WALNUT SUPER TENOR FROM kanilea ?

davo17

Reaction score
i recently purchased this off e-bay awaiting its arrival
i love the kanilea sound but have never laid ears on a super tenor or a walnut super tenor for that matter

Its a little late to ask but anyone strum one of these ? feel free to voice the good and the bad i wanna hear it all.
thanks Dave

Congrats Dave! It sounds like a very unique uke.

Got a picture of your new Kanile'a?

Congrats Dave! It sounds like a very unique uke.

Got a picture of your new Kanile'a?

thanks, not yet it is in transit anxiously awaiting .
Broke the news to my wife last night ,she got kinda quiet now im kinda nervous hopefully it sounds sweet i wonder how many ukulele's have been the root cause of divorce? hmmmm

I've always wondered how a walnut Kanile'a would sound after seeing them for sale on eBay. I was tempted to buy the walnut tenor. Walnut being a much denser wood then koa would probably give it a much brighter sound compared to a similar koa super tenor.

The Kanile'a website says following:
Some of the best sounding 'ukuleles we have built have been of Claro Walnut back and sides with a Sitka spruce soundboard. This wood combination is very popular with custom and production guitar builders.

http://kanileaukulele.com/faq15.php

Please review it when you received it! Enjoy. :)

The Kanile'a website says following:
Some of the best sounding 'ukuleles we have built have been of Claro Walnut back and sides with a Sitka spruce soundboard. This wood combination is very popular with custom and production guitar builders.

http://kanileaukulele.com/faq15.php

Please review it when you received it! Enjoy. :)

I'll be in Hawaii next week and will definitely visit Kanile'a at least once. Will definitely talk to them about that wood combination. I told myself that I wouldn't buy another uke while I'm there and that I would wait a while before I buy another one but I'm weak an may have a relapse with my UAS. I know that my next uke will definitely be a custom.

Thanks for nothing 'davo17' for making me think about getting another uke. And I thought my UAS was under control. But no you had to bring up that you where getting a walnut Kanile'a!! Now my wife will definitely divorce me! My dogs and cat will disown me. I hate you ;) I hope you enjoy your new uke :)

I'll be in Hawaii next week and will definitely visit Kanile'a at least once. Will definitely talk to them about that wood combination. I told myself that I wouldn't buy another uke while I'm there and that I would wait a while before I buy another one but I'm weak an may have a relapse with my UAS. I know that my next uke will definitely be a custom.

Thanks for nothing 'davo17' for making me think about getting another uke. And I thought my UAS was under control. But no you had to bring up that you where getting a walnut Kanile'a!! Now my wife will definitely divorce me! My dogs and cat will disown me. I hate you ;) I hope you enjoy your new uke :)

sorry bout that , however it is an all walnut super tenor so i hope it is not to bright

Broke the news to my wife last night ,she got kinda quiet now im kinda nervous hopefully it sounds sweet i wonder how many ukulele's have been the root cause of divorce? hmmmm

Dave,

You need a critical mass of ukes. That way when a new one arrives, it will not be noticed by your wife. Much less explaining that way.

Also make sure you support your wife's hobby. That will keep her too occupied to notice new ukes. :D

Dave,

You need a critical mass of ukes. That way when a new one arrives, it will not be noticed by your wife. Much less explaining that way.

Also make sure you support your wife's hobby. That will keep her too occupied to notice new ukes. :D
i am getting there quickly believe me, Chuck Moore told me just make sure she gets somthin real nice too , and then it don't matter .
but she's the saver i'm the spender and if she was like me we would both be in a lot of trouble , i think your camouflage by qty is an interesting concept how well has it worked for ya?

i will check out the vid at home tonight when i get off work , no sound here thanks
but my uke is walnut top and back so i hope its not to bright

Here is a clip of a Kanile'a with walnut sides and back and a cedar top. Sounds really nice!!!

uh that is a Koolau not a Kanile'a.

Last edited:
I got a walnut claro super concert but it is not a Kanilea...sounds ssweet loud and has lots of resonation and substain...love mine to death...

I got a walnut claro super concert but it is not a Kanilea...sounds ssweet loud and has lots of resonation and substain...love mine to death...

great thats encouraging i played a Kanilea a few weeks ago standard tenor and it was very loud and rich sounding i almost purchased that one , it was koa but i fell in love with the walnut on this one after drooling over it for a few days on e-bay i just hope it sounds as good , the supers have a wider lower bout some one said somthing about it being the nicki manaj tenor ......nice.

It's a Kanile'a, it's bound to be good.

Dang, I hate when they get quiet, cause I know the explosion will come. It may not be today, but it could be tomorrow, or next week, or even next year. But it will come. And it won't be pretty.

Dave,

My wife's hobby are shoes and she sure as hell uses the critical mass theory on me!!! The critical mass theory is a good one. I can never tell when she buys a new pair. However, I just say "think of the big estate sale you are going to have and all the money you'll make selling my ukes... I am building you financial future honey!

Guess what? She didn't buy it! But she did ask "where do I sell them?", so she must be planning to knock me off! :)
Thus I need to order more ukes to really get that theory working to my advantage.

I've got a Tom Guy Blugrass tenor with Walnut back and sides tho it does have a spruce top and tuned Low G that I think sounds great. At least I did till My 29 year old Daughter Bethm83 a member here on UU came by and tried it out and liked it so much she stole it from me so now I'm without it for a while. I'm sure your going to like it but I'm not sure what the difference between the spruce versus cedar is going to change. My Collings UT-1 Mahogany that I recently got from Dana AK (DK the man with the crown) is strung Low G and we compared them when she was here and between those two the Bluegrass was a sinificantly brighter. I really liked the way the Bluegrass sounded but thought the Collings sounded better after hearing them side by side but we are talking about a Collings. Its hard to stand up to one of those. If I ever get the bluegrass back from her which i have a feeling may be awhile I'll have to video record a sound comparison between the two and let others here see what they think.
Congrats on your new uke. I know your going to love it.

If your wife has a spendy hobby, it helps keep the peace a bit, responsibility with finances aside because we assume you're an adult ;). I mean, with my killer ukes, I can't really say anything against my husband when he says he wants a big ole embarrassing-looking calabash pipe for Christmas. I get it. Same as when I geek out if we IM during work hours. If I send him uke p***, he sends me pipe p*** and we understand each other. Doesn't mean we can get all the cool toys at once, but it's nice when someone understands your UAS.

If she got quiet, if it were me, it would be about a communication breakdown. But that's me. And yeah, that stuff builds. Make sure she knows you can afford it, and make sure she knows that this isn't your world that she just happens to live in. Just sorta generic advice, but I hate to hear when couples can't understand each other's hobbies.

Top Bottom