I've committed to a Compass Rose!

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I met with Rick Turner today at his studio in Santa Cruz. He was nice enough to reserve a spot for me on his build list when I emailed him just under two weeks ago, and today we discussed particulars. Rick, whom I know from his ukulele build class at The Crucible, was a gracious and generous host. He took me on a tour of his work area (which included seeing some of the black acacia he acquired recently and what's left of Bob Hope's bar) and introduced me to his assistants, were also friendly and gracious. Rick also showed me the ukes he has in process, as well as a ton of other amazing woods he has. We decided on a spruce top ukulele with Amazon rosewood sides and back on a B style (tortoise binding, but no additional bling). (Additional details to be announced.) He also let me play his koa CR and his cherry CR. Beautiful instruments, both of them. Thanks to Rick for a great visit! Now the waiting....

Thats exactly the same specs I ordered mds725. I got the Spruce top with Amazon Rosewood, with hemp binding. Even better, I've convinced my wife to allow me to fly or drive up to San Francisco early next year to pick the Uke up in Person. I went to school in the Bay Area, and its been 8 years since I've visited. Looking forward to meeting Rick and asking him stories about the psychadelic age. He must have some cool stories. Can't wait!!!!

I met with Rick Turner today at his studio in Santa Cruz. He was nice enough to reserve a spot for me on his build list when I emailed him just under two weeks ago, and today we discussed particulars. Rick, whom I know from his ukulele build class at The Crucible, was a gracious and generous host. He took me on a tour of his work area (which included seeing some of the black acacia he acquired recently and what's left of Bob Hope's bar) and introduced me to his assistants, were also friendly and gracious. Rick also showed me the ukes he has in process, as well as a ton of other amazing woods he has. We decided on a spruce top ukulele with Amazon rosewood sides and back on a B style (tortoise binding, but no additional bling). (Additional details to be announced.) He also let me play his koa CR and his cherry CR. Beautiful instruments, both of them. Thanks to Rick for a great visit! Now the waiting....

Sounds good MDS...did you get Rick's gloss polyester finish..if not you got to..it is the best finish i have seen! if you have not please reconsider..it is the best..

but only my 2 cents..in my opinion hard to beat CR in sound, finish, and price

Sounds good MDS...did you get Rick's gloss polyester finish..if not you got to..it is the best finish i have seen! if you have not please reconsider..it is the best..

but only my 2 cents..in my opinion hard to beat CR in sound, finish, and price

I forgot to mention that I requested the gloss finish. I got it because Gary is getting it on his CR. :) (Gary - your uke is recovering nicely from its recent procedure, and the inlay on the fretboard is to die for.) There's a small surprise with my upcoming CR but for now I'm sworn to secrecy.

I forgot to mention that I requested the gloss finish. I got it because Gary is getting it on his CR. :) (Gary - your uke is recovering nicely from its recent procedure, and the inlay on the fretboard is to die for.) There's a small surprise with my upcoming CR but for now I'm sworn to secrecy.

Right on Mark..

my 2nd CR not going to be ready until sometime next year when i am back on Oahu..i told Rick to take his time

i hope Gary gets his soon..i want to try it out before i move back to Hawaii Haha

Last edited:
So glad you are getting a Compass Rose. Congratulations!!!! I have a fantastic Concert on order with Rick, also with the same Spruce top with Amazon Rosewood, gloss, and I can't wait. I am very honored to own a Tenor Compass Rose. As time goes by I still continue to be amazed at it's beauty and tone. When I play it, I feel like I have a full orchestra in my hands, and now my tenor will have a little sister with her own unique and splendid voice....

Aloha Markie,
Congrats Bruddah...wow another amazing ukulele.....holy moly....average of 1-2 new ones in a month ...Congrats to all the new compass rose buyers.
I wish I had one from Ricky too...maybe he has an extra amazing sounding one in his shop for me... do ya hear me Ricky...

Right on Mark..

my 2nd CR not going to be ready until sometime next year when i am back on Oahu..i told Rick to take his time

i hope Gary gets his soon..i want to try it out before i move back to Hawaii Haha

LOL . . . I didn't even know I was getting a special gloss finish. Thanks for the update. Rick's one of the top guys in the world for repair/design etc. so I'm guessing anything he does to mine will end up perfect.

Now you have me curious about the surprise.

Jazz cutaway?
Jumbo?
Flying buttress?

I saw the acacia in his shop when it still had the bark on it. The sequoia too actually (no bark though).

Len, I promise that even if you move first, on my next trip to Oahu I will bring it so you can play.

And last but not least Congratulations Mark!

Congratulations on getting into Rick's queue.

I see Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz just got 5 new Compass Roses. Will yours look something like this beauty?

Congratulations!

Congrats, Mark! It will definitely be worth the wait!

I also realized I'd never posted the shot my wife took of me playing Rick's Koa Uke... I still salivate when I think about it!

CR Koa.jpg

-Kurt​

I also realized I'd never posted the shot my wife took of me playing Rick's Koa Uke... I still salivate when I think about it.

-Kurt​

Sweet! You look blissful. While I was playing it I was looking for ways to escape with it.

Sweet! You look blissful. While I was playing it I was looking for ways to escape with it.

Congratulations on your order! I get excited every time I see a thread with Compass Rose in the title.

Blissful? Yeah, maybe. It was sweet. I really didn't want to give either of them back. I had to force myself.

Your turn next Kurt..what would you order if you had to right now?

If I had to order one right now, I'd ask for something like Rick's Cherry: Side sound port, not overly blinged, sweet sound, BUT one big difference. I've seen a video (I forget who was doing the contest) where there was a Compass Rose with a cutaway and no front sound hole, in the the style of Renaissance 6 (RS-6/RN-6) guitar. If THAT was loud enough with no amp, AND I had the money, I do it in a heartbeat.

But it will be a couple of years before the money is there, unless I decide to buy lottery tickets, and get the right ones.

=Kurt​

Blissful? Yeah, maybe. It was sweet. I really didn't want to give either of them back. I had to force myself.

If I had to order one right now, I'd ask for something like Rick's Cherry: Side sound port, not overly blinged, sweet sound, BUT one big difference. I've seen a video (I forget who was doing the contest) where there was a Compass Rose with a cutaway and no front sound hole, in the the style of Renaissance 6 (RS-6/RN-6) guitar. If THAT was loud enough with no amp, AND I had the money, I do it in a heartbeat.

But it will be a couple of years before the money is there, unless I decide to buy lottery tickets, and get the right ones.

=Kurt​

That's Kelli'i

Pretty cool huh! It has the flying buttress supports inside and a huge side port. I never got to hear it, but I saw the bracing while it was being built.

That "no front soundhole" uke was pretty unique, and it works well. It is a fully acoustic instrument, and the side port was made larger to "tune" it with the top properly. It took us two tries on the top to get it to my satisfaction, but we got it, and we'll make more next year.

Right now we're concentrating on introducing our "Modele Jazz"...a micro-jumbo tenor with a cutaway and also our first baritone ukes.

Congrats! It sounds like an amazing day... I am sure it will be worth every minute of the wait! (Not that it will be easy to wait)

Oh! Oh! Rick is talking baritones. I'm in trouble.

Top Bottom