PDA

View Full Version : I've committed to a Compass Rose!

mds725
12-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I met with Rick Turner today at his studio in Santa Cruz. He was nice enough to reserve a spot for me on his build list when I emailed him just under two weeks ago, and today we discussed particulars. Rick, whom I know from his ukulele build class at The Crucible, was a gracious and generous host. He took me on a tour of his work area (which included seeing some of the black acacia he acquired recently and what's left of Bob Hope's bar) and introduced me to his assistants, were also friendly and gracious. Rick also showed me the ukes he has in process, as well as a ton of other amazing woods he has. We decided on a spruce top ukulele with Amazon rosewood sides and back on a B style (tortoise binding, but no additional bling). (Additional details to be announced.) He also let me play his koa CR and his cherry CR. Beautiful instruments, both of them. Thanks to Rick for a great visit! Now the waiting....

jinsk90
12-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Thats exactly the same specs I ordered mds725. I got the Spruce top with Amazon Rosewood, with hemp binding. Even better, I've convinced my wife to allow me to fly or drive up to San Francisco early next year to pick the Uke up in Person. I went to school in the Bay Area, and its been 8 years since I've visited. Looking forward to meeting Rick and asking him stories about the psychadelic age. He must have some cool stories. Can't wait!!!!

hawaii 50
12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
I met with Rick Turner today at his studio in Santa Cruz. He was nice enough to reserve a spot for me on his build list when I emailed him just under two weeks ago, and today we discussed particulars. Rick, whom I know from his ukulele build class at The Crucible, was a gracious and generous host. He took me on a tour of his work area (which included seeing some of the black acacia he acquired recently and what's left of Bob Hope's bar) and introduced me to his assistants, were also friendly and gracious. Rick also showed me the ukes he has in process, as well as a ton of other amazing woods he has. We decided on a spruce top ukulele with Amazon rosewood sides and back on a B style (tortoise binding, but no additional bling). (Additional details to be announced.) He also let me play his koa CR and his cherry CR. Beautiful instruments, both of them. Thanks to Rick for a great visit! Now the waiting....

Sounds good MDS...did you get Rick's gloss polyester finish..if not you got to..it is the best finish i have seen! if you have not please reconsider..it is the best..

but only my 2 cents..in my opinion hard to beat CR in sound, finish, and price

mds725
12-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Sounds good MDS...did you get Rick's gloss polyester finish..if not you got to..it is the best finish i have seen! if you have not please reconsider..it is the best..

but only my 2 cents..in my opinion hard to beat CR in sound, finish, and price

I forgot to mention that I requested the gloss finish. I got it because Gary is getting it on his CR. :) (Gary - your uke is recovering nicely from its recent procedure, and the inlay on the fretboard is to die for.) There's a small surprise with my upcoming CR but for now I'm sworn to secrecy.

hawaii 50
12-07-2012, 02:31 PM
I forgot to mention that I requested the gloss finish. I got it because Gary is getting it on his CR. :) (Gary - your uke is recovering nicely from its recent procedure, and the inlay on the fretboard is to die for.) There's a small surprise with my upcoming CR but for now I'm sworn to secrecy.

Right on Mark..

my 2nd CR not going to be ready until sometime next year when i am back on Oahu..i told Rick to take his time

i hope Gary gets his soon..i want to try it out before i move back to Hawaii Haha

caukulele
12-07-2012, 03:06 PM
So glad you are getting a Compass Rose. Congratulations!!!! I have a fantastic Concert on order with Rick, also with the same Spruce top with Amazon Rosewood, gloss, and I can't wait. I am very honored to own a Tenor Compass Rose. As time goes by I still continue to be amazed at it's beauty and tone. When I play it, I feel like I have a full orchestra in my hands, and now my tenor will have a little sister with her own unique and splendid voice....

mm stan
12-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Aloha Markie,
Congrats Bruddah...wow another amazing ukulele.....holy moly....average of 1-2 new ones in a month ...Congrats to all the new compass rose buyers.
I wish I had one from Ricky too...maybe he has an extra amazing sounding one in his shop for me... do ya hear me Ricky...

gyosh
12-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Right on Mark..

my 2nd CR not going to be ready until sometime next year when i am back on Oahu..i told Rick to take his time

i hope Gary gets his soon..i want to try it out before i move back to Hawaii Haha

LOL . . . I didn't even know I was getting a special gloss finish. Thanks for the update. Rick's one of the top guys in the world for repair/design etc. so I'm guessing anything he does to mine will end up perfect.

Now you have me curious about the surprise.

Jazz cutaway?
Jumbo?
Flying buttress?

I saw the acacia in his shop when it still had the bark on it. The sequoia too actually (no bark though).

Len, I promise that even if you move first, on my next trip to Oahu I will bring it so you can play.

And last but not least Congratulations Mark!

Gillian
12-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Congratulations on getting into Rick's queue.

I see Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz just got 5 new Compass Roses. Will yours look something like this beauty? (http://www.sylvanmusic.com/inventory.php?function=view&id=2108&search=Ukuleles)

luluwrites
12-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Congratulations!

ksiegel
12-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Congrats, Mark! It will definitely be worth the wait!

I also realized I'd never posted the shot my wife took of me playing Rick's Koa Uke... I still salivate when I think about it!

-Kurt

hawaii 50
12-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Congrats, Mark! It will definitely be worth the wait!

I also realized I'd never posted the shot my wife took of me playing Rick's Koa Uke... I still salivate when I think about it!

-Kurt

Your turn next Kurt..what would you order if you had to right now?

mds725
12-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I also realized I'd never posted the shot my wife took of me playing Rick's Koa Uke... I still salivate when I think about it.

-Kurt

Sweet! You look blissful. While I was playing it I was looking for ways to escape with it.

Newportlocal
12-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Sweet! You look blissful. While I was playing it I was looking for ways to escape with it.

Congratulations on your order! I get excited every time I see a thread with Compass Rose in the title.

hawaii 50
12-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Congratulations on your order! I get excited every time I see a thread with Compass Rose in the title.

Me too Rich..my favorite subject Rick T. and Compass Rose...

ksiegel
12-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Blissful? Yeah, maybe. It was sweet. I really didn't want to give either of them back. I had to force myself.

Your turn next Kurt..what would you order if you had to right now?

If I had to order one right now, I'd ask for something like Rick's Cherry: Side sound port, not overly blinged, sweet sound, BUT one big difference. I've seen a video (I forget who was doing the contest) where there was a Compass Rose with a cutaway and no front sound hole, in the the style of Renaissance 6 (RS-6/RN-6) guitar. If THAT was loud enough with no amp, AND I had the money, I do it in a heartbeat.

But it will be a couple of years before the money is there, unless I decide to buy lottery tickets, and get the right ones.

=Kurt

gyosh
12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Blissful? Yeah, maybe. It was sweet. I really didn't want to give either of them back. I had to force myself.

If I had to order one right now, I'd ask for something like Rick's Cherry: Side sound port, not overly blinged, sweet sound, BUT one big difference. I've seen a video (I forget who was doing the contest) where there was a Compass Rose with a cutaway and no front sound hole, in the the style of Renaissance 6 (RS-6/RN-6) guitar. If THAT was loud enough with no amp, AND I had the money, I do it in a heartbeat.

But it will be a couple of years before the money is there, unless I decide to buy lottery tickets, and get the right ones.

=Kurt

That's Kelli'i

Pretty cool huh! It has the flying buttress supports inside and a huge side port. I never got to hear it, but I saw the bracing while it was being built.

Rick Turner
12-10-2012, 12:04 PM
That "no front soundhole" uke was pretty unique, and it works well. It is a fully acoustic instrument, and the side port was made larger to "tune" it with the top properly. It took us two tries on the top to get it to my satisfaction, but we got it, and we'll make more next year.

Right now we're concentrating on introducing our "Modele Jazz"...a micro-jumbo tenor with a cutaway and also our first baritone ukes.

fitncrafty
12-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Congrats! It sounds like an amazing day... I am sure it will be worth every minute of the wait! (Not that it will be easy to wait)

jackwhale
12-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Oh! Oh! Rick is talking baritones. I'm in trouble.

blue_knight_usa
12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Its time to start spending your kids inheritance! I told you that you were getting another, you just didn't know it yet. I won't say I told you so. ;-)

ksiegel
12-10-2012, 05:05 PM
That "no front soundhole" uke was pretty unique, and it works well. It is a fully acoustic instrument, and the side port was made larger to "tune" it with the top properly. It took us two tries on the top to get it to my satisfaction, but we got it, and we'll make more next year.

Right now we're concentrating on introducing our "Modele Jazz"...a micro-jumbo tenor with a cutaway and also our first baritone ukes.

When you told me about the baritones, I was intrigued.. I don't know if my arm will let me play comfortably on a bari, but perhaps one of these days.

You didn't mention the "micro-jumbo" while I was visiting, though. What's the shape like? I always liked the old-style Jumbo guitars - I've got an Epiphone SQ-180 with a sweet sound. The newer style "jumbos" look less like what I grew up calling a "jumbo" than a dreadnaught.

Of course, wither way, it will still be a couple of years before I can afford one. I started saving the day we visited the shop.

-Kurt

{By the way, Rick - How was the Gewertz?)

Rick Turner
12-10-2012, 05:58 PM
My "jumbo" shape profile is based on the 1934 Gibson Super 400 which was 18" across the lower bout. Freakin' huge! But I've reduced that shape down proportionately to a range of five other instruments...two guitar sizes and three uke sizes, and we've started doing cutaways on the tenor size. So I think the sizes are nano-jumbo (concert), micro-jumbo (tenor), mini-jumbo (baritone uke), midi-jumbo (15" guitar), jumbo-jumbo (16 1/4" guitar), and maxi jumbo (18" guitar). Of course the word play is half the fun! But the nice thing about the shape is that it's easy to work body sizes and scale lengths to put the bridge in a near-ideal spot on the lower bout...right close to the center where it can really pump the top.

With the "Modele Jazz", we're pushing the design into cutaway realm and using woods, trim, and fingerboard inlays (block pearl) that make the thing look like a miniature jazz guitar from the mid-1930s. If we did a 6 string, you'd not be able to tell it from a jazz guitar in a photo if we used small strings on it...other than the bridge. No tailpiece.

mm stan
12-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey Rick..Lookie at this 65 year old jumbo...monster sound...http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/ukestan/NewAquirements121212011-1.jpg

Johnny Uke
12-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Sounds like it's going to turn out awesome!, If you don't mind me asking, what does it cost to have a custom uke built?, I was considering it and I'm not too far from Santa Cruz.

Rick Turner
12-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Costs are dependent on woods, size, and degree of trim bling. Cutaways cost...they're a pain in the a.. to do. I'd say our prices are very much in line with other small shop boutique builders...and even with domestic major builders.

If you're anywhere near here, do make an appointment to come by...by all means!

mds725
12-10-2012, 07:46 PM

Well that was my secret. When I saw the baritone body in Rick's shop, that sealed the deal for me. A baritone Compass Rose! Woo hoo!

Rick Turner
12-11-2012, 09:16 AM
OH, the vino was wonderful, and she said so, too!

hawaii 50
12-11-2012, 09:49 AM

=Kurt

Hey Kurt

Yeah that is Kellii's CR..on the UU he is (Kelliyama) he one of Rick's biggest fan..i am one too..

if you send him a PM i am sure he can answer your questions on the sound etc..that guy loves his Compass Rose