Saw some new ukes

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Yesterday I stopped in at Kaye's music scene in Reseda, and he had some new models I haven't seen before.

Kala F-Hole Tenor Solid Acacia with pickup and side hole - not an arch top. I don't even seen this model on the Kala web site. It actually sounds great - not just to the players through the side hole but also when someone else plays it. Looks cool too. As I recall the price was around $250 which made it a great deal for a solid uke with a pickup. I'd be tempted to get it just for the uniqueness and coolness factor but I certainly don't need another tenor.

Kala slot head light tenor Mahogany (Okoume). As I recall this was also around $250. The wood was quite beautiful and it was one of the lightest tenors I've ever held. They also make it in a concert but without the slothead. It was very resonant, very nice. Both of these Kalas were amazing deals for the price.

He also added some Makai ukes. He has a soprano with a June Berry body and cedar top for $190. He also had a couple of maple with cedar top, one in concert and one tenor. The June Berry soprano really stood out. It had a really resonant tone and was incredibly loud for a soprano. A bit deeper in sound and a bit less trebly than most sopranos. I loved it but have plenty of sopranos already.

These were all some really great, very nice sounding very playable ukes and extremely reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear good things about the Kala light tenor. I've been eyeing it, but, as you say, "I certainly don't need another tenor". Your six-sentence review might push me over the edge.

That new Kala Acacia f hole looks exactly like their new reso-ukes, without the reso.

Top Bottom