changing guitar to ukulele

luckyends

Reaction score
so i have found myself on a quest to get a decent fully electric ukulele but am having little to no luck (I want to get an eleuke but they seem hard to track down) and so i was wondering how do you guys think it would turn out if i took an electric guitar and took off 2 strings and tuned it as a ukulele?
would that be sort of ok or just be total crap

It would be what it is.

There is no right or wrong if it functions and you get the sound you're looking for.

If you are looking to go that route though, you might also expand your search parameters to tenor guitars. There are some nice four string electric tenors to be had that'd fit the bill nicely and you could tune them any which way you wanted without having to explain diddly about it.

Last edited:
so i have found myself on a quest to get a decent fully electric ukulele but am having little to no luck (I want to get an eleuke but they seem hard to track down) and so i was wondering how do you guys think it would turn out if i took an electric guitar and took off 2 strings and tuned it as a ukulele?
would that be sort of ok or just be total crap
Check with MGM, he has this one on his ebay store as well as numerous other instruments with electronics.

b220_1.JPG

http://www.ukulele.de/menu/

Risa (which is the site i linked to) makes an all electric steel-string tenor.
They also do electric nylon string tenors.

I have one of their nylon string solid-body electrics and it is really good!

You can try a guitarlele and see if you like that. Almost sound of a baritone uke, but fingering like a guitar that you are used to.

If you're determined to get a guitar to tinker with, ask at your local music shop for a one quarter scale guitar. There are a few around - they're not the same as a uke, but they are small. Some acoustic models even have nylon strings. I had one in the 80s, and had a short scale electric as well (there was a video of ZZ Top playing these little electrics).

Personally, I'd say look for a Bugsgear Eleuke on eBay (musicguymic sells them). There are also some knockoffs on sale now and then at a lower price.

Also, if you go to Pete Howlett's website, he has a full range of electric ukuleles that are hand made and superb to play. I would go with him.

Top Bottom