43rd Season of the Uke: Mash-Up Madness!

austin1

Reaction score
Hey all! I failed at making a video this week because this presentation I have on Monday is eating my soul with a side salad. But anyway, it's week 43 of the uke--which means you have to do what I say* and that is MASH-UPS.

*Yes, I am five years old on the inside.

I love mash-ups with all of my weird little heart. The stranger and more random the mash-up is, the better, and there's not much cooler than hearing two songs that don't belong together somehow work. One time, at UWC, Colin and I mashed up T-Pain's "Buy You a Drink" with the traditional Irish "Oh Danny Boy." It was awesome. I think there's a video on the internet somewhere.

What I'm trying to say is, mash-ups are awesome and now it's your turn to blow my mind with some amazing seasonista mash-up madness!

The rules are pretty standard:

--There's no limit to how many songs you can mash, but by definition, there should be at least two. Otherwise, it's not a mash-up, it's just a song.

--Song choice is completely up to you. There is NO theme, and NO genre.

--The deadline is Sunday at midnight. Not really one for counting time zones, so have them in before I wake up on Monday morning.

--Please say it's for the 43rd season, and if you post your video elsewhere, please provide a link to the season thread.

--Because of the nature of the beast, please title your entry with whatever songs you're mashing, so we know!

--Multitracking IS allowed. Not a requirement, of course, but I'm throwing it in there to give people that extra bit of freedom, if they want. Nongdam, loop pedals are also allowed. YAY!

Bonus points for creativity, awesomeness, and randomness!

The judges are me, myself, and probably my boyfriend/sister if I can convince them to stop being studious and watch a lot of Youtube videos with me. Boyfriend is 26, I'm 24, and my sister is 20 so while you're free to choose whatever songs you want, I'm going to go ahead and conjecture that our favorite mash-ups will probably be those where we know at least one of the songs. What I mean is, the chances that we have heard the songs you're mashing drop the farther away you get from the 90's, unless you're doing classic anything, musicals, folk, or Queen. Don't let this stop you from doing your favorite revolutionary war ballad, but consider making said revolutionary war ballad extra awesome to make up for the fact that we've (probably) never heard it before.

Edit: On second thought, this rule probably does not apply to my boyfriend. He's German, and they know all the American songs from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, provided said songs have been remixed to a really awful techno beat.

As always, I'll update the playlists frequently.

Official entries: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-PdguYv0KETHoLbuiUtPZI7mMAqAbILZ&feature=mh_lolz
Bonus entries: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-PdguYv0KEQp52JV7VK3iWAKWQcoJ9SN&feature=view_all

Also, I probably won't be commenting on the videos much this week because I'd like to do another results video at the end. And I'm flying to America on Saturday to hang with my parents for Christmas.

PRIZES! Will be whatever random crap I can scrounge up for you at the local Christmas market. Yay!

Possibly helpful videos:

Duo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6I2LNYOBLs

Duo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrR-WD1lPQw

Single dude http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEb70ZAAiLw

Single dude http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtfZi7Mi6RE

That being said...

HAPPY MASHING!

Edit:What is the difference between a medley, a remix, and a mash-up?

Excellent question.

A medley is generally multiple songs, related in some way (artist, theme, genre), sung one after the other

A remix is generally a single song in which the tempo or style has been changed.

A mash-up is generally when parts of songs are combined to make a whole new song. Singing the lyrics of Song A to the tune of Song B is not a mash-up. Singing the first verse of Song A with the chorus of Song B is a mash-up. Singing the first two lines of the bridge of Song A with the first two lines of the chorus of Song B is a mash-up. The melody of each song stays the same, but the ability of two melodies to work together in a new way is what makes the mash-up. Any Youtube search for "mash-up" should give you a good idea.

There is of course significant overlap between the three, but those are the guidelines.

Last edited:
So a mash-up is like a medley, right?

"A mashup or is a song or composition created by blending two or more pre-recorded songs, usually by overlaying the vocal track of one song seamlessly over the instrumental track of another"

Hi, Tina... as someone who is considerably older than U, and only vaguely familiar with mash-ups, (tho' i do love them) I wonder if U would mind explaining here exactly what your definition of mash-up is... for instance, and this would probably be my most important question... would all the lyrics to each song have to remain true to the original? I tend to be one who substitutes lyrics at will - whether it's becuz i think the original could use improvement, or just to suit my own purposes.... i happen to think it's fun, fair use of creative license, and sometimes maybe even an improvement over the original..... OR even just a way of updating, making it more relevant to current times... whatever the reason, is any of that allowed? I have yet to even enter a season, being both technologically challenged & camera shy, but just in case this could be the week of my debut, LOL, or in case others of my generation are wondering similar things, would U mind spelling out what is OK in a mash-up & what is not?? Many thanks!!

This will either serve as inspiration or drive you into madness. Perhaps both.

This helps me figure out what I need to do and I think I might be a little bit of a loon as well:eek:

Will just wait til I see a few entries before I even think about this one.

Same here; perhaps I'm older than I thought, but I'm rather at a loss. Hopefully some other entries will turn on a light bulb somewhere in my brain. :confused:

This helps me figure out what I need to do and I think I might be a little bit of a loon as well:eek:

My advice is when you think of two songs, don't go with it and go even more extreme!! Make it fun!

For example, I just got a new Ukulele Christmas CD and they had Mele Kalikimaka and Jingle Bell Mashup...TOO EASY

Here's another example of a mashup, a friend of mine singing the Gilligan's Island Theme to the tune of Stairway to Heaven...

Sometimes, to change things up I sing Bob Seger's "Katmandu" to the tune of "That Old Time Rock 'n Roll".
:p

Here's another example of a mashup, a friend of mine singing the Gilligan's Island Theme to the tune of Stairway to Heaven...

love this, you can also do amazing grace to this, but,...
isn't this a remix not a mashup?

I suppose it's up to the host, but I always thought there was a difference between "mashup" and "sung to the tune of"

Here is the most random mashup in ukulele world I have ever seen ... but it seems to work quite well

Yeah, I guess both Dave and Pootsie are right. To qualify as a mashup, the lyrics are sung faithful to their origin but with an entirely different melody.

Well drat. Here, I had just figured out that the lyrics to Eazy E's 1988 classic hiphop tune Boyz-N-the-Hood fit perfectly into the melody of Hotel California, but that would be a "to the tune of..." not a true mashup.

a great idea...but might prove to be one of the hardest themes to come up with...
a tremendous challenge tina! will have to put on my extra large thinking cap for this one!!

Top Bottom