Visit to the Peghed manufactory in South Carolina

wendellfiddler

Reaction score
Last month my wife and I visited Chuck Herin's shop in Winnsboro, SC to get the plastic grips on my UT2 swapped for ebony. We had a great time meeting Chuck. We were fortunate to have him spend an hour or so with us. He's an amazing multi-talented person. An accomplished professional cellist and a self-trained engineer with an impressive portfolio of inventions. He not only designed the peghed tuner, he designs and set up the machines that make most of its parts.

Although I live in New England, I was able to visit Winnsboro because my daughter lives in Charlotte, NC, which is only about an hour away. My UT2 is an older model and the tuners on it were some of the earlier pegheds, made before they started regrinding the grips to make them look more like ebony. So, since I was going to be in the area, Chuck told me he'd install the new ones for free if came by.

I highly recommend a visit. Chuch's building is an old granite school that he's been restoring for many years - and seeing that alone is worth the trip.

Chuck working on my UT2 small.jpgme and chuck 2.jpgUT2 with ebony grips.jpg

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of one of the tuners taken apart? I would love to see his operation!

Do you have any pictures of one of the tuners taken apart? I would love to see his operation!

I hesitate to speak about Chuck's product, as I only know a little about it but here's a picture of a bunch of parts - and actually several versions of the grips. I think you can find pictures of the parts on the web as well - the male part of the tapered work gear is attached to the grip - the female part is integrated into the housing, so we can't see that. You'd have to have one open and in your hand to do so. My understanding is that the the female part of the tapered gear is somewhat of an engineering triumph on Chuck's part.

Doug

Attachments

• bunch a parts.jpg
    bunch a parts.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom