How to pronounce Aquila properly

hammer40

Reaction score
so... 'a kwee lah
good to know!

It's actually from the Latin for Eagle.

There was another big thread somewhere where it was discussed too! Ah-kwee-lah:nana:

with emphasis on the ah

Ah, were it just so simple as to pronounce a word as it is pronounced in its original language. But there are things called translation and transliteration. Lt's not get into the oo coo lay lay / you ku lay lee controversy over strings. Regional dialects also come into play. When you buy from someone in Ory gun or Ora gone, neither on of them sound like the French pronunciation...and it is a French word.
If you are going to pick and chose which words retain the original language sound, and which ones get adapted into another language, allow for others to do the same thing. These great white and now red strings are going to be one of those words.

Now that everyone in the US is going to pronounce Aquila properly, let's perhaps move on to how to pronounce D'Addario. This is an old string company, also originally from Italy.

I have noticed that most US uke players pronounce it 'dee-ad-ario. In fact, it should be pronounced dad'dario. Oddly enough, most guitar players seem to pronounce it correctly.

aaaah, it's kinda sad having myths shattered. Bit like finding out there's no santa...guess I'll just keep putting akwilla strings on my yookalele and sit in the corner :p

I believe they are bot pronounced 'Baerlusconi'

Now that everyone in the US is going to pronounce Aquila properly, let's perhaps move on to how to pronounce D'Addario. This is an old string company, also originally from Italy.

I have noticed that most US uke players pronounce it 'dee-ad-ario. In fact, it should be pronounced dad'dario. Oddly enough, most guitar players seem to pronounce it correctly.

Fortunately I pronounced D'Addario properly, but can you help me pronounce the name of that new brand of strings out of the U.K.?

I think its "luh-VEENG way-TEER" but I could be wrong. ;)

Interesting stuff, Ken!

When I was a mediocre guitarist in my early teens and 20s in Canada... I definitely used to say DA-DAR-RIO. Now that I understand Italian prononciation much better... I know that all double consonants are pronounced in Italian! So, it's DAD-DARIO indeed.

I'm now a reformed pronunciation man in his declining years. hehe

Pete

Ah, were it just so simple as to pronounce a word as it is pronounced in its original language. But there are things called translation and transliteration. Lt's not get into the oo coo lay lay / you ku lay lee controversy over strings. Regional dialects also come into play. When you buy from someone in Ory gun or Ora gone, neither on of them sound like the French pronunciation...and it is a French word.
If you are going to pick and chose which words retain the original language sound, and which ones get adapted into another language, allow for others to do the same thing. These great white and now red strings are going to be one of those words.

As dear departed former Senator Paul Simon -- from Illinois, Land of Lincoln -- once wrote: "You can buy in any language, but you must sell in the language of the buyer."

If you're purchasing Aquila strings, you get to pronounce them any way you like. LOL

As dear departed former Senator Paul Simon -- from Illinois, Land of Lincoln -- once wrote: "You can buy in any language, but you must sell in the language of the buyer."

If you're purchasing Aquila strings, you get to pronounce them any way you like. LOL

While this may work for many (and it does, for sure), it's nice information for those who would like it.

Could we maybe pin this thread at the top somehow so it stays where people can find it easily in their search for how these are pronounced?

:)

Top Bottom