Fun day today

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Today I went and played music at a rest home for the residents there. I went and picked up the guy who got me started on the uke. He is 81. I picked him up and we went to the home and played for an hour. The residents loved it! I don't think we played anything newer than 1956! Ha! They sang along with just about every tune. Afterwards they came up and thanked us profusely. They said usually the only singers they get are church groups and appreciated the variety. It really was a great time to just sit there with our two ukes and play whatever we wanted. Just wanted to share.

Sounds fun. There is some really good pre-1956 music that's fun to play. Maybe you will get invited back.

we did get invited back. I have to check my schedule first then I am going back!
Sounds fun. There is some really good pre-1956 music that's fun to play. Maybe you will get invited back.

What a wonderful thing for you to do! :)

I need to get back into that. Years ago I sang with a caroling group that played rest homes for the holidays. We usually performed in a rec room, then the rest of the singers would go down the hallways to sing to the residents who weren't able to make it, usually because they weren't ambulatory or were hooked up to IVs. I would stay behind and play some solo pieces on my classical guitar.

You won't find a more appreciative audience anywhere. It's a great confidence builder and if you make a flub, they're very forgiving.

Good for you, Rem. My mother lives in a retirement center, and the residents plan their days around concerts like this, and they talk about it afterward. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and your playing in performance situations will improve quickly.

That story made my day. Makes me want to put together an oldies set list and just go for it...
-joe

Nice job Dean. Especially during the holidays. It sounds like a win win situation!

do it. I used to do it years ago when starting in bluegrass. played banjo and mandolin but there is something exciting about just you and your uke
That story made my day. Makes me want to put together an oldies set list and just go for it...
-joe

All you oldies fans, I have the privilege of playing for the 'Memory' wing at a Senior Living location and the residents are very animated whenever I play there. (every Wed - pre-meal)

These are the songs I enjoy playing and singing.

I also play at another Senior Community almost monthly for a Hymn Sing. Again, the residents really appreciate both the Hymns and the Popular songs they remember :)

If you have the opportunity to play for our Seniors, please do so. They long to hear the 'oldies' and many of them know the lyrics. Those are great songs!

You can find some of them in the links in my signature :)

keep uke'in',

Well done - it gives terrific satisfaction to perform for the 'oldies', especially as they enjoy the music so much - our uke group has done a few performances and just last week we did 2 Xmas performances - one for a retirement home & the other for a Charitable group made up almost entirely of 'older ladies' ...... and they all had a fun time, joining in with gusto. :)

3 of our 'beginners' stepped up to the plate, to join us in the performances & THEY thoroughly enjoyed themselves too!

cheers

Roberta

Top Bottom