how long before "uke" is accepted?

Harold O.

Reaction score
It's a minor annoyance, to be sure, but spellcheckers keep highlighting "uke" when I type. Of course we all use it. And it even happens here at the UU forum.

So the question is: how much longer do you suppose it will be before the world at large (or at least those in charge of making computer dictionaries) come around and decide that "uke" is acceptable?

Probably not soon. In whatever program, as long as all they do is highlight as opposed to autocorrect, no harm done.

In some programs you can easily add the word to an exceptions dictionary. Doesn't address the root of the problem but fixes it locally.

So the question is: how much longer do you suppose it will be before the world at large (or at least those in charge of making computer dictionaries) come around and decide that "uke" is acceptable?

It'll pass the spellcheckers now if you use the popularly accepted term: toy guitar.

It'll pass the spellcheckers now if you use the popularly accepted term: toy guitar.

heh heh

I have it set on my home computer's dictionary to let it pass, so I know how to deal with it. My question is more a curiosity than anything else. Think of the terms dictionaries recognize now that they didn't just a few years ago.

There are a host of computer ones like internet, online, modem, fax. Yahoo works but Google doesn't unless you capitalize it. Of course a yahoo can be a loud goofball, or an internet website (all of which words pass muster here on the UU dictionary filter—though UU does not).

Spellchecker Top Tip #5,291

When the boss' PA is out to lunch, edit the autocorrect in Microsoft Word on her PC to insert rude words in place of the surnames of all members of staff on a higher salary than you.

Spellchecker Top Tip #5,291

When the boss' PA is out to lunch, edit the autocorrect in Microsoft Word on her PC to insert rude words in place of the surnames of all members of staff on a higher salary than you.

An exceptional idea. And, on top of that, autocorrect the boss' PA's name over that of his wife.

An exceptional idea. And, on top of that, autocorrect the boss' PA's name over that of his wife.

A most excellent refinement dear boy. You are welcome to join my group of International Anti-Superhero Criminal Masterminds. Just as soon as my mum finishes designing the outfits.

People have been saying "uke" forever lol. I don't think you'll be seeing it on a spell check dictionary anytime soon.

Why do we use "uke", and other instrument players don't use shortened versions of their names?

You-koo-lay-lee
gee-tar
ban-jo
man-do-lin (to be fair, they use "mando")

It's all in the syllables, my friend.

I use 'uke' all the time but I'm never happy to see a baritone referred to as a 'bari'.
Of course I call our instrument an 'ookulele' but uke becomes a 'yooke'. Never an 'ooke'.

My iPad always tries to capitalize it. That is very annoying. Or maybe the iPad is just showing it the proper amount of respect.

Top Bottom