some form of expert in an area you enjoy to compliment your website with some useful information.

I know you know what i meant, but to clarify.
It sucked having all the peasants there. they are dirty dirty things.

Actually, when the public was able to come in, it was just more crowded. just gets hot and hard to talk with vendors.

was just having a little fun with ya....no harm intended

It is a shame that all the stuff about NAMM being for wholesalers and retailers and being just work is true, especially when we see all the reports that make it into the media that make the truth seem to be wrong. The reporting of NAMM never seems to be about deals or work, it always seems to make out that NAMM is some form of music nirvana. Most young people could be forgiven for thinking NAMM is a big rock festival after reading the media reports.
A person who is 11 now will be in the buying generation in a few years, do some social networking and twittering and get a lot of 11 year olds together on line and start being an influence on buying trends and the NAMM organisers may send you and invitation and run around after you all day at the show if they think your influence will sell products. Expect to be given a few samples and meet some great music people when you get there . Learn how to do an influential review on anything musical and you will be on a winner. An influential review will get punters to buy the product, so you put down what ever is necessary to move product in the review, or if the seller is not nice to you, you adjust the review accordingly. Think about setting up the influential electraukedotcom website for music stuff, and make the current trend instead of following the trend. It could go through the set up phase while your parents are still paying the bills, and start to hit some paydirt as you reach an age where you need to pay your own way. One of the fringe benefits would be invitations to visit NAMM and do some selected and influential reviews. Pick up a few units in music stuff at school and become some form of expert in an area you enjoy to compliment your website with some useful information.

This is amazingly good advice, why would he want to go? Who cares?....you got an 11 year old kid thats excited about the uke, and about music. Thats probably pretty rare these days.
Hes got a good resource here with the people on this site. I would think a tenacious little dude like this is something youd all want to encourage.
Maybe it wont be as fun as he thinks, but who knows maybe it will, and he'll become a great uke builder someday, or a famous player. Obviously alot of you here never tried to sneak backstage at a concert....

NAMM members get 4 passes for the show that are supposed to be for employees only.

We get more than that :)

And even harder to hear in the booths. On the last open to the public day I was at I left within an hour.

Top Bottom