Ukulele for babies?

uncle david

Reaction score
I am the proud father of twin girls(2 months old). I am thinking about their musical futures and would like to know what ukuleles I should buy them in a few years. I'd like something in the $50 or under price range, but with good intonation and playability. I know the Dolphin is often recommended and it looks like a viable option, but what else would you suggest?
Thanks in advance!
DSCF0738.jpg

I bought a pink Hilo for my 1 year old grand neice and it was a piece of junk. The gears on the tuners barely worked and even with the saddle filed all the way down it was unplayable. The silly thing was that it was only about $10 cheaper than a dolphin!

Don't get anything wood/pretend wood. In the early years they will bang and chew on the uke mostly and you'll want a uke that cleans up quickly. BTW both the Hilo and Dolphin use lead free paint. I tested them.

Firstly, congratulations! They're super cute :)

About the only advice I can give is at 1-2 years, when realistically, they'll start to comprehend how it all works, well-built trumps everything ;) I have a plywood yamaha guitarlele that is tough, and has so far survived my 7-month old son's teething/bashing etc as I play. I knew it was tough when it arrived in the post and the packaging was destroyed... but not a mark on the uke! But I don't let him grab and pull the strings too much, because strings might break or worse, the bridge might fly off.............

A second hand flea might be a good option?

Aren't they cute! Do you have pictures of them next to an ukulele???

They'll probably have lots of nice baby-proof ukes out in a year or two.

Congrats on the twins! I can't even imagine having two at a time; how are you awake enough to post?

I bought my kids a Makala Dolphin. It's cheap, has the potential to actually play (as opposed to a toy), and if it is destroyed then no big deal.

I am the proud father of twin girls(2 months old). I am thinking about their musical futures and would like to know what ukuleles I should buy them in a few years. I'd like something in the $50 or under price range, but with good intonation and playability. I know the Dolphin is often recommended and it looks like a viable option, but what else would you suggest?
Thanks in advance!
View attachment 46146

Watch my friend's Boy....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOwG7rawk-g&list=UUzxOs-g_v-cJ9isJzY9r5xw&index=19 he only likes customs..ha ha his first was a captains backpacker

Schoenhut have re-introduced ukuleles to their Catalogue with some built under licence Flea copies. Then the is Zither Heaven who's range is suppose to be very suitable for the young. the Tom Sopranino from China is quite nice, not a lot more than a Dolphin, (especially if you pay full price for the dolphin) and smaller so potentially good for small hands?

Thanks for all of the replies and kind words. Sorry I haven't responded yet. It's been a crazy weekend. I'll look into many of the suggestions here and hopefully there will be even more options in a couple years.

What's the ALL plastic one you see advertized in a swimming pool? That could possibly be used as a bath tub toy too.

Every baby needs one!

beautiful twins... double trouble in a few years.. Here's one of my favorite uke related cartoons

Attachments

• uke.jpg
    uke.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 12
I should have taken video of my 2yr4mo old son playing an orange mahalo u30 last night. He definitely needs more work on his strumming, he's a bit rough and catches the strings.

Top Bottom