PDA

View Full Version : What is the best online ukulele dealer?

mossyoak
02-17-2008, 06:30 PM
:confused:

UKESTAR
02-17-2008, 06:38 PM
:confused:

The standard is ebay with musicguymic. Also, ukulele4u on ebay is good. Elderly music is alright, but totally overpriced. Hawaiimusicsupply.com is good. Also, ukes.com (bounty music) is good.

Check all of these. I have had good luck with all of them. The service at Hawaiimusicsupply is pretty weak though...I think it is one of those things where they get soooo much business that they lose focus of the customers.....

Hope that helps.

Ukulele_Junkie
02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
on ebay:
Musicguymic
Ukulele4u

musiciansfriend.com

ur best bet is to buy from ebay, epecially from those two seller names, they actually enclose the photos of the uke ur getting and not a stock photo like most other online stores.

Ukulele_Junkie
02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
The standard is ebay with musicguymic. Also, ukulele4u on ebay is good. Elderly music is alright, but totally overpriced. Hawaiimusicsupply.com is good. Also, ukes.com (bounty music) is good.

Check all of these. I have had good luck with all of them. The service at Hawaiimusicsupply is pretty weak though...I think it is one of those things where they get soooo much business that they lose focus of the customers.....

Hope that helps.

hey i like that hawaiinmuscsupply.com place they carry the brand G-string. I played one up in seattle, it sounds pretty nice. And, I can't find that brand anywhere else online.

UKESTAR
02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
on ebay:
Musicguymic
Ukulele4u

musiciansfriend.com

ur best bet is to buy from ebay, epecially from those two seller names, they actually enclose the photos of the uke ur getting and not a stock photo like most other online stores.

Wow....guess we agree on this..haha. I think we wrote this at the same time..ahha

UKESTAR
02-17-2008, 06:43 PM
hey i like that hawaiinmuscsupply.com place they carry the brand G-string. I played one up in seattle, it sounds pretty nice. And, I can't find that brand anywhere else online.

Yeh, Andrew the owner is the son of Kitakas (name??) who started Pono and Koolau. He seems overwhelmed whenever I call.. Nice guy though.

mossyoak
02-17-2008, 07:00 PM

Hope that helps.

I recently ordered a Pono from hawaiimusicsupply.com and it took almost a month to come and whenever I tried to call to track my order they were too busy. And when they said they'd call me back they never did. I've heard sooooo many good things about this musicguymic on ebay maybe I should give it a shot.

UKESTAR
02-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I recently ordered a Pono from hawaiimusicsupply.com and it took almost a month to come and whenever I tried to call to track my order they were too busy. And when they said they'd call me back they never did. I've heard sooooo many good things about this musicguymic on ebay maybe I should give it a shot.

Yeh....I have had to call twice and ask for them to send me what they said they would send me. They simply "forgot". Who "forgets" these days?? Write it down man......make it happen....this is not rocket science... Sorry, I think you can sense my frustration.

I am still waiting. Hopefully I get what I need so I can play my new uke!:eek:

Ukulele_Junkie
02-17-2008, 07:12 PM
moss you got that 635.95 pono koa, hows it play and it looked sexy when i saw it on the site. Sucks about that shipping time tho, i hate waiting a week for my items haha. oh yeah musicguymic was also selling this model of pono koa. same price. FREE SHIPPING!!!!!!

rayan
02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
So many people on here say they got their ukes from musicguymic on ebay. We tried schedule something to meet him but ironically, he hasn't returned our emails! hahaha.

I've heard nothing but good things about his service though.

davoomac
02-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I can personally vouch for musicguymic as well. I got my kala from him for $295. Shipping was fast, and exactly as described and shown in the pictures. Included with the Kala was free shipping, hard case, pitchpipe, and a herb ohta dvd.

He quickly followed up with me on my purchase and responded to my emails initially right after my purchase... But I haven't been able to contact him since... :confused:

Guting
02-17-2008, 09:53 PM
I bought ukes from musiciansfriend and strings from ukulele world, both great.

david98116
02-18-2008, 12:14 AM
No matter where you ask, everybody will mention musicguymic on ebay. He sells good ukuleles and sets them up nice as well. Combine that with the free shipping !! Choice!

wearymicrobe
02-18-2008, 04:02 AM
MGM is good but I think shawn is better, selection is smaller but what a selection it is.

http://web.mac.com/syacavone/iWeb/Site/For%20Sale.html

GX9901
02-18-2008, 06:12 AM
MGM is good but I think shawn is better, selection is smaller but what a selection it is.

Yeah, I bought a uke from Shawn last month in person and had a great time trying out his ukes and just chatting in general. He serves a different customer from MGM though. You need some serious moola to get one of Shawn's awesome ukes.:p

NukeDOC
02-18-2008, 06:19 AM

hahaha i wish i could afford to even browse through those ukes.

one day... maybe

wearymicrobe
02-18-2008, 06:39 AM
He has this one, that I am lusting over
http://web.mac.com/syacavone/iWeb/Site/8B29D20B-D669-48DB-9332-F719D2D311B9.html

If I did not have the kanile'a comming in I would be playing it right now.

mossyoak
02-18-2008, 08:18 AM
moss you got that 635.95 pono koa, hows it play and it looked sexy when i saw it on the site. Sucks about that shipping time tho, i hate waiting a week for my items haha. oh yeah musicguymic was also selling this model of pono koa. same price. FREE SHIPPING!!!!!!

I got a mahogany Pono (PT). So far it's great. I will soon be in the market for a koa uke. I don't know if I can deal with shipping a Kamaka or Kanile'a because hawaiimusicsupply.com only put the hard case in a Box and no extra padding. Who know what my pono endured on the way here

northern uke
02-18-2008, 08:19 AM
musicguymic is a great guy who just loves hooking up people with ukes. His first passion is ukes and buisness comes second. He is a one man operation and not some shop or dealer in the traditional sense. He also has alot of heart and warmth in that classic Hawaiian style so he trys very hard to make all his deals happy ones. He travels all over the world seeing manufacturers and uke shows so you can meet him anytime you get around to it.

mossyoak
02-18-2008, 08:35 AM
If anyone has ever ordered a uke from musicguymic can you tell me how much extra padding or w/e he puts in the box to protect it on its journey?

Ukulele_Junkie
02-18-2008, 08:39 AM
If anyone has ever ordered a uke from musicguymic can you tell me how much extra padding or w/e he puts in the box to protect it on its journey?

he puts those foamy noodle things.

davoomac
02-18-2008, 09:24 AM

My ukulele came in its hard case then wrapped in packing paper again and put into a tough cardboard box. It seemed more than enough to protect the ukulele. I don't really remember too many of those packing peanuts though.. Maybe I'm forgetting. All I know is that mine came in quickly and safely.

mossyoak
02-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks! He may be the best person to order from.

koa
02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
I've purchased from both alternatetuning, Elderly & MGM. Customer service before and after purchase from all three have been excellent. Not sure if Mike Atkins at alternatetunings is selling ukes anymore. I think just accessories & repair work. MGM & Mike A. will both send you instruments properly set up with some changes (strings, tuners).

Regarding packaging for shipping. Double boxed or cased. Stuffing to protect the inner box/case.

Regarding pricing. No real significant difference. My 1st choices between the three would be MGM or alternatetunings. Uke specific people who are into what they do beyond just being a business.

tripl3thr33
02-18-2008, 03:43 PM
musicguymic does have great service. i had something wrong with my pickup and he fixed it for free. even returned it without me having to pay for shipping. absolutely great

davoomac
02-18-2008, 05:00 PM
musicguymic does have great service. i had something wrong with my pickup and he fixed it for free. even returned it without me having to pay for shipping. absolutely great

how did you contact musicguymic? I tried asking him questions through email, but he did not respond.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-18-2008, 06:08 PM
i got my uke from ebay, dunno who off but he packed it in this hard cardboard in more hard cardboard... then inside it was in bubble stuff and then haad all shreaded cardboard LOL!!!

packing cost more than the uke -.-

mossyoak
02-18-2008, 06:59 PM
when I bought my Pono from hawaiimusicsupply.com, they put the hard case it came with just in a box. No foam, padding, or anything soft to protect it. I'm hoping the ko'olau case was good enough.

panda84
08-20-2017, 03:45 AM
Hi
May I ask for latest update on these online sellers? I'd love to research to get my 2nd Uke by Thanksgiving (or Christmas). Vietnam has lots and lots of Shops making and selling ukuleles but I'd like to get one from a well-regard brand (also for collection purpose) and for branded ukes, we don't have that many options here in vietnam. So, any good recommendation willbe greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Croaky Keith
08-20-2017, 05:13 AM
Wow! Reviving a 9 year old thread......

Mim gets good recommends, HMS gets good recommends, SUS gets good recommends - look around at all the NUD postings to get an idea for yourself.

Regarding brands, what price range? - Kala, Ohana, Mainland, RISA, Baton Rouge, Pono, just some of the cheaper end manufacturers

UkerDanno
08-20-2017, 05:15 AM
Hi
May I ask for latest update on these online sellers? I'd love to research to get my 2nd Uke by Thanksgiving (or Christmas). Vietnam has lots and lots of Shops making and selling ukuleles but I'd like to get one from a well-regard brand (also for collection purpose) and for branded ukes, we don't have that many options here in vietnam. So, any good recommendation willbe greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Your best bets...
https://www.theukulelesite.com/
http://mimsukes.com/
http://www.ukerepublic.com/

panda84
08-20-2017, 05:36 AM
Wow! Reviving a 9 year old thread......

Mim gets good recommends, HMS gets good recommends, SUS gets good recommends - look around at all the NUD postings to get an idea for yourself.

Regarding brands, what price range? - Kala, Ohana, Mainland, RISA, Baton Rouge, Pono, just some of the cheaper end manufacturers

I'll have around $500 for this upgrade so i'm looking for something that I can play for quite a while (a long while :p)

etudes
08-20-2017, 05:49 AM
HMS: Andrew and his team take care of the customer. And amazing video resources to hear the instrument you're considering being well played!

Croaky Keith
08-20-2017, 07:18 AM
I'll have around $500 for this upgrade so i'm looking for something that I can play for quite a while (a long while :p)

Add KoAloha, & Kanile'a to that list then. :)

Happy hunting.

DaveY
08-20-2017, 07:45 AM
I'll only mention the places I've bought from that I recommend -- not the one I don't recommend.

uke-fan.com (http://uke-fan.com) doesn't get mentioned, but I've bought four times from them -- they have a limited selection, but excellent service, and free shipping starts at $100.01

theukulelesite.com (http://theukulelesite.com) has served me extremely well in the past; they now seem to be busier than ever, which has affected pre-sale communications, in my experience. But if you know what you want, that won't matter.

mimsukes (http://mimsukes) was great the one time I bought from her; she has some brands that theukulelesite does not carry (as they have some that she does not sell)

JackLuis
08-20-2017, 12:24 PM
+1 for Mim She was responsive and shipped my Ohana out in two days with a tracking number.

I've had good luck with Caramel (on Amazon and EBay) too, inexpensive Ukes that play well.

Rakelele
08-20-2017, 09:07 PM
For international customers like you and me, definitely Hawaii Music Supply / The Ukulele Site (https://www.theukulelesite.com/). They make sure that only well made ukes get shipped, they set them up for best playability and intonation, and they are the only store I know of that offers free international shipping (on instruments over $800 USD). Instead of paying like a hundred dollars extra for shipping, you can invest that in a better instrument.

As for instruments in your price range, I'd recommend Pono, KoAloha Opio, and Romero Creations, or upgrade to a Hawaiian made instrument from KoAloha, Kanilea, or Kamaka.

panda84
08-20-2017, 11:36 PM
For international customers like you and me, definitely Hawaii Music Supply / The Ukulele Site (https://www.theukulelesite.com/). They make sure that only well made ukes get shipped, they set them up for best playability and intonation, and they are the only store I know of that offers free international shipping (on instruments over $800 USD). Instead of paying like a hundred dollars extra for shipping, you can invest that in a better instrument.

As for instruments in your price range, I'd recommend Pono, KoAloha Opio, and Romero Creations, or upgrade to a Hawaiian made instrument from KoAloha, Kanilea, or Kamaka.

Thank you for all recommendation!! For me, choosing a ukulele is pretty much the hardest purchase I've tried. Everything sounds so nice in the hand of experts haha. From the search, I narrowed down my options to: Koaloha Opio concert Spruce Top Acacia, Koaloha Opio concert Acacia (I love the look of this uke!), and Pono ACD Acacia concert Deluxe, Pono AC Acacia Concert (cos I love satin finish)..... I have until roughly Oct/early Nov to decide so..... headache til then hahaha.

Rakelele
08-20-2017, 11:49 PM
From the search, I narrowed down my options to: Koaloha Opio concert Spruce Top Acacia, Koaloha Opio concert Acacia (I love the look of this uke!), and Pono ACD Acacia concert Deluxe, Pono AC Acacia Concert (cos I love satin finish).

All good choices. Just be aware that KoAloha Concerts have friction tuners. While some people like them, I find them very hard to tune precisely. HMS will change them to Gotoh UPT tuners for a small upcharge. They look similar, but hold the strings much better. You won't have this issue with Pono, as they come with geared tuners.

Nickie
08-22-2017, 04:55 AM
Here's my vote for Mim's Ukes. It's always a pleasure, never a hassle. She's a master at setups too.
I also have to throw in for Mainland Ukes. Mike is very good, he treats each customer with professionalism and politeness. And Mainland is one of the nicest Chinese ukes you can buy. I have a friend who sold her Pono and kept her Mainland, and it wasn't over money or alcohol!

tangimango
08-22-2017, 07:03 PM
best would be HMS and they have free shipping to international. but depends what your looking for.

dinghy
08-23-2017, 10:32 AM
ahoy

Mim
have bought from
would do again

yours truly
mac

tomthebaptist
08-26-2017, 04:08 PM
Uke Republic - a top notch dealer.

w/o-talent
08-27-2017, 02:24 AM
Another vote for Mim. She responded to my emails and calls on a timely basis, and does a wonderful job on the setup.

DanY
08-27-2017, 06:26 AM
Can anyone recommend a Martin retailer that will do a setup? Even on the lower end model like a OX?

Estudiante
08-30-2017, 03:53 AM
I live a few minutes from Elderly Instruments. The in-store experience is very good, but I don't have an online experience to share. Their ukulele guy is very skilled and knowledgeable. Someone commented they are overpriced. My opinion: not a place to find your "best deal ever", but not overpriced. You can't run a shop like Elderly and also be a Costco of stringed instruments. That would be Guitar Center.

Another well known Michigan-based business I recommend is Strings-By-Mail. Great selection and they ship fast.

Joyful Uke
08-30-2017, 06:20 AM
I live a few minutes from Elderly Instruments. The in-store experience is very good, but I don't have an online experience to share. Their ukulele guy is very skilled and knowledgeable. Someone commented they are overpriced. My opinion: not a place to find your "best deal ever", but not overpriced. You can't run a shop like Elderly and also be a Costco of stringed instruments.

I did buy one ukulele online from Elderly, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Perfectly set up, very quick to respond to emails and questions, and shipped right away via my preferred shipper.

They weren't any higher priced than HMS. Don't know if Mim or Uke Republic would have been less expensive if they had what I wanted, but it was the same price as HMS, and perfectly set up.

I did get one ukulele from Mim, which was also set up very well, and she did have a better price on that one. She had it for something like 18 months without anyone buying it, so she might have been anxious to make a sale? I don't know if she typically has such good deals, but perhaps she does. Regardless, it's a fantastic ukulele, set up well, and I would buy from Mim again as well.

Mim
08-30-2017, 11:18 AM
I did buy one ukulele online from Elderly, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Perfectly set up, very quick to respond to emails and questions, and shipped right away via my preferred shipper.

They weren't any higher priced than HMS. Don't know if Mim or Uke Republic would have been less expensive if they had what I wanted, but it was the same price as HMS, and perfectly set up.

I did get one ukulele from Mim, which was also set up very well, and she did have a better price on that one. She had it for something like 18 months without anyone buying it, so she might have been anxious to make a sale? I don't know if she typically has such good deals, but perhaps she does. Regardless, it's a fantastic ukulele, set up well, and I would buy from Mim again as well.

I try to do good deals. Sometimes it depends on the uke. In general I try to have my prices be the same as everyone else's. And shipping on orders over $200 are free, so that helps. Packaging saves money to. If you are buying a uke I try to cut you a good deal on a case and all the little bits that come with a uke :) And of course I set everything up no matter what. But yes, good deals on ukes I have had a long time can oft-times happen ;)

brimmer
08-30-2017, 01:37 PM
I have had great uke purchases from HMS, Elderly, and Bernuzio. It all depends on who happens to have an instrument I want to buy.

AlohaKine
08-31-2017, 01:24 PM
The Ukulele Site in Hawaii is really nice, they really prep them up and check them out before shipping;

theukulelesite.com