Sound Difference between Ukes?

Got_Ukes

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I've been researching the web and most, if not all, say that the concert, tenor, and soprano should sound the same.

This may be a (duh, stoopid!) question, but...Does anyone know if a Concert Uke should sound like a tenor or soprano? OR would the concert uke have its own sound? Just wanting to know the the real truth.

Any replies would be much appreciated!!!

Mahalo Nui Loa!

There will be vast differences in the sounds of different ukes.

The size can certainly be one of the key factors in these different sounds, but equally impactful are (in very grossly simplified and not always accurate terms):

Material (is it wood, plastic, laminate, carbon fibre? If wood, what kind?)
Strings (Aquila's are often considered the brightest sounding, fluorocarbons seem to be somewhere in the middle and pure nylon strings are often somewhat muted)
How it was built (is is massively over-built with too heavy bracing? or vice versa? or somewhere in between?)

Aside from all of these other factors and if you compared ukes built with identical materials, built in the same fashion and strung with the same strings, you would like get distinct sounds from each size. Typically the string tension will rise somewhat along with the size. Similarly, the larger the instrument the more sustain and volume.

You might be interested to listen to some comparison videos of different ukes built by different folks with different materials and strings. Our very own member, Nuprin has done a bunch, though he tends to compare premium makes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh46H7yyv0k&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlB8Ku3fNhM&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvn59eZM8XA&list=UL

Thanks HBolte, JamiefromOntario, & Ukeeku!

Here's another silly question...Should the tuning of a concert uke be the exact same as the tenor or soprano. Standard GCEA tuning? (trying to tune a new uke seems impossible!)

Here's another silly question...Should the tuning of a concert uke be the exact same as the tenor or soprano. Standard GCEA tuning? (trying to tune a new uke seems impossible!)

Yes it is. Pocket ukes and baritones are tuned differently. Some people like to tune sopranos A D F# B, you will find vintage uke books with that tuning or key. But over all the Soprano, Concert, and Tenor are tuned G C E A

Typically, all three sizes are tuned the same, GCEA.

However, some folks find a different tuning is better suited to a different size (or even instrument). You can see from my sig that I have two tenor made from vaguely similar woods (soft wood tops and hardwood back and sides), but I tune them different. I've found each 'wants' to be tuned a different way to get the best sound.

Not sure what sites you visited, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they should all sound the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As you quickly surmised, this doesn't even make sense.
Hope you find the sound you love in whatever size feels and plays best in your hands.

(trying to tune a new uke seems impossible!)
But that's not a problem of the uke, it's a problem of the new strings which need to stretch - you will have the same problems every time you put new strings on. After a few days of settling your strings/uke should stay in tune.

Last edited:
Soprano, concert, and tenor ukes all have the same tuning. Their differences are in scale length and the size will give a different tone, but not a different pitch. String tension changes based on size as well. Baritone ukes are tuned lower(DGBE) than the others(gCEA).

Top Bottom